• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RULES for the tall and skinny man

stringer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sebastian_Flyte
H&M has little availability online-- get to a bigger city and visit a store.

Spiewak medium jackets have longer than usual arms and are slimmer than other brands.

Thanks but are there any other companies? All their jackets are ugly.

Sebastian_Flyte

Reaction score

Scrutinizer

Reaction score
Good thread. I registered just to reply.

I'm 6' tall and between 135-140lbs. I'm skinny. In response to a few earlier posters: I don't need to bulk up. I go to the gym 3 times a week, I'm toned and - pound for pound - I can out lift almost anyone. Also, I look good and don't have any trouble pulling with super hot girls - and isn't that what our normative body standards are about anyway?

Clothes: Suits I get MTM. Off the rack stuff usually doesn't accommodate my 10 inch chest-waist drop. I echo the above regarding tailoring your shirts. Having a good relationship with a tailor is especially important for those of us with atypical body shapes. I agree regarding the khakis. They usually don't work for me. That said, I have a cotton jacket that is amongst my favourites of all time. A few pairs of woolen pants are next on my purchasing list. I have to stop wearing my suits as separates...

I have no insight into specific brands, but I will reiterate the above: MTM & Tailoring: the skinny man's friends.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Khakis work fine if they're cut right, they need to be slim through the leg, and taper down to the ankle. A 7.5" wide hem is perfect and its rare OTR.

They also need to be hemmed so they offer a slight break, of if they're to be worn in the summer with no socks, then no break.

Seasonal options are many times better then khakis, but they're a nice option to have, and its nice to have something which can be tossed into the washing machine.

johnmosby

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Khakis work fine if they're cut right, they need to be slim through the leg, and taper down to the ankle. A 7.5" wide hem is perfect and its rare OTR.

They also need to be hemmed so they offer a slight break, of if they're to be worn in the summer with no socks, then no break.

Seasonal options are many times better then khakis, but they're a nice option to have, and its nice to have something which can be tossed into the washing machine.

I just got a pair of ralph lauren slim cut chinos, and they look great.

If no one has mentioned diesel, they make a pretty long 34'' inseam which is nice, and their jeans fit me better than any other jeans I've ever worn.

Also, this is an important tip regarding shoes. Tall guys have big feet, but don't have big legs, so it's important to wear a style of shoe that looks small.

I'm 6'2 and 150 btw.

P.S. I'm going to read through this thread some more, but the biggest problem I have is t-shirts. The sleeves flare out, and if I size down, the sleeves are too short. Does anyone have a solution to this problem? I've never worn a tee that fit well in my life.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Diesel? Try on a pair of RRL selvage, they have a long inseam, they're thin, and since they're selvage they break into stretch where its needed .

stringer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnmosby
P.S. I'm going to read through this thread some more, but the biggest problem I have is t-shirts. The sleeves flare out, and if I size down, the sleeves are too short. Does anyone have a solution to this problem? I've never worn a tee that fit well in my life.

i know ill prolly get bagged on for this, but i dont care. try hollister/abercrombie items. their "muscle" fit is nice and slim with extra long, tapered sleeves. Its the only place i can shop off-the-rack. i just try to avoid their logo-plastered stuff, which can be challenging.

stringer

Reaction score
Can anyone else comment on this jacket, either positive or negative. I just need some opinions. Thanks.

gp694947-00vliv01.jpg

gp694947-00av1v01.jpg

cimabue

Reaction score
Looks pretty good, but the more important question may be, How does it look on you?

I have a white-fleece-collar-jacket policy. I don't wear one unless it's at least flurrying. Snow and fleece collars go together, imo. This jacket would not work since it's too light for winter wear.

I also have a Gap policy. I avoid their stuff. Seems like nothing fits right after the first washing.

Anyway, good luck finding the jacket you love.

czjl

Reaction score
I would have to agree with the Nudie Slim Jims post. Especially since it has a low rise cut, so the 34 inseam actually reaches nicely to my feet without losing the fitted look around the ass. Probably better than the 7fam slimmys and diesels that i have tried on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads