• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ItsLouis

Reaction score
Hey Style forum,
I bought a pair of tasselled loafers (which I've been desperate for) today and am now a little unsure about my purchase. At £185, they were slightly more than I wanted to spend and I am conscious that they are a little thinner in the body and on the sole than I'm used to. Has anybody got any experience with Russell & Bromley shoes?
Also if anybody could recommend a brand for these loafers, I would be appreciative. I was considering Crockett & Jones instead.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
C&J far out rank R&B. Personally I find that R&B compare most with Loake in terms of quality.

Not Ed Harris

Reaction score
Generally, for the amount of money you pay at Russell & Bromley, you can probably do a lot better elsewhere. I've got a couple of pairs from there, and they're alright, but I got them at a pretty deep discount.

ItsLouis

Reaction score
Thank you for confirming my suspicions. I thought C&J or Churchs would probably make me a little more comfortable with parting with the money. I'm in San Francisco soon and am going to go to Alden for possible replacements. I hear they are very good.

mrjames

Reaction score
I like russel and bromley style wise, I only have experience with their dress shoes- I own a pair of brown oxfords.

They have thin soles so they look quite sleek, but they needed resoling after 1 year, the leather isn't the greatest, it's thin and not very resilient to creasing, but it takes a patina well

Loake and barker probably make a 'better' shoe for the same money, but it won't look as good

crocket and jones is similar in style, but definitely a step up in quality.

Russell and bromley will serve you well as long as you take regular care of them and use conditioner a lot- and don't wear them in the rain, my barker shoes will laugh at rain but my bromley's get into quite a mess

The Big T

Reaction score
Having owned two pairs of pretty sleek calf leather loafers for the best part of 16 years from RB I would have to say the quality is pretty damn good, comfort wise they were the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn. Ever. I have since bought some Magnannis, Gucci's, Ferragamos and only the Guccis and Ferragamos have gotten close to them in comfort.

They have been resoled countless times and have only given up because of my ill treatment of them.

If they still made the same shoes I'd buy a cupboard full of them.

Astaroth

Reaction score
Having owned two pairs of pretty sleek calf leather loafers for the best part of 16 years from RB I would have to say the quality is pretty damn good, comfort wise they were the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn. Ever. I have since bought some Magnannis, Gucci's, Ferragamos and only the Guccis and Ferragamos have gotten close to them in comfort.

R&B have changed their proposition since you bought your shoes 16 years ago unfortunately. They have significantly reduced the quality of their materials and construction methods.

If you want quality or durability then Loake or Barker are better at that price point but may not be as fashionable.

Churches, and even more C&J, are clearly better on most counts but then are at a very different price point.

The Big T

Reaction score
They certainly have, I had a good look recently and none of them appealed at all.

I have since reached the conclusion that in terms of look and comfort, I am having to pay alot more for my shoes these days, the problem now being I am buying far more than is necessary XD

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads