• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rum.

cuffthis

Reaction score
Anyone ever had an aged white rum that is worthy of being drunk neat?

I'm still searching.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cuffthis
Anyone ever had an aged white rum that is worthy of being drunk neat?

I'm still searching.

try El dorado 3 years... but that still really jsut a good mixer.

Diplomatico blanco i think is aged 6 years so you could try that.

There are 2 other that come from producers in venezuela as well but i do not remember their names.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a fan of Barbancourt. They have a defined harshness that is unpleasant and uninteresting to my palate. Not feeling the love for them.

Hmm, maybe it is an acquired taste. Or it could be that drinking it in the rocks dilutes the harshness just a bit and that's why I like it. Or maybe I just have a taste for that in your face rum wallop. Another rum in that similar vein that I like is Barrilitos from Puerto Rico, the 3 barrel, not the 2. Have you had it?

cuffthis

Reaction score
To my taste, Barbancourts are harsh. The Barrilitos have a nice burn, as they should, when drunk neat. Their taste is more to my liking.

Originally Posted by Stu
Hmm, maybe it is an acquired taste. Or it could be that drinking it in the rocks dilutes the harshness just a bit and that's why I like it. Or maybe I just have a taste for that in your face rum wallop. Another rum in that similar vein that I like is Barrilitos from Puerto Rico, the 3 barrel, not the 2. Have you had it?

cuffthis

Reaction score
Thanks - will look for these.

Just what I need, more rum.
blush.gif

Originally Posted by scarphe
try El dorado 3 years... but that still really jsut a good mixer.

Diplomatico blanco i think is aged 6 years so you could try that.

There are 2 other that come from producers in venezuela as well but i do not remember their names.

sleekblackroadster

Reaction score
i decided to try to find a nice bottle of rum at the store.. was looking for some mentioned here a few times.. zacapa 23 was one i remembered to look for but it was sold out. had a pretty big empty section of shelf where it should have been. also the el dorado was one i looked for but couldn't ever find. i ended up getting a bottle of some panamanian stuff called ron abuelo 12 year. it was in a nice box and is supposedly made out of sugar cane instead of molasses like most others i saw.

i really like it. i think i'll be venturing further into some of these aged rums now..

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Axelman 17
Anyone have a good recommendation for a rum in the $50 - $75 range? Would be a gift, the person in question likes rum but is not an experienced drinker. Would like something pretty accessible taste wise.

if they do not have laot of experience in drinking meaning not even in rum, he simply likes it, you might as well buy him 2 30usd bottles instead of one in the price rnage at which you are looking. as he himself may not even know what rums he likes... and to buy rums at that price range you should knwo what sort of rums you already like.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Axelman 17
Anyone have a good recommendation for a rum in the $50 - $75 range? Would be a gift, the person in question likes rum but is not an experienced drinker. Would like something pretty accessible taste wise.
Ron Zacapa 23 is everyone's favorite $45 rum. Really.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever had an aged white rum that is worthy of being drunk neat? I'm still searching.
Cuff, ever consider an agricole? I have heard fine things about the Clement VSOP.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Ron Zacapa 23 is everyone's favorite $45 rum. Really.
i think this statmetn is not quite true... it is considred a great rum by pretty much everyone but it is far from everyone´s favourite.

cuffthis

Reaction score
Ron Abuelo 12yr very good stuff. Just became available in Delaware at $36.99/750ml retail.

Originally Posted by sleekblackroadster
i decided to try to find a nice bottle of rum at the store.. was looking for some mentioned here a few times.. zacapa 23 was one i remembered to look for but it was sold out. had a pretty big empty section of shelf where it should have been. also the el dorado was one i looked for but couldn't ever find. i ended up getting a bottle of some panamanian stuff called ron abuelo 12 year. it was in a nice box and is supposedly made out of sugar cane instead of molasses like most others i saw.

i really like it. i think i'll be venturing further into some of these aged rums now..

cuffthis

Reaction score
Clement VSOP not one I've tasted yet (see my collection earlier in this thread). Simply not available in my area. I think it's time for a road trip to Martinique though (+ Guyana, whose rums I've tasted so far ROCK).

Originally Posted by Huntsman
Cuff, ever consider an agricole? I have heard fine things about the Clement VSOP.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ron Abuelo 12yr very good stuff. Just became available in Delaware at $36.99/750ml retail.
sort of a hgh price no? I buy it for 20 usd by the box... but if you like that try the abuelo centuria, it is about 100 usd but excellent.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics