• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Running shoes

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd try to get into running. First I'll need to upgrade my shoes. I have a tendancy to overpronate I believe (I'm saying this because the inside part of the sole of my shoes generally wear out before the outsides - I think this would apply to running, not just walking).

Hoping to find a pair of shoes for around $100 or less. Any suggestions on brands that work well for you, or specific features/materials I should be looking for.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Asics, Saucony, Mizuno or New Balance.

Go to a specialized running store and have them take a look at your foot, and see what they recommend.

Shoes for moderate overpronators usually have a darker colored (grey, usually), stiffer foam material on the sole on the inside of the arch. For heavy overpronators, they have additional solid (plastic, carbon fibre, etc) support on the inside of the arch.

amdi8

Reaction score
Agreed with Sonick: Go to a running store. The most important thing is getting the right type of shoe.

For $100 you should be able to get lots and lots of great running shoes. Asics are personal favorites of mine, but try a bunch of them.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll check out the Running Room tommorow.
smile.gif
Thanks for the information guys.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Id recommend New Balance myself. Worn them for about 5 yrs.

I sometimes go jungle running with the local Hash House Harriers (running club), tried out a pair of Mizunos semi-recently - which while they were comfortable, fell to bits on me after about 4 jungle runs. Maybe for road running they would be ok, I dont know. Anyhow, the New Balances normally last me about 15 runs, much better made. I have a couple of friends who swear by Asics as well.

I switched back to NB though, Im happy.

Chris "Italia"

Reaction score
New Balance without a doubt.

seoulfully

Reaction score
I run in Asics. Has anyone here tried the Asics Kinsei's? I'm trying to decide if they are worth the money. I'm currently running in the latest Nimbus models. Or how about the NB "Zip" tech shoes (NB 8515 or NB 8505)?

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Asics definitely. But like the others mention, have a runner analyze your gait at the store. And if you can, wear the socks that you think you'll be running in. The thickness (or thinness) of a sock can affect the fit.

-Jeff

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Adidas and Mizuno are my two fave's. Brooks comes in a close third after these two.

Also recommend the running shoe store - you'll pay more for the shoe, but it beats being injured.

If you find two models to your liking, buy both and alternate them. Some days you want comfort, some days you'll want to fly. Having alternating pairs also helps you to diagnose when your shoes have lost their spring or cushioning. You don't have to buy both at once, maybe wait a month.

Mrs. T loves NB, but they've been hit-or-miss with me. The 865 held water like a bucket, and I was wringing out my socks every 6 miles or so. I was not a happy camper to hear squish, squish.

MOCAZEN

Reaction score
Actually since he stated he was a overpronatoe, the NB 991 or NB 2001 are the best, not aestetically(sp) pleasing , but the best

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree with the advice of going to a good running store. Beware though, a lot of running store people love to talk, and kind of overanalyze things.

Personally, I've been very happy with my Brooks; I've stayed with the same model, the adrenaline, for a few generations (the 6 model currently, slightly preferred the previous model). Has some moderate motion control (anti-pronation), but isn't totally flat-soled or heavy.

It's been perfect for my moderate running schedule (a few miles a few times a week, 3-4 5k races a year), and I see a lot of other runners wearing them as well.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The NB 857 fit me well. Any experience with this shoe (or the earlier 856)?

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure what city you live in but definitely go to a running store that only sells running shoes. Usually they will also sell triathalon stuff too. All the best stores I have found are associated with local running clubs too.

Every 6 months I buy shoes. Every time I get a different brand. Usually asics, adidas, new balance, or occasionally a random Nike. They change the bloody styles every year. Right now I have some adidas because the updated design of new balance I had before didn't cup my heel properly.

You just gotta try them on, but be sure you go to somewhere where they will actually let you try the shoes on and watch you run down the street.

addynicky

Reaction score
Asics and New Balance are my favorites. I have a pair of New Balance for walking and I just bought a pair of Asics for running. My knees stopped hurting and my ankles stopped hurting. These were problems I had when I was using my NB 574's for running before I got the Asics. They're great
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads