• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Running everyday and weight lifting?

MrNick

Reaction score
Anyone run everyday and do a lot of weight lifting? I've been told cardio is ok while trying to gain muscle and also by others it's bad for muscle growth. I've started a "split set", where I lift upper body 4 days a week. I've been eating more and gaining muscle but I don't want to gain any fat with it. Also I love to run, nothing feels better than going 5 or 6 miles.

toogies80

Reaction score
I lift and run 6 days a week. You can gain plenty of muscle doing both, just make sure to feed the machine!!!

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought you needed at least two days of rest in there.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=18940 From Wes, the big show at ironaddicts.com.
Here is why running and weightlifting are NOT compatible. A 200 lb guy produces between 800-1000 lbs of force on every foot-fall when running. It is not a big deal until you add up the 1000's of impacts during a jogging session. It dampens CNS output. CNS IS what allows you to lift the weights. Dampen CNS to any decent degree and you will find you cannot progress with the weights. It produces a lot of cortisol. Cortisol slows or halts muscle growth once too much is present. Because of the eccentric component protein turnover goes up. You end up protein deficient even though you are consuming a lot. The body has inherent intelligence. Running and lifting heavy objects are at opposite ends of the spectrum. First you try telling your body it needs to increase mass density by lifting heavy things. Then you run which tells the body that being lighter is an advantage. You end up short circuiting the growth process. Try and find BODYBUILDERS--not guys that lift weights that run. You will find VERY, VERY FEW, and if you do find an example, what you are really finding is a genetic freak often on steroids. If that is not you, you should consider leaving out running. IA
Short version: if you suck at both, sure, do it. If you are doing one or the other seriously, pick one. edit: it sounds like you want to have your cake and eat it too. 4 days of upper body workouts / week, want to gain all muscle and no fat? get your head outta the clouds, son.. be realistic. Either get used to bulking/cutting if you want to get big, or research ketogenic diets if you're interested in maintaining mass while cutting fat.

toogies80

Reaction score
OP didn't say anything about bodybuilding and running. Just wanted to gain muscle mass and enjoys running. You can do both very easily.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, he wanted to gain all muscle, no fat, run, and lift weights. Point remains, its going to be too much to go all-out on both. Running 5-6 miles a day on top of 4 days of weight training? If buddy wants to bulk up then he should bulk up and worry about cardio when its 6-pack time.

Not to say don't do cardio. I do intervals while water-jogging on my off days. No impact on the joints = happy weightlifter.

Hartmann

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The reason why bodybuilders don't run is the same reason fat guys don't run: because they're too big.

Guys who just lift some weights from time to time can run, why not.

rjones416

Reaction score
bodybuilding and gaining muscle mass is the exact same thing. you can do cardio and bulk at the same time but you have to eat more calories to make up for the cals being burned from cardio.

Kris

Reaction score
Olympic weightlifting, and a couple running sessions per week. Good food. Mass gain, fat loss.

chyrspchuck

Reaction score
What do you weigh, what do you bench? jk

but in all seriousness I think with your current plan you will probably just get leaner, not sure how much real muscle growth you will have because of the output your expending while running 5-6 miles a day. And you should be resting at least 1 day a week.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jarude
http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=18940

From Wes, the big show at ironaddicts.com.

Short version: if you suck at both, sure, do it. If you are doing one or the other seriously, pick one.

edit: it sounds like you want to have your cake and eat it too. 4 days of upper body workouts / week, want to gain all muscle and no fat? get your head outta the clouds, son.. be realistic. Either get used to bulking/cutting if you want to get big, or research ketogenic diets if you're interested in maintaining mass while cutting fat.

This is completely idiotic.

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can not gain significant muscle mass without gaining some fat.

You grow muscles when you are resting, not when you are lifting. The most protein synthesis happens 36-48 hours after work out.

epb

Reaction score
If you're logging 20-25+ miles a week, you'll typically have trouble keeping muscle mass, depending on your age. I was 212# when I began training for my first marathon and 165# when I finished (I'm 6'1"). I wasn't as big or as strong as before, though I was damn strong for a skinny guy.

Once I quit marathoning, I found my balance between the two. I do intervals 3 times a week, which is 10 sets of one minute sprints with walking or slower running intermixed, and I lift weights 2 times a week following the "Starting Strength" program. Occasionally, I'll throw in a 5-mile run. Currently, I'm 200#, benching 225, deadlifting ~300, and can do a sub 6-minute mile or string together 5 or so 8ers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads