• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Running in Keens

Frodo

Reaction score
I have 2 pairs of Keen Newports (the standard men's model) and love them for grungy outdoor stuff, kayaking, movies with the kids, etc. But I've been getting back into running (road and trail) since the weather turned warm, and they are now my running shoe.

Anyone else run in Keens? I have heard "they're too hard", but when I went to the New Balance store to look at running shoes, I was amazed at how hard and stiff running shoes seem to be now. The Keens are much softer. On the road they feel great. I haven't been able to find anyone else that does this.

I love them, especially for trail running. I do get gravel in them from time to time, but I hit a fair number of hella steep climbs and any excuse to stop for a minute or two and put my lungs back inside my chest is a good one.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hmmm, no. I dont wear keens.

I do wear the New Balance MT100's to run trails.

Are you a midfoot striker? If not, I would reckon most would blow out their knees in something like that.

Frodo

Reaction score
So I keep hearing. But like I said, they're much more padded feeling than several of the running shoes I looked at. Some New Balance 400 series shoes I looked at had no discernible cushion at all.

Oh well, different strokes.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bkstone
?
5086.gif

...---...

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Frodo
So I keep hearing. But like I said, they're much more padded feeling than several of the running shoes I looked at. Some New Balance 400 series shoes I looked at had no discernible cushion at all.

Oh well, different strokes.

The MT100's have almost no padding at all...the advantage they give is they have a rockstop barrier to disallow very sharp objects from entering your feet.
Hey, if you like running in Keens, run in Keens.

Shiny

Reaction score
If you are looking for cushioning, I would get some "original" adidas running shoes. Not the new fangled models with springs or holes etc. The old ones are the cushiest I have ever run in. So soft that i even wear them to walk around in.

They kinda look like this:

http://www.runningunlimited.com/imag...vard%20big.jpg

You can buy the original ones in places like famous footwear, or sears.

Frodo

Reaction score
Thanks - much appreciated.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads