• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Running Shoe question

cahlersmeyer

Reaction score
Hello all!

Shopping around for some new running shoes and wanted some opinions. I do around 50-80 miles per week. I have normal arches and neutral pronation. I am 5'5" and 145 pounds with an athletic frame.

I have a pair of Nike Pre's now that work well but I am annoyed with the Nike Air system, it seems I always develop a small hole in the air pocket and they are pretty much useless after that.

I tried New Balance in my earlier running career but found them to be too stiff.

I tried on the Brooks Adrenaline GTS and found it to be very comfortable.

Does anyone have any opinions/experiences? Good or bad? I like to do research before I plop down +$100 on running shoes that can't be returned after the break in period!!

Thank you all!!

giraffe lookout

Reaction score
There is no way you can get good advice about this online. You need to try shoes on and see what works for you. Also, most running shoes should be good to go out of the box and don't really need to be broken in.

Working Stiff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe the adrenalines are for over-pronators. But there should be a similar, neutral shoe from Brooks. I have run in lots of Brooks shoes, and they're fine (if they fit well).

Edit: 145 is pretty light, you'd probably be OK in a lightweight trainer - for example, the Brooks Launch

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
At 20-25 miles a week, I'm nowhere near your regimen - but I noticed you didn't mention asics. I've had great success with a number of their shoes (my current is the cumulus).

But I agree with others here - online info like mine should just be considered prelim research. You need to go try on a bunch of stuff and figure out what works for you. Yes, that means that you'll end up with some $100 mistakes in your closet, but that's the only way to find the right one. In fact, if you're doing 50-80 a week, I thought you'd already know that.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was a big fan of Mizunos for a long time and did similar distance.

Now I use Frees and am much happier with a more Pose oriented run.

cahlersmeyer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by razl
In fact, if you're doing 50-80 a week, I thought you'd already know that.

I know all too well. If I buy a crappy pair, I use them as shoes to wear to PT in the morning, or at the weight gym to lift in. I'm looking to get into the more high end (brooks, asics, etc) that are engineered for certain strides, arches, etc. not a mass marketed shoe like I have been doing. My mileage is getting quite high and I know my risk of injury is going up so I'd like to treat my feet right.... and save some money in the process lol

Unregistered

Reaction score
How do you know you are a neutral gaited runner? 70% pronate to some extent and only a trained eye can really see it.

My part time job is with a high end sports store (gotta get myself through university somehow) and I do fit running shoes at a highly technical level.

Most of my experience is with Asics, Mizuno, New Balance, Newton and Zoot (from my triathlon days!). I'm personally not a fan of the feeling of Brooks. Something about the roll just doesn't sit right with me.

What kind of stride are you doing? I'd imagine a regular heel strike stride?

It is important to try the shoes on if at all possible. I can easily tell you which models in each brand are for neutral runners (cushioned or not) or light stability.... but each will fit differently in terms of the toebox/midfoot width and more importantly, the heel width. You definitely do need something that provides the right amount of hold on your heel, otherwise slippage will occur and...that's not pleasant.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get yourself some Saucony Pro-grid Kinvara's.
They are minimal drop, extremely light, and yet have enough cushioning for long runs (marathon + distances) and remain very comfortable.
Oh, they also can be had for around $65 dollars.
Prior to this, I wore Mizuno Wave Precision and Ronin's.
The Kinvara is much more comfortable than anything else I have put on, with the added bonus of a shoe that doesnt "correct" the foot.
So, if you have an efficient gait with your neutral foot, this shoe would work perfectly for you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads