• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

running in the dark

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like running in the dark, I feel a bit sharper and aware. Everything looks a little different. I wear reflective stuff so hopefully I don't get squished by a car or something (and I run on sidewalks). The other day though, I saw a guy running with a headlamp.

What do you do when you run in the dark: headlamp or no?

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NO headlamp but lots of reflective stuff. No music and really watch the cars.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
How dark are we talking? 5 a.m. in my hood is pretty dark, and I run by the moonlight/house lamps/nearby light pollution. There are few cars driving around at that time, though, so I don't worry much. I wear something light-colored/reflective but that's about it.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't listen to music while I run. I prefer to be aware. As daylight is getting shorter, it is getting darker and darker in the mornings when I run. BMNT isn't until after 7am now, so I am running by moon, streetlights, and what little light is spilling out of people's windows.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In Brooklyn streetlights illuminate the road nicely...but I still wear refective night wear but won't forgo the tunes.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
I just ran last night through the city at 10pm wearing all black, but my exposed arms and legs are unfortunately Casperific and were probably reflective enough all on their own. I don't see how it's any more dangerous than walking at night, really. Just don't run in the street, which is illegal anyway. I don't listen to music when I run in the city, though, ever.

Totally off-topic question: anyone else have trouble, when running, with music ******* up their stride and breathing tempo? It actually really messes with me.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
During summer I run on the road in the middle of the night, but I know my route pretty well -- especially the potholes and uneven road surfaces.

I have reflective piping on my shorts, some reflective patches on my shoes, and I wear light colored shirts.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
Totally off-topic question: anyone else have trouble, when running, with music ******* up their stride and breathing tempo? It actually really messes with me.
If anything it gets me in rhythm. Then again, I'm listening to stuff like Deftones, Tool, Strung Out, etc. and not "The Best of Bread." OT, I always run during the day and almost never without music. The only time I ever ran around at night was when I was living next door to a track.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
If anything it gets me in rhythm. Then again, I'm listening to stuff like Deftones, Tool, Strung Out, etc. and not "The Best of Bread."

OT, I always run during the day and almost never without music. The only time I ever ran around at night was when I was living next door to a track.

The problem is that it becomes very difficult for me to run/breathe at a pace other than that of the music, which unless you're listening to your 2001 Tool House Mix Megafantastic--and don't pretend you're not, buddy; I know you run with glow sticks, too--means I'm not keeping a steady breathing rhythm the whole time.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Running at night is fun, but I only do it when I've run out of time to run at another time.

Always run with an ipod and a knife if I run at night.

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Music messes with me, too. I don't run with it unless it's one of the mixes I got my friend to make that have a constant BPM so I can get into the rhythm. And only during the day - MASSholes are terrible drivers, and I don't have a deathwish.

And how on earth do you manage to run with a knife? Do you just hold it in your hand? Do you strap a dive knife to your calf? I'm confused...

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redgrail
Music messes with me, too. I don't run with it unless it's one of the mixes I got my friend to make that have a constant BPM so I can get into the rhythm. And only during the day - MASSholes are terrible drivers, and I don't have a deathwish.

And how on earth do you manage to run with a knife? Do you just hold it in your hand? Do you strap a dive knife to your calf? I'm confused...

On an interesting side note. When I used to row we would have a friend of mine who was a DJ/mixer create techno/bass rifts that would match our cadence exactly. It was a lot of fun and a huge adrenaline kick.

To the knife. Yea I just run with a 3in blade out, in hand. I'm foolish and not uncommon to go out at 1 AM on trails that are not visible to anyone. Over the past few years a few attacks have occurred, and I can handle a knife reasonably well so I carry one when I feel I should.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pretty much what everyone has already said. light reflective clothing is the key. and i'd ditch the music. the only time i listen to music while running is if i'm on the track.

i think the headlamp is overkill unless the area is really dark and doesn't have streetlights. if i'm in an area that is really dark or new to me, i'll carry a small led and when i see cars coming my way, i'll turn it on.

if i have to share the street with cars, i like to run into oncoming traffic. i feel it gives you more control over signalling to them that you're sharing the road. and whether you're on the street or on the sidewalk, watch for cars backing out, especially priuses. while running in broad daylight, i was hit by a car driving out of a parking lot.

but i think some of the best runs are at night in cool weather (40-50 degrees) in shorts and a long sleeve shirt. the first mile you're freezing your ass off but then your body heat puts you in this perfect equilibirum and you feel like you can run for miles and miles.

-jeff

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just so you guys know, for you to be seen at night, your clothing has to actually be made out of a reflective material, you can't necessarily see a lighter color any better than you can a darker color at night.

having said that, I run at night and don't wear reflective material.

adamsnez

Reaction score
i cant run WITHOUT music, pisses me off. But, music is my life.. I write exams listening to my ipod.
last run my ipod died and i thought i wouldnt make it home because my equilibrium was now thrown off!

I do ~12km runs, so pretty far, and need the music. its all fast heavy stuff and THATS what keeps me going, i couldnt run without.
i run at night too, usually @ 8-9, and its DARK (now, winter coming) by 7 anyways.

edit: reflective material FTL

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads