• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Running in the Rain

cmrocks

Reaction score
Anyone have any recommendations on clothing for running in the rain?

I live in Vancouver, BC and the winter weather here is pretty wet. I'd like to start running in the mornings; probably around 630 or 7am. It's not that warm this time of day.

I'm not sure if I should try to get something that is waterproof or go with something like merino wool sport shirts that keep you warm even when soaking wet.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Unless it's wintertime, I'd pick the lightest clothing you have. Synthetics will get wet but not hold water like cotton. Also, if your shoes are fairly worn-in and your feet aren't too soft, you might look to eschewing socks - they hold water something fierce and tend to make squishing noises.

Keeping warm in the summertime is hardly an issue. After a mile or so you'll not notice the chill, and shortly thereafter you'll forget that it's raining. Just leave the ipod at home.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That sounds like so much fun. It never seems to rain without lightning around here though.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DucatiCole
I'm not sure if I should try to get something that is waterproof or go with something like merino wool sport shirts that keep you warm even when soaking wet.

When I ran a lot more I tended to go with the latter, especially since I'd be sweating anyway. Waterproof stuff tends not to breathe and gets uncomfortably warm.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy a second pair of shoes for this. Consider buying a third.

jwied82

Reaction score
for socks... use merino wool running socks like smartwool. Teko, bridgedale, and a couple other brands also make some good merino running socks. They dont hold as much moisture and also keep yout feet dry comfy in all temperatures. I use them year round, rain snow, mid-summer heat, whatever... just heavier ones in the winter and thin, light ones in the summer.

Ive also used smartwool long-sleeved tops for running in... actually they function well when its cold and wet, they really do keep you warmer when wet.
I've also ran in very light water-resitant nylon shell jackets, and while they keep the rain out they arent good for me becuase i run really hot and it just turns into a sauna under the jacket.

How cold is it this time of year in vancouver? You mentioned the winter... are you just asking this question months in advance?

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any recommendations on clothing for running in the rain? I live in Vancouver, BC and the winter weather here is pretty wet. I'd like to start running in the mornings; probably around 630 or 7am. It's not that warm this time of day. I'm not sure if I should try to get something that is waterproof or go with something like merino wool sport shirts that keep you warm even when soaking wet.
I live in Vancouver. Running in the morning in the rain is great. Wear some dry-fit long sleeves and you'll be fine.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
down to about 40 degrees i'd go with shorts and midweight LS capilene from Patagonia with a cap. wool socks but nothing too heavy. below 40, i'd add a wool beanie and switch to the cap mid run. maybe add some tights like if it was also windy.

i'd also make sure i had enough shoes/socks to let previous ones dry out.

-Jeff

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
quickdry tops don't really help if it is raining the entire time.

the most problematic part of running in the rain is wet shoes, I would try to find goretex running shoes

beyond that, if you want to stay dry up top, there are many breathable membrane material jackets these days. You probably want one also with a "cape" vented back design as well as pit vents.

On the other hand, I've run in the rain with my standard clothing and shoes and it was no big deal. As nike says "Just don't worry, go and do it"

knugget

Reaction score
I actually love running in the rain. I feel like I can run so much more and I just enjoy the entire period of running.

Doc4

Reaction score
Anyone have any recommendations on clothing for running in the rain?

I live in Vancouver, BC and the winter weather here is pretty wet. I'd like to start running in the mornings; probably around 630 or 7am. It's not that warm this time of day.

I used to RITR in Victoria, so here's the benefit of my experience.

1. you need a snug baselayer for your shirt, as a loose shirt that is waterlogged will give you raw and bleeding nipples ... fast. The extra weight of the water will make otherwise-no-problem shirts give you problems unless they are a good fit.

2. Avoid cotton. (I think you already know that, but just to be safe ... )

3. Avoid waterproof. They're great for standing in the rain, but exercise ... you end up sweating so much that it "rains" inside your outfit (and then can't dry out).

4. May I suggest some high-vis element to your outfit? Many drivers won't be expecting you to be out running "in this weather", so it's best to stand out.

I haven't tried the wool exercise wear; most of my experience is with cotton and with "space-aged polymers". A lot of the answer will depend on your own personal temperature tolerances. I like it on the cool side, so my saying "wear this and that and you're fine" may not work 100%. But I do encourage layering on the top, and getting running pants/tights (I've never seen these in wool, so it's the polymers here) for the legs. One single outfit won't work in a September drizzle and a February rain; you'll need an extra layer or two in the depths of winter that you won't need in spring and fall.

(Can I use the phrase "depths of winter" when talking about Vancouver?
rimshot.gif
)

ciccone

Reaction score
don't overdress. you'll get hot soon enough. Synthetics work well. running in the rain isn't nearly as fun as it sounds unless it's a warm, tropical rain and you're on a beach headed towards the nearest outdoor bar.

danyllau

Reaction score
I have ran around in the Vancouver area also, but i don't do it in the super cold days which i usually bike or indoor untill like the Sun Run days, warmer in March. Haha weather really screw up this year though! Snow in April!! =S

I like to keep my upper body pretty dry. I wear dri-fit long sleeve, maybe i should dry some of those smart wool. On top i wear a burton AK jacket (shell only with vents), it's super light and gortex(super wind/water proof), if u do start getting too hot (whcih is unlikely with just dri-fit and this shell lol) there's plenty of vents in the chest and armpit. Not much special for lower body, I like tighter shorts to just above the knee and then shoes socks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 27 17.6%

Forum statistics

Threads