• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RULES for the tall and skinny man

atsealvl

Reaction score
I am 6'2 180lbs. Have pretty thick thighs but skinny calves. I found slim jim didnt fit me well around the thighs because the denim fit tight. But the black coated pants fit well. I guess this is due to how they preshrink the denim or something but dont do the same process with the coated.

The grim timm series fits me very well. I guess they refer to it as "anti fit". Meaning regular waist and thighs but tapers down dramatically to get that overall skinny look at the bottom.

lektrix

Reaction score
yup Kenneth Cole is good for tall and slim, according to sales reps anyways lol

stringer

Reaction score
I got some GAP items in, in a medium tall. Cant find these in stores around here. Fit is OK ... for me its too long in length, with sleeves on the short side. Also cut larger than I'd like. Hopefully a wash will help.... One of the shirts is a long sleeve tee though, and cut like an XXL, complete with a 30" neck hole. And it says i can't return it to store, mail only. ******* pissed about that.

6'1, 150 now (gaining weight)

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
H&M and Bloomindales brand have some great sweaters in long sleeves.

stringer

Reaction score
The medium tall items came out of the laundry fitting much better. That one shirt is getting returned. The GAP cord jacket with shearling collar is pretty cool, very happy with it.

whatifclaptonisgod

Reaction score
Out of curiousity, and perhaps it's buried in the rhetoric I've been skimming over, does anyone know styles to help me compensate what I believe is an odd shoulder/ hip (even more so by the time i get to my ankles) ratio. I get these crummy skinny legs from my dad, and as an athlete I spent a lot of time in the gym and all my muscle seemed to sit higher, shoulders/chest (just over exaggerating everything... I am now 6'1" 158 soaking wet and I'm stuck with skinny legs and the residual shoulders and chest of my bench press 250 days and anytime I try to wear skinnier clothes (because they actually fit) I run the risk of looking like I'm going to teeter and my topheaviness is going to push me over any minute... woe is me

So what I'm really after, has anyone else had this problem? is there certain combinations of clothing (i.e. jackets/ sweaters/ flared bottom jeans) that would be more flattering given the circumstance? or should I introduce the world to the latest and greatest -- "the weeble wobble fad"? (I'm copyrighting that)

Sebastian_Flyte

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatifclaptonisgod
is there certain combinations of clothing (i.e. jackets/ sweaters/ flared bottom jeans) that would be more flattering given the circumstance? or should I introduce the world to the latest and greatest -- "the weeble wobble fad"? (I'm copyrighting that)
1) Wear baggy pants like 99% of American males. or 2) Find pants that fit you well but aren't too skinny, pants that don't flare in the THIGH and are not too lose under the knee. Nudie and Theory are two good ones. Also, take most other pants you buy to the tailor and taper below the knee to about 8-8.5''. Pants that don't flare in the thigh and gently hug the calves will look good no matter what your upper body looks like.

jackdaw

Reaction score
Someone asked about undershirts for flacos. I like the trim fit cotton + 5% lycra Merona house brand at Target. I'm 5'11" 145# and the Small fits trim enough, but still has a lot more length than any of the Mediums in other brands I used to buy.

sonofstan

Reaction score
Probably only of use to Europeans here, but I just thrifted a pair of Bertoni NWT cords 30/34 and they fit my 6'3" 150lb frame like a dream - not cut like jeans but like very slim suit trousers with proper side and back pockets. Danish brand, so fits the Scandinavians know best rule.

sonofstan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rexthedestroyer
I think a lot of you slim guys are young.

I'll be 50 this year and weigh, and look- grey hair excepted - much the same as I did when I was 18. I've never watched what i eat.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great thread, some good points made in here (I'm 6'3" and bounce between 150 and 160lbs). I have nothing really to add, other than for more casual wear I have found that cropped jackets look a lot better on me than something of a normal length
Also, thanks to the OP for the tip about getting pants tapered below the knee. Finding pants OTR (even jeans) that dont look huge around the calf has been a real pita

ChrisFoo

Reaction score
Do the rules about the length of sport coat change when you're tall and skinny? I'm 6'3" and 160lbs, not terribly skinny, but I have trouble finidng coats that fit well (38l or even 36l). How far down does the coat need to be? I've heard "covers the rear" too many times to count, but that looks very long on guys with long torsos...

I've yet to find a good picture of how a sport coat should hang on a tall man. Any examples?? Thanks!

Sebastian_Flyte

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChrisFoo
Do the rules about the length of sport coat change when you're tall and skinny? I'm 6'3" and 160lbs, not terribly skinny, but I have trouble finidng coats that fit well (38l or even 36l). How far down does the coat need to be? I've heard "covers the rear" too many times to count, but that looks very long on guys with long torsos...

I've yet to find a good picture of how a sport coat should hang on a tall man. Any examples?? Thanks!

Ignore the "cover the rear" rule at your own peril! If you choose to wear a shorter jacket, don't wear tight pants-- it looks pretty risque to have your ass cheeks hanging out from beneath your jacket
smile.gif

Find a jacket length measurement that works for you and seek those jackets out, whether they are long or regular.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads