• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Russell Moccasins v. Alden Indy Boots?

agfachrome25

Reaction score
Trying to decide between a pair of Russell Moc "Imperial" hunting boots (14 week wait) or Alden Indy work boots. Anybody care to comment on differences in build quality, leather, workmanship between these two brands? Although Russells are custom made the Alden boots are quite stylish and utilize materials--cork bottoms, cotton canvas duck, waxed leathers--which I covet in a contemporary yet vintage-looking shoe style.

Regards,

Lesli

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for what it's worth, I have gotten MANY, many miles out of the alden boots. i had a pair in college, used them for several years.

I bought a pair in May, and have been wearing them almost every day here in Iraq-- great construction, just make sure you get a spare pair of shoelaces! Mine finally broke in two places, have to replace them with some other kind of bootlace today.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have any experience with Russell, although those that do give them high marks.

My Indy boots were incredibly comfortable right out of the box, and I love the way they look. If you go with them, remember that the last is a bit large, so you'll want to size down (I'm normally a 10.5, but took a 10 in the Indy boots).

Luckyguy

Reaction score
+1
I don't have any experience with Russell, but I have owned my Indy boots for almost two years and they are comfortable right out of the box. For some reason, they look a lot better in person than the picture in the website and they look even better after you break them in.

minimal

Reaction score
+1.

The Alden 405 (which has the nickname "Indy" since it was used in the Indiana Jones movies) has a bit of a strange last: in my experience the heel seems very large and very, well, cupped. I have wide feet, so it's strange for *any* part of the shoe to be too wide, but on my first try I got a pair too wide in the heel. Just FYI.

They're great, as everyone says, and a bit of a "stealth" boot: not many people have them, and they are pretty versatile. Because the welt is extended only on the forward 3/4 of the shoe, they can look surprisingly good with a pair of heavy tweed or flannel trousers. Part of this is also due to some nice detailing in the heel, which is a stack of different colors of leather and rubber. People who notice shoes will definitely see that these aren't ordinary workboots.

Also check out the version at Alden Fan, which is in an oiled olive green with a vibram sole, instead of the unique cork/rubber composite sole that comes on the 405.

Additional note: this boot comes in an incredible range of widths: I think AA through EE. A blessing for those of us with hard-to-fit feet.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've no experience with the Indy Boots but I have a few pairs of Russells, including the Imperial (in kangaroo). They're great boots.

krymparoolg.gif

wheelerray

Reaction score
I want a pair of Russels soooo bad. Still saving up.

agfachrome25

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I have extremely small feet so I hope the Indy boots will even work for me. Russells seem ideal since they're totally customizable (in Russells, I'm looking at the French veal and Horween leathers). Alden wins points for sheer classic style (especially in the shape of the heal and cork sole). Anyone recommend vendor from which to purchase the Aldens? Please send along any jpeg images you might have of your "real world" alden boots. I've only seen a few catalogue images.

I'm definitely looking for the kind of item one might find in a 1920s product catalogue for workboots..

agfachrome25

Reaction score
One more thing: what do people think of the pull up tab option on lace-up boots. Functional, yes. But does it disrupt the line/shape/profile of the boot?

Also, what's ideal height for ankle style boots (if I go with custom boots rather than the Indys)?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads