• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RULES for the tall and skinny man

wsblend

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sebastian_Flyte
^ I've been extremely pleased with Land's End turtlenecks size M. Long enough for my torso, slim body, long arms. I never noticed the big arm holes, but I always wear turtlenecks under a sport jacket or sweater, so it's a non-issue for me.
Yes, wear mine under a cardigan which itself has smaller armholes, thus cleaning up the fit. I have three of them from winter 09, I think if you didn't notice the big arm holes, you might have some from winter 08. Have you tried LL Bean turtlenecks? They sold theirs out sometime in January which was about when I started shopping for them, so I didn't get to try one this year.

Lendial

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jalland~
6'1
117lbs
25.5 waist
34 inseam
33 chest
14 neck

ive always considered myself quiet slim but your measurements make me look like a *****.
wow.gif

Hackett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wsblend
Anyone else buy lots of Lands End? I buy from them mostly because they have a huge volume of medium-talls but some of their clothes have too "relaxed" of a fit whereas some others are reasonable.

Me: 6'1", 38" chest, 15.5 neck, 35" arm, 33" waist, 32.5-3 inseam.

I find their long sleeve pima polos not too big-fitting.

Their turtlenecks, on the other hand, have really huge arm holes.

They have a "tailored" line of clothes, haven't tried them yet..

As far as shirts go, I haven't tried the Land's End tailored line, since they don't offer anything in a 15-35. I have, though, had relatively good experiences with their custom line, as far as cost and fit are concerned.

inlandisland

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hackett
As far as shirts go, I haven't tried the Land's End tailored line, since they don't offer anything in a 15-35. I have, though, had relatively good experiences with their custom line, as far as cost and fit are concerned.

Great thread - I've never seen it before, but I am in this group (about 6'1" and 150lbs).

As for land's end, I like them because they ship fast and so far they always have a pretty good quality product for the low prices. Unfortunately I got turned off their shirts because I ordered a custom shirt and indicated my size and requested the slim cut, but the shirt I got still had a fair bit of excess fabric, big armholes, tight wrists, and the length was slightly excessive. Also, because it was a custom order it took a LONG time to arrive. The shirt wasn't unwearable and the fabric was really nice, so I kept it rather than going through the trouble of sending it back. Because of this experience I never bothered to order any of their RTW tailored fit shirts.

Since then I've found that modern tailor does the same thing for a similar price or less with FAR more options and MUCH faster shipping.

Aside from shirts, I've got some of my favorite ties from them for $15 or less on sale, and today my suede wingtips arrived - I am looking forward to going home and trying them on, and I'm really hoping they fit! I've also been tempted to try a blazer or sport coat from LE, but haven't yet... thanks to this thread I know to avoid cotton when I do.

Finally, in response to the OP (and maybe this has been asked, but I havn't gone through every page of this thread) does the "no cotton" rule apply to corduroy as well? I've been thinking that I'd like a cord sport coat lately...

wsblend

Reaction score
Originally Posted by inlandisland

Finally, in response to the OP (and maybe this has been asked, but I havn't gone through every page of this thread) does the "no cotton" rule apply to corduroy as well? I've been thinking that I'd like a cord sport coat lately...

I have a cord sport coat and yes, it does tend to wrinkle at the lower back when I've been sitting. While I couldn't agree with a "no cotton" rule, it certainly does seem to be more wrinkle-prone than wool.

As for corduroy in general, its being so deeply textured helps to mitigate the appearance of wrinkles that would probably look worse on a jacket the same design but with smooth-faced cotton.

I got my sport coat from Macys, their Tasso Elba line, in a size Medium, which actually does seem to have arms long enough for me; I have 35" arms and my sport coat terminates right at my wrists. The body length is a bit short for my 6'1" frame, though, and being labeled a numerical size 39-41, the shoulders are both broad and pointy rather than rounded. As for availability, It's out of season now.

However, I tried on one of the lighter-weight cotton spring/summer blazers and the fit was similar- FYI to any other tall & skinny browsing summer blazers.

Sebastian_Flyte

Reaction score
Originally Posted by inlandisland

Corduroy runs into some of the same problems as plain old cotton: it doesn't hang. That said, for both cotton and corduroy, the better it's sized, the better it will be.

Wool is just more forgiving of a less-than-perfect fit than cotton.

franz_sanchez

Reaction score
It also depends on the brands. I know with brands such as Buffalo and Penguin I have found stuff that tends to run on the small side. You get a Polo shirt from Penguin that is Size L and it feels more like a Medium. Much different from some of those urban brands like Roca Wear where you know that Large sized polo shirt is more like an Extra Large.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sebastian_Flyte
a brand worth investigating is G-star Raw-- sold at Nordstrom and such.

Slender chest, long arms... the only problem is some items have ugly logos. If you can find a logo-less item, though, you're set.

But short torsos

Simion505

Reaction score
I'd be interested to hear any more advice for dressing your top half. I can look really bad wearing some things.

My legs are actually pretty nice cause I do a fair bit of cycling, so I've never had a problem with cotton trousers (might help that I generally wear skinny, tapered stuff so it doesn't have room for falling badly?)

wsblend

Reaction score
Just FYI.

They reduced their MT selection last year but it seems to be less sparse this year than last.

I may order some MT t-shirts from them, though they look to be pretty boxy. Take a look:
v-neck t-shirts

I'm hoping that my perception of the photo is wrong and that these t's will fit more like the EB MT t's I got 2-3 years ago which weren't "skinny" fitting but weren't too baggy at all.

Has anyone tried them?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads