• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Running

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I hate running. Really, really hate it.

However, my pool is closed until September for resurfacing and other rennovation. Not doing anything seems like a bad idea. Walking is OK but the walking thread indicates that this is the ***** option.

So that leaves running.

What do I need to know, beyond the fact that I have to go to Foot Locker?

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well there are lots of other things then running. If you hate running running is going to end up being a chore. One you won't do.

If you like biking. HIIT on an stationary bike every other day is an option. Doesn't take long.

If you want something simple and cheap. Step ups with a couple of dumbbells. With enough weight and tempo this can turn into HIIT.

You could do breathing squats.

bigbjorn

Reaction score
I used to hate running too. Then I started to run more and I realized that I only hate the first four miles. After that, it suddenly becomes fun, and even sort of effortless. So you might try it...

Bicycling is also enjoyable, but takes more time/kcal.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton

However, my pool is closed until September for resurfacing and other rennovation. Not doing anything seems like a bad idea. Walking is OK but the walking thread indicates that this is the ***** option.

So that leaves running.

The first thing you need to know is NOT to go to Foot Locker. Go to a running shoe store. Have them analyze your gait and recommend an appropriate shoe.

Dynamic stretching, not static.

Get your distance first. Pace is irrelevant at the beginning.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
The first thing you need to know is NOT to go to Foot Locker. Go to a running shoe store. Have them analyze your gait and recommend an appropriate shoe.

Damn you are the second person who has said this. What a pain.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

http://www.paragonsports.com/webapp/...ent=visitstore

smile.gif

bigbjorn

Reaction score
No. Jack Rabbit sports on 14th or SuperRunners. Not Paragon.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So that leaves running.

Since you're coming in from a virtually zero impact sport [swimming] running is actually quite violent/jarring in comparison, you need to get acclimatized to it. Don't be afraid/embarrassed to do a walk to run program even if you think you have great cardiovascular fitness.

I see this a lot with guys who cycle or swim a lot and can barely finish two miles running. Its not because they are out of shape - its just that running is like yoga - where it so much tougher than it seems. Slow jogs 10min/mile can be just as rewarding.

if you're lucky enough to eventually feel a runner's high then you might end up liking it. the runner's high for me is when my mind goes blank and I start to feel and hear everything - my breathing, the birds in the trees, the large truck down the street, feeling the rhythm of the footfalls and even pebbles under my feet. It takes about 10min or a mile and a half for it to kick in for me.

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Well, then allow me to be the third to say it.
smile.gif
Fleet feet, Luke's Locker, any place that runners tend to frequent and the staff will watch you run while trying on shoes. The watching thing is important and helped me overcome some knee issues I had.

Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
Since you're coming in from a virtually zero impact sport [swimming] running is actually quite violent/jarring in comparison, you need to get acclimatized to it. Don't be afraid/embarrassed to do a walk to run program even if you think you have great cardiovascular fitness.

I see this a lot with guys who cycle or swim a lot and can barely finish two miles running. Its not because they are out of shape - its just that running is like yoga - where it so much tougher than it seems. Slow jogs 10min/mile can be just as rewarding.

if you're lucky enough to eventually feel a runner's high then you might end up liking it. the runner's high for me is when my mind goes blank and I start to feel and hear everything - my breathing, the birds in the trees, the large truck down the street, feeling the rhythm of the footfalls and even pebbles under my feet. It takes about 10min or a mile and a half for it to kick in for me.

...also consider SAID - Specific Adaptation to Imposed Demands, which means that cardiovascular fitness is not quite portable between dissimilar activities. Lance Armstrong is a good example of this, after he retired from cycling he ran the NYC marathon and remarked about how difficult it was to finish!

runner-guy

Reaction score
Manton, I'm actually the opposite of you. I get pissed when I can't run. I have to go to the podiatrist next week because I think I might have a neuroma and I'm ******* pissed. After 4-5 miles, my right foot starts hurting bad. I've run 10K races and half-marathons and never had a problem until a few weeks ago.

Anyway, I agree with others to go to a running store. The people who work at Foot Locker won't know **** about running shoes.

3cyr3

Reaction score
I started running to training, coupled with the 20 mins of skipping when i get there and it gave me shin splints. From what i understand now, it was a combination of poor running shoe choice and my running style... The short of it is don't trust the pressure pad things they use at footlocker, because evidently the way i run is different to the way i walk.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love running. I'll echo the sentiments in this thread and say you'll probably hate it at first though. However, once you get accustomed its rhythm and demands, running is quite rewarding. I mean, I used to loathe running up inclines for example. Now, I attempt to include them in my runs as often as possible.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
...also consider SAID - Specific Adaptation to Imposed Demands, which means that cardiovascular fitness is not quite portable between dissimilar activities. Lance Armstrong is a good example of this, after he retired from cycling he ran the NYC marathon and remarked about how difficult it was to finish!

you're totally correct.

he was also trying to run his first marathon in under 3hours with a pace setter and minimal training. So basically he was using his genetically superior VO2 max and obscenely high pain tolerance and just suffered through it.

thats kind of the road cyclist way of dealing with it though (because road cycling training is basically a huge sufferfest).

it would be interesting to see if kenyans could translate their superior genes/lungs/Red Blood Cell count to road cycling. They've already got the "teaming up even if its quasi-illegal" and helping each other win a race part going.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
you're totally correct.

he was also trying to run his first marathon in under 3hours with a pace setter and minimal training. So basically he was using his genetically superior VO2 max and obscenely high pain tolerance and just suffered through it.

(...)

Oh, jeez. NY, with the last few miles in Central Park, in under 3 hours, for a first timer? Good Googly-Moogly.

Oh, btw: very timely topic. Early registration (qualifiers) for the Chevron marathon is now open, and I just put my entry in. Geronimo!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads