running/jogging on grass

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by matadorpoeta, Jun 7, 2005.

1. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

i've decided to start jogging because i'm getting fat. i've stopped playing soccer because i broke up with my soccer buddies and my tennis buddy is too busy to play more than once a week. i'm now a 35 waist whereas i'm usually a 32-33 at this time of the year.

anyway, i bought some new balance m880 shoes and they fit like a dream. my plan is to go to the park and run around the soccer field every morning. i'm doing this in an effort to avoid knee injuries or any of the other problems associated with running on pavement.

so, now the question. why don't i see more people running on grass? especially for those who run longer distances every day, is running on grass safer?

please advise.

2. matadorpoeta

p.s. the m880s are the ugliest shoes. i know. i'll have to suffer and make the sacrifice because they fit my feet so well.

3. benchan

benchan Senior member

Running on grass is nice, but if you do long run around a soccer field every day, you tend to get bored. And well, if you just want to improve your fitness level, there is other safer options besides running on grass.

4. mrgoblueguy

mrgoblueguy Senior member

Running on grass is a lot easier on your body and can be very relaxing. Running on grass and trails in parks is great for you and the landscape is beautiful. I think most people don't like grass because they run faster on cement. As a former cross country runner, grass will always be my favorite.

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Running on grass and dirt trails is infinitely easier on your knees than running on cement or concrete (ouch), with the bonus of strengthening any lateral muscles used to maintain balance. Altogether, much healthier than running on the road. If you are in the LA area, I would really encourage you to run in the nearby small mountain ranges. A great endurance workout, and terrific for your quads, hamstrings, and gluts to boot.

6. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Senior member

I once read an article about the Brazilian soccer player Ronaldo. They asked what he did to get so strong, especially in his legs. His answer was he simply jogged 5-10 miles a day.

The reporters weren't satisfied, so they pressed. He then elaborated that the 5-10 miles were done on loose sand.

Still not satisfied, they kept pressing. Apparently, for about half of it, his friend would get on his back and try to knock him over while he jogged.

My reaction: holy sh*t.

7. benchan

benchan Senior member

If the condition permits, try running Barefoot on sand/grass a couple of times per week.

8. dah328

dah328 Senior member

From Runner's World:

The best surfaces for running are firm (not mushy or slippery), relatively flat (without camber), smooth (without ruts or holes), and provide some degree of shock absorption. The more angled the surface, the steeper the incline, the harder the surface, the greater are the chances of an injury.

Grassy areas such as golf courses make relatively poor running surfaces. This may surprise some people who choose grass because it's soft. But grassy surfaces are also uneven. And many of us--more than half the population--have some biomechanical abnormality. So running on grass makes the muscles and tendons in your feet and legs work harder and leaves you more susceptible to injury.

Roads are also notoriously poor surfaces, not only because of traffic hazards but because they are canted so that water will run off the center of the road. This slant causes the "upward" foot to pronate more and the "downward" foot to supinate more.

Provided you wear good shock-absorbing shoes, sidewalks tend to make better training surfaces than roads because they are flat. The problem, of course, is that cement surfaces are significantly harder than asphalt or other man-made surfaces.

Here, ranked in order from most desirable to least desirable, are various running surfaces:
    1. Soft, smooth cinder track, unbanked
    2. Artificially surfaced track, unbanked
    3. Soft, smooth dirt trail
    4. Flat, smooth grass
    5. Asphalt street or path
    6. Hard dirt track or trail
    7. Concrete sidewalk or road
    8. Banked or cambered surface
    9. Hard-sand beach
    10. Rough, pot-holed dirt trail or grass

9. matadorpoeta

i'll go for #4.

thanks for the advice everyone.

10. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

Back in the day when I used to run 30 to 40 km a week I primarily did it on sand -- of course, I had a loud man in a green outfit forcing me to run on sand.

At any rate, I noticed a rapid improvement in my conditioning when I ran regularly on sand compared to pavement.

11. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

It is not polite to run on Marc's food, even though we don't agree with his diet. [​IMG]