• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Running shoes

dk7m

Reaction score
I agree on Asics as well. I went through 3 pairs of them through high school due to cross country
teacha.gif

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MOCAZEN
Actually since he stated he was a overpronatoe, the NB 991 or NB 2001 are the best, not aestetically(sp) pleasing , but the best

What he said. The 2001 is really built for people who overpronate. It's a bit steep ($150-$200), but it'll last forever. Keep an eye out on eBay and you can find a pair for under $150.

amdi8

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
It's a bit steep ($150-$200), but it'll last forever. Keep an eye out on eBay and you can find a pair for under $150.

Last forever? Maybe if all you do is walk with them, but running shoes are supposed to be replaced every 300-500 miles because they lose most of their cushioning.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Asicss are the best.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
It's a bit steep ($150-$200), but it'll last forever.
Actually from my knowledge, if you are a serious runner, running shoes should be replaced every 6 months to 1 year, depending on how frequently you run.

The white EVA foam in the sole tends to go flat after a certain number of miles, and provide less cushioning in the areas that are under the most pressure.

Hoya Saxa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bandwagonesque
I thought I'd try to get into running. First I'll need to upgrade my shoes. I have a tendancy to overpronate I believe (I'm saying this because the inside part of the sole of my shoes generally wear out before the outsides - I think this would apply to running, not just walking).

Hoping to find a pair of shoes for around $100 or less. Any suggestions on brands that work well for you, or specific features/materials I should be looking for.

I also overpronate and I run in New Balance. Best shoe out there, IMHO. I run the NB 767.

My advice, which echoes that of others on the board, is to go to a serious running store (i.e., not Sports Authority or Dick's) or a triathlon store and have the staff fit you.

Cheers,

Hoya

Don Goldstein

Reaction score
If you have really good feet, a really good lower back, and really good biomechanics, you can run in just about any good running shoe. But, that combination is very rare. That is why it is important to go to a really good running specialty store. The people there run and know running shoes. They don't necessarily get in the latest $140 Nike's. Rather, they get in what works. They will spend the necessary time with you (maybe 1/2 hour or more) to try on different shoes, see how you run with them and see how you feel. Fortunately, in the Los Angeles area, there are several stores like that. I only buy my running shoes at one of these running speciality stores.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
Actually from my knowledge, if you are a serious runner, running shoes should be replaced every 6 months to 1 year, depending on how frequently you run.

The white EVA foam in the sole tends to go flat after a certain number of miles, and provide less cushioning in the areas that are under the most pressure.

I'm far from a serious runner. I actually hate to run and only do it from time to time to get some variety into my cardio workout. So, the 991 is probably a better buy if you need to change shoes every few months since they only cost half as much.

dk7m

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Goldstein
If you have really good feet, a really good lower back, and really good biomechanics, you can run in just about any good running shoe. But, that combination is very rare. That is why it is important to go to a really good running specialty store. The people there run and know running shoes. They don't necessarily get in the latest $140 Nike's. Rather, they get in what works. They will spend the necessary time with you (maybe 1/2 hour or more) to try on different shoes, see how you run with them and see how you feel. Fortunately, in the Los Angeles area, there are several stores like that. I only buy my running shoes at one of these running speciality stores.

Yeah, I agree completely if you're truly serious about running. If you're near the Pasadena area, there's a store like that called Run With Us (I think that's what it's called) but I'm not sure if they're still open because last time I was there was a couple years ago.

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hoya, I have the NB 767 as well. When I bought them around a half year ago I tried on every shoe on the market and those were the only ones that fit me well.

It's basically useless to tell someone get NBs, get Asics, get Adidas, because they've worked for you. It all comes down to, and should only come down to fit. Not someone else's fit, but your fit. Be prepared to spend a bit more than $100. The extra $40 or $60 you might spend is worth not having shin splints, knee, ankle or hip problems in the future. Go to a running store, try all the shoes that they have for your type of gait, regardless of brand, and find the ones that fit you best. Then buy them no matter what the price is. Running is not something to screw around with.

Mentos

Reaction score
Is there a strong correllation between price and quality in running shoes? I know that in hiking boots you often can get a very serviceable shoe for a lot less than the high-end makers charge. My impression is that you can get a fine running shoe at a running store for around $80? Am I right in that?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I dont think so. I think there is a strong correlation between marketing and price in this field, less so quality.

Certainly the recommendations above are for brands that typically cost less than Nikes, which outmarket and typically underperform them all.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My impression is that you can get a fine running shoe at a running store for around $80? Am I right in that?
Unless you have serious needs (run 30+ miles/week, have injuries, serious overpronation, etc.), I say yes. Maybe $90 at retail, but certainly <$100.

Mentos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
I dont think so. I think there is a strong correlation between marketing and price in this field, less so quality.

Certainly the recommendations above are for brands that typically cost less than Nikes, which outmarket and typically underperform them all.

Good to know. I should add that one nice thing about the hiking boot market is that the quality is more or less uniform. There are some duds, but every manufacturer seems to try to put out a consistent product, from Hi-Tec on up. Of course all hikers also know to stay away from Nike.
smile.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mentos
Is there a strong correllation between price and quality in running shoes? I know that in hiking boots you often can get a very serviceable shoe for a lot less than the high-end makers charge. My impression is that you can get a fine running shoe at a running store for around $80? Am I right in that?

$80 is a good point of entry for quality running shoes. If you're a heavier runner or require more pronation suppression, then the price will go up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads