• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rum

ACDoyle

Reaction score
The forum has numerous threads on beer and whiskey, thought I would start a new thread on my new favorite spirit-Rum

Got into rum quite by accident as my only experience was with rum and coke (usually Bacardi silver-yuk), but while the liquor store picked up a bottle of Zaya 100ml (liked the bottle) and I was hooked. Here are a few favorites and maybe others can share their rum experiences.

Aged Rum:
Old Zaya (Guatemala) still my all time favorite, smooth with the right amount of sweetness. Zacapa is a close second as the profile is similar. Haven't tried the new Zaya (Trinidad) but have heard good things.
Flor De Cana Grand Reserve 7yr- very good sipper and inexpensive.
Cockspur 12 - for the bourbon drinkers, has a similar profile, add a little water and the flavors come alive.
Bacardi 8- the only drinkable rum from the once great House, a good sipper for the price.

White Rums:
Havana Club 3 yrs-the smoothest rum I have ever had, superb as a mixer but good enough to sip.
Cruzan light - my usual mixer, heads above Bacardi.
Oronoco- not sure if this should come under aged or white as it both. Its flavorful, smooth and light.

Looking to try:
El Dorado
Barbancourt

kever

Reaction score
My favorite rum is anything from Flor de Cana from Nicaragua. I'm not much of a rum drinker, but I like it a lot more than anything I've tried from Bacardi, Captain Morgan, Appleton Estate, or Havana Club.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ACDoyle

Reaction score
I have tried the Mount Gay Eclipse and was not impressed, but will try and give the Extra Old a try

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like the Martinique rums, especially Saint James. They're classified as "rum agricole", which means they're distilled directly from sugar cane juice and not molasses. If you have ever had fresh sugar cane, then you will really enjoy the dimension these types of rums have. If you have never tasted fresh sugar cane, you will still enjoy these types of rums.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Zaya is great. The best rum I've ever had is Ron Zacapa 23-year-old, I'm not sure there's anything better. Also recommended are Pritchard's (which is American and has more of a whiskey-like bite to it) and Mount Gay Extra Old, as mentioned.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you can get Sea Wynde where you are, try it, its amazing. The only rum I will drink. The others are almost flavorless to me.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have always been a Havana Club guy. I have a couple bottles of 7 year in my stash now. Angostura 1919 is pretty good too.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
zacapa xo
dante 25
and various african rones
are my prefered pours
zacapa 23 is good but i still prefer the xo
flor de caña 18 or 21 are acceptable
the higher end of clementine is good.
barbancourt is decent as well.

life_interrupts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to a rum tasting this weekend. I like the British style rums (Barbancourt, Flor de Cana, Ron Pampero) that taste more of molasses, than the French styles which are more sugar cane.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My late father-in-law, as befit a sailing man, was quite the rum connoisseur. His normal, workaday, "go-to" rum was Mt. Gay.

My personal favorite, for just straight sipping, is Black Seal from Barbados.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
My late father-in-law, as befit a sailing man, was quite the rum connoisseur. His normal, workaday, "go-to" rum was Mt. Gay.
Same here.
smile.gif
It is miles better than Bacardi or Cruzan at that price point. My close group of friends drink an enormous amount of coke, Mt. Gay and lime when together, as it's an excellent warm weather drink and it's warm for about 9 months of the year here. We seem to go through about a handle every week and a half at my place alone what with people stopping by before going out. I save the Zaya and Ron Zacapa for quieter evenings with the friends who can tell the difference.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aged versions of Mt Gay and Havana Club, but the best slogan goes to... Cockspur - the bionic cock that spurs you on!

seanchai

Reaction score
Pampero Aniversario is like drinking caramel, it's by far my favorite. I have ~20 rums and most prefer the Cuban profile (Havana Club, Matusalem) and the Venezuelans for sipping.

10 Cane is excellent with a little soda and lime, though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads