• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Russian Calf by C & J

Harrydog

Reaction score
Just got these in special order from C & J - the Albany made up in Russian Calf. I am very happy with the outcome. Intially, I was a little displeased with the metal eyelets, ( they were put on at C & J's recommendation) but I have come to think that they suit the rustic look of the leather.

img1157x.jpg

img1158q.jpg

img1159a.jpg

I have been looking at the RTW offerings at New & Lingwood for a few years, but like the style of the Albany better. The price was better as well.

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice ^^
Would you mind letting us know what you paid for them?

Harrydog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenStyle
Nice ^^
Would you mind letting us know what you paid for them?

A good price....slightly less than at New & Lingwood.
I knew my size in the 337 last and the New & Lingwood pics didn't do a very good job of conveying the look of the brogued captoe they had. My understanding is that C & J make the N&L shoes (as well as the RTW for Cleverley) I inquired with Cleverley and was told they only use the Russian Calf on bespoke orders.

So, it was off to C & J and I am very pleased with the outcome.

Last edited:

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gongrats on the extremely nice looking shoes. Very well done.

agoldf

Reaction score
Nice. I see why you are uncertain about the eyelets, but I think it works either way.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The steel eyelets look great. Perhaps ditch the black laces and use brown ones instead.

Is this the Russian Calf as found on the sunken ship...or another type?

andreyb2

Reaction score
I thought that apart of N&L, russian calf is bespoke exclusive...

Nice!

Andrey

Winot

Reaction score
Does anyone know how much extra it costs to use Russian calf on Cleverley bespoke? Their 'standard' bespoke is £2300 inc. trees.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329
The steel eyelets look great. Perhaps ditch the black laces and use brown ones instead.

Is this the Russian Calf as found on the sunken ship...or another type?

laces and eyelets are not black. i was tricked, too, though fwiw, they could have a more congruent colour to the leather.

actually it's reindeer.

russian calf is a typical i-gent innovation.

Harrydog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
i would have gotten sunken eyelets. was that an option - between the leather lining and the top lining.

C&J didn't really consult with me on eyelet options...they just went ahead with this particular production. When I asked about it after the fact, they said that was their preferred way to make the shoes, citing recommendations from previous customers as to how the leather wore. Turn around time was excellent. I placed the order in mid July and got the shoes last week. And that was with them working around the August holiday. There was also some delay because their senior clicker was out ill for a week or so and they waitied until he returned to cut the pattern. All in all, aside from the eyelet lack of communication, I was very impressed with C&J's service. I would use them again for a special order, but I wonder if they will allow the choice of different lasts when ordering from catalog styles. I suspect not. John Lobb doesn't, and that puzzles me. I love the fact that at EG you can take a pattern and have it made up in any of their lasts.

Color is dark brown for the eyelets and laces. I can see the suggestion for a lighter colored lace, but I have a hell of time sourcing a variety of lace styles.

N&L is the only place I know that sells Russian calf RTW, but my understanding that C&J made those shoes (which C&J more or less confirmed) led me to pursue the purchase directly through C&J in a last and style I preferred over what N&L had. The fact that C&J makes at least the regular Cleverley RTW and perhaps even the Anthony Cleverley line as well made me wonder whether that would allow them to source the hides that Cleverley only produces on their bespoke options. (According to a NY Times article from 2006, the price of bespoke Russian calf is $4,200 or so.)

I worked with Kevin Hill who is the manager at the NY store. He provided excellent service. I had to laugh a little when he responded to my initial query by saying that he would inquire with Mr. Jones regarding my request. I guess there really is a Mr. Jones at the helm of Crockett & Jones.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
laces and eyelets are not black. i was tricked, too, though fwiw, they could have a more congruent colour to the leather.

actually it's reindeer.

We can't claim this one. Savvy luxury goods marketers were getting a premium for the stuff long before there were iGents.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
actually it's reindeer.

Originally Posted by DocHolliday
We can't claim this one. Savvy luxury goods marketers were getting a premium for the stuff long before there were iGents.

The name is actually ‘Russia Calf’ and it was vegetal tanned leather, stuffed with birch oil. The tanning and finish of this leather
was one of the best-kept secrets of Tsarist Russia: the various production steps were carried out at different locations
and so it all got lost in the aftermath of the Revolution.

The shoe photographed is of Russia Calf Leather and is one of a pair made for the Paris Exhibition of 1937, at which the Firm was awarded the "Diplome d'honneur". Willow or analine calf are used these days since Russia Calf is no longer made.

http://www.johnlobbltd.co.uk/history/bwpages/2.htm
Right from 1973 on the Metta Catherina leather was frequently called Russia Calf
(after all, ‘calf’ are the young of many animals, not just domestic cattle).

http://www.newandlingwood.com/information.phtml

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads