1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

RULES for the tall and skinny man

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sebastian_Flyte, Aug 21, 2009.

1. sonofstan

sonofstan Member

When I first read this thread, the 'no chinos' rule was a revelation - so THAT'S what's wrong!

I still more or less cleave to it, but there are exceptions; the key, as always, is fit, particularly a taper so you don't get 'flappy calves' syndrome. And a high rise is essential.

I've found Cordings' chinos work well with my beanpole physique and they come unfinished with a 38" inside leg. Likewise, Dickies slim fit, and a pair of Norse Project khakis. It's all to do with trying them on and seeing what works. Dockers just never do.

2. MDeKelver

MDeKelver Senior member

Shout out for:
    • Naked and Famous Weird Guy jeans
    • Tom Ford Fit Y or O'Connor model suits
    • Eton shirts off the rack in slim fit (sleeves are truly 35 inches)
    • Sam Hober bespoke ties (I am 59 inches by 3.75 inches with an extra 1/8 at the knot)
    • 2 inch cuffs on your trousers. Tough, ideally you need 6 more inches than your inseam.

Stay away from:
    • Skinny ties
    • Sknny lapels

2 people like this.
  3. Robert Glenn

Robert Glenn Well-Known Member

Well, For all tall and skinny guys I highly recommend to wear three button suit and must button the top two buttons, adding a bit extra break on trousers cuffs and lastly avoiding completely round shape shoes can work well. I know some of these tips are common but still quite essential!!

4. HollyJoint

HollyJoint Senior member

I'm looking for a coat for spring.

For thin people like me, what kind of coat that fits best? Harrington jacket will look good? other?

5. mybuddyandme

mybuddyandme New Member

I have been on the search for the perfect jeans for my lanky self. I'm 6'3" and can range from 150-160lbs. I was interested in finding raw denim that I could break in and get my own personalized fade. Anyway, I have had some luck with Unbranded UB101 Skinny Fit jeans. Their 36" inseam is long enough to cover my socks when I stand up, while wearing low top sneakers, and the cut is not skin tight but not too loose. I would love for some manufacturer to provide selvedge denim in a similar cut but bring the inseam to 37" or 38" so I could even have the option of a hem. As for shirts, I buy stuff off the rack and have my tailor girlfriend take in the sides and sleeves so my dress shirts don't billow out and t-shirts have a cleaner fit.

6. Sebastian_Flyte

Sebastian_Flyte Senior member

Nudie Jeans might work for you.

7. Michael_A

Michael_A Active Member

Tofujofu,

There is a really easy solution to your problem; just buy t shirts that are the correct length and bring them to the tailor to take in the sides and arms. This will allow the shirt to fit better than anything you can buy on the rack. I am 6'6" and 165lbs and there is a huge variety of good stuff I can make fit really well with the help of a tailor.

M

8. akagiggles36

akagiggles36 New Member

Oh thank goodness...HELP!!!

My son is 6'2" and only weighs 128 lbs....talk about skinny! Sad thing is....I spend about $800 a month feeding this kid but he doesn't gain an ounce (not a happy middle aged woman who looks at food and gains 5 lbs) anyway as I was saying.....My son is very tall and quite lanky. He's about to turn 18 and I'm looking to get him a good quality suit but having trouble finding retailers that carry anything remotely his size without costing a small fortune.

With your tips and suggestions I now know what to look for, but where to look is becoming a problem! I want to get him at least a jacket and pants with perhaps 2-3 shirts and a few ties. Shoes??....sigh size 14 thankfully I can find at most retailers.

Any suggestions?

9. mybuddyandme

mybuddyandme New Member

Im 6'3" 150-165lbs... So lanky. I got some high quality shirts and suit custom tailored on a trip to thailand. For around $180us I got a jet black silk cashmere suit, two nice soft cotton shirts and a couple ties. The dude took my measurements all over and i came home with some great formal wear that will last years. Afterward i kept the measurements and can use them to get discounted custom shirts made over the internet. Your boy needs a good custom fitting with that much lankieness. Hardly anyone in fashion caters to the truly lanky. Also I get shirts from banana republic big and tall. I then have the sides and arms taken in by my GF. GOOD LUCK.

10. Sebastian_Flyte

Sebastian_Flyte Senior member

- google search for "custom shirts" and you will find many decently affordable options.

- as the thread said, try ordering suits from Marks & Spencer in the UK - shipping is only 30 bucks or so, and they have the sizes he needs: 34L, 36L, 38L... they have a good returns policy, so even if you have to ship one or two back to the UK, it's probably worth it!

11. dan138zig

dan138zig Senior member

for sweatshirt is it best to go slim fit or regular or even almost boxy?

12. round

round Senior member

Ok, so I am not skinny, but my legs are, I'm 5'7 135lbs (working on losing more) I bought a lot of slim fit jeans but they are too big around the calf and knee, any recommendations, I usually wear a size 30. Im looking for a few black pairs of jeans/chinos. Any help is appreciated.