• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Running

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to loathe running until I took a 5km learn to run clinic through my local Y. They taught me how run properly and build up your endurance through intervals.

Bits of Advice:

Buy shoes from a store the specializes in running, fit is just as critical as the pair of Alden Bluchers we want to buy so know your foot, is it narrow, wide, do you over pronate, have flat feet, stuff like that. Get a proper fit and your feet will thank you.

Join a running group with people in the same boat as you are. Start slow and build up.

I have been running off and on since 2009 and currently I'm doing 11 minute run one min walk intervals for 45 min on the treadmill and road along with a weight training routine. I feel great and I'm feeling leaner than I have been for a few years.

I have gone from hating running because I sucked at it in phys-ed class to loving it, running has become a form of zen meditation for me.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate running too. Just eat less, lift weights and get in a decent walk now and then.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
There's a lot of debate on this, but the best way to tone your body, increase metabolism and approve appearance is to weight train. To keep love handles in check, you need to lower your body fat levels, improve toning, and raise your metabolism.

Because you're a beginner, full body workouts 3x a week in a circuit would do wonders for you. Elevated heart rates, increasing strength and gaining a bit of mass (which I can assure you you probably need, after losing 100lbs.) Spend some money on a great trainer, that's the best advice I can give. You can buy books and all of that but just get someone knowledgeable to show you.

I don't have time for that though. I think I will have to be ok getting gradually fatter over the years. I do walk about 2 miles per day...

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
There's a lot of debate on this, but the best way to tone your body, increase metabolism and approve appearance is to weight train. To keep love handles in check, you need to lower your body fat levels, improve toning, and raise your metabolism. Because you're a beginner, full body workouts 3x a week in a circuit would do wonders for you. Elevated heart rates, increasing strength and gaining a bit of mass (which I can assure you you probably need, after losing 100lbs.) Spend some money on a great trainer, that's the best advice I can give. You can buy books and all of that but just get someone knowledgeable to show you.
I didn't comment but there is merit to this, particularly if you do both weight training and running. Years ago I got pretty skinny on this sort of regimen - although I was single and a lot younger back then. As an alternative (because I hate schlepping to the gym at 4:30 in the morning), I'm looking at yoga.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I don't have time for that though. I think I will have to be ok getting gradually fatter over the years. I do walk about 2 miles per day...

I always wonder about people who say they don't have time. The ******* President works out like 5 times a week. Don't say you don't have time, just say you don't want to.

shawmutt

Reaction score
I also didn't have time. I have two toddlers, a wife, a house, an acre of land, a job with a long commute, etc. etc. That's what was so nice about the couch to 5K (C25K) program. It starts off with 20 minutes of walking/jogging, and who can't squeeze 20 minutes somewhere. Over the past 7 months I've been slowly expanding that time out.

I gave up things that didn't matter--internet surfing, video gaming, my motorcycle, etc. and replaced them with things that do matter--namely daily exercise, guitar practice, and keeping active with my kids and wife. I'm looking for things that improve my life, not be complacent and watch my life pass me by.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I always wonder about people who say they don't have time. The ******* President works out like 5 times a week. Don't say you don't have time, just say you don't want to.

This. I was in b-school while training for my first marathon, and I'm once again in evening classes as I train for my second (and maybe third and fourth, depending)

Originally Posted by shawmutt
I also didn't have time. I have two toddlers, a wife, a house, an acre of land, a job with a long commute, etc. etc. That's what was so nice about the couch to 5K (C25K) program. It starts off with 20 minutes of walking/jogging, and who can't squeeze 20 minutes somewhere. Over the past 7 months I've been slowly expanding that time out.

I gave up things that didn't matter--internet surfing, video gaming, my motorcycle, etc. and replaced them with things that do matter--namely daily exercise, guitar practice, and keeping active with my kids and wife. I'm looking for things that improve my life, not be complacent and watch my life pass me by.

Keep up the good work!

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I dunno, at this point I think I have been talked out of it.

I'll tell you what I like about running, if you put on even an ounce, you'll feel the difference when you run. it's been a good tool for me. when I stopped running in my twenties, I put on a lot of weight.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I'll tell you what I like about running, if you put on even an ounce, you'll feel the difference when you run. it's been a good tool for me. when I stopped running in my twenties, I put on a lot of weight.

That is very true... there's nothing that shows you exactly how light or heavy you are. Running does feel pretty good if you've just leaned down. Can just imagine if someone lost a lot of weight then did it.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I run, but in intervals. The longest run I would do these days would be 800m, and that's rare. If you find a way to incorporate multiple forms of metabolic conditioning, you'll never have to worry about doing things that bore you, or performing one single exercise for a prolonged period of time - which is always boring (unless you're one of those rare souls that loves running).

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like running. Having been a really bad runner since high school, I find that I really need at least 3 miles first thing in the morning to get me going to the other parts of my workout. Mostly, it's 4 miles, It's not that fast anymore, especially with a knee that doesn't want to heal completely, just 3 miles at sub 7 minute pace, with 4 quarter mile intervals at sub 6 minute pace (that's a 80 second 400m split, which is pretty slow) at the end. Even at this decreased rate, I find that there is nothing that really compares to the endorphin rush. If you are just thinking of starting running, start with 1.5, then 2 miles a day, and work up from there. Don't worry about time.

But... you need some sort of HIIT training after that to really put you through the day. I dislike the Crossfit cultishness, but some of their workouts are pretty good. It's not really new or innovative though - MMA fighters have been using that type of exercise for years, to pretty good effect. If you can add weights to the end of that, you'll have yourself a pretty complete workout. I'd say that 30 minutes of cardio and an additional 30 minutes of HIIT will stand you in good stead. Start with 3 times a week, with 2 easier days, and 2 rest days. And work up from there.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I like running. Having been a really bad runner since high school, I find that I really need at least 3 miles first thing in the morning to get me going to the other parts of my workout. Mostly, it's 4 miles, It's not that fast anymore, especially with a knee that doesn't want to heal completely, just 3 miles at sub 7 minute pace, with 4 quarter mile intervals at sub 6 minute pace (that's a 80 second 400m split, which is pretty slow) at the end. Even at this decreased rate, I find that there is nothing that really compares to the endorphin rush. If you are just thinking of starting running, start with 1.5, then 2 miles a day, and work up from there. Don't worry about time.

But... you need some sort of HIIT training after that to really put you through the day. I dislike the Crossfit cultishness, but some of their workouts are pretty good. It's not really new or innovative though - MMA fighters have been using that type of exercise for years, to pretty good effect. If you can add weights to the end of that, you'll have yourself a pretty complete workout. I'd say that 30 minutes of cardio and an additional 30 minutes of HIIT will stand you in good stead. Start with 3 times a week, with 2 easier days, and 2 rest days. And work up from there.

I really, seriously doubt Manton is going to do that.

arvidg

Reaction score
I recently started running again, after an almost-twenty-year semi-hiatus.

Some of my weirder friends tricked me into trying near-bare-foot shoes (e.g. Vibram Fivefingers). And here's the deal:

If you want to try something like that, do it now. When you're not accustomed to running anyway.

And if you do, remember: Heel-strike is for walking. Toe- or mid-foot-strike is for running. Walk or run; there is no jog.

(Now, if only I could follow my own advise. Thing is, winters where I live are quite wintery, with snow, sleet, slush and stuff. So while I got to run a couple of times in my FFs last year, I had to get a pair of winter running shoes for winter, complete with studs. And high heels, for lack of a more describing term.)

Anyway: Do try running. You may end up enjoying the big outdoors more than you thought.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you do decide to run a bit after all, here are a couple of considerations from an indifferent runner: 1. go early in the morning to avoid the
ffffuuuu.gif
heat 2. choose a route that is the same coming back as it is going out (which is to say, avoid something circular-ish) -- I ran into a hip problem before this was recommended to me by a physician. Going out and coming back by the same route will avoid the effect of running on a "slant", however imperceptible, which can lead to some problems 3. get good shoes, and if you run every day, consider getting two pair Oh, I almost forgot -- running can be boring. I was generally only able to stick with it when I had a partner and we kind of shamed each other into going and if you go at a nice easy pace you can still talk.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics