1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Rum.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Rambo, Nov 6, 2009.

1. denning

denning Senior member

Went to Ocean City, MD this weekend and picked up 3 more rums, including one from Newfoundland(sp)(?).

Will post details and tasting notes later tonight.

Please tell me its not Screech. If it is, that is somehow both awesome and awful at the same time.

2. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior member

Screech it is.

New rum #1 Pirates Choice Molasses Reef Rum, Cristal Clear Spirits, Charleston, SC.
    Like chewing on a vanilla bean. Interesting, but not complex or tropical rum like. A good QPR at $17US though.

3. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior member

Here are tasting notes on rums #88 - 90 in my collection:

#88 - Pirates Choice Molasses Reef Rum, Cristal Clear Spirits, Charleston, SC.
    Like chewing on a vanilla bean. Interesting, but not complex or tropical rum like. A good QPR at $17US though.

#89 - Serralles "Don Q - Anejo" Puerto Rico rum. Pretty simple gold rum. A bit dissapointed, as I'm hearing great things about Don Q Gran Anejo. At $15US, will us for mixing.

#90 - Screech "Famous Le Celebre" Rum/Rhum, Newfoundland, Canada. WTF? No formal tasting note. FYI, do not share this with family/friends. Best used as bug spray.

4. Hartmann

Hartmann Senior member

#90 - Screech "Famous Le Celebre" Rum/Rhum, Newfoundland, Canada. WTF? No formal tasting note. FYI, do not share this with family/friends. Best used as bug spray.
    Lol. Yeah, screech is awful.

5. denning

denning Senior member

Please tell me its not Screech. If it is, that is somehow both awesome and awful at the same time.

Here are tasting notes on rums #88 - 90 in my collection:

I am sorry for laughing Cuff, but I had a feeling you would react like that given your proclivities and tastes in higher end rums. The awful in my quote referred to the taste you would experience, the awesome was that someone with your tastes would deign to purchase something like that. I suppose I was experiencing a little bit of Schadenfreude in advance.

What are you going to do with the bottle? I don't think you can really mask the taste with coke, pina colada mix, etc... it's invincible.

6. xchen

xchen Senior member

I don't usually drink rum, but I need a decent bottle for the collection. Will probably be mixing with Mexican Cokes and the s/o might occasionally have a mojito.

Any suggestions? Looking to spend $25-35 for a 750mL.

7. Dicko

Dicko Well-Known Member

ron zacapa 23 is hard to go past

8. ArliHawk`

ArliHawk` Senior member

Lol. Yeah, screech is awful.

But you are not a true Newfie until Screeched In, as they say. Awful rum, and the natives are more fond of Lamb's up there.

9. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I don't usually drink rum, but I need a decent bottle for the collection. Will probably be mixing with Mexican Cokes and the s/o might occasionally have a mojito.

Any suggestions? Looking to spend $25-35 for a 750mL.

ron zacapa 23 is hard to go past

Oh, please don't buy Zacapa as a mixing rum. I don't have any recs for a mixing rum in that price range, actually.

10. b1os

b1os Senior member

You do need white rum for Mojito and your Cuba Libre. Get a Z23 for pure drinking, some Havana 3 as white rum. Might take a brown rum for your rum-cola, too, maybe Havana Club 7 anos - but that's no Cuba Libre.

11. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

10 Cane isn't too bad and its relatively easy to find. Appleton silver is also good.

12. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

I don't usually drink rum, but I need a decent bottle for the collection. Will probably be mixing with Mexican Cokes and the s/o might occasionally have a mojito. Any suggestions? Looking to spend $25-35 for a 750mL.
    I like a dark rum for rum'n'coke -- so Goslings, which is cheap. Appleton Silver, as has been mentioned, for your Mojitos would be great. Both together for the price you quote. ~ H

13. mikeman

mikeman Senior member

Not sure if it was mentioned, but Flor De Cana is good- mixed or neat.

14. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior member

See my post #106. Plantation Grand Reserve 5 year. $28US for 1.75L. Elegant enough for sipping, but enough sweetness for mixing.

15. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior member

Went rum shopping this morning and picked up bottles #91 - #93 for my Hoard. They are as follows:

#91 - Smith & Cross, London "Traditional Jamaica Rum, Pure Pot Still, Plummer & Wedderburn - Navy Strength (57%). Too strong for me as a sipping rum. Nice aromatics of tropical fruits and spices, but I can't handle the burn of this. At $29.99US for 750ml, a little pricey for mixing.

#92 - J.M V.S.O.P. Rhum Vieux Agricole, Martinique AOC - Absolutely beautiful. Just the right amount of sweetness, tropical fruit and that unique Martinique terroir. The burn is very smooth. A special order for me in NJ, it retails for $51.99US for 750ml.

#93 - J. M 1997 Rhum Vieux Agricole, Martinique AOC - My second 100 pointer, imho (Edwin Charley The Virtue from Jamaica the other 100 pointer). The color is surprisingly light for a 14 year old rum, but the aromatics are off the chart. Overripe banana, quince, charred fennel. The mouthfeel is incredibly smooth, and the finish goes on a long, long time, ending with that unique Martinique terroir funk. A true delight to drink. Wow. May require a cigarette after tasting [​IMG]. A luxury at $105.99US for 750ml, + a special order and a bitch to find.

16. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior member

Just booked an August, 2011 trip to Jamaica. Will be bringing back some Appleton Master's Blend Legacy and Edwin Charley The Foundation, both of which don't get exported.

17. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior member

#94 - Clement V.S.O.P. Rhum Vieux Agricole, Martinique. Nice notes of lemon rind and cocoa bean. I've heard nice things about this and am glad it is finally available in Delaware at $35.99US retail. Not the most complex of the other rhums I've had from Martinique, it is still very enjoyable. Perhaps the white, not gold, base rum is the difference for me in liking, not loving, this offering.

18. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior member

I finally was able to order some of the very hard to find English Harbour 25 year old, as well as a bunch of aged rums from English wine merchant Berry Bros & Rudd. These should be delivered to me within a week. I'll post tasting notes on them when they arrive.

19. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Got a bottle of Havana Club 7 today for like 1800 yen

20. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

:fu: they don't ship to Texas. :(