Rules for Sweaters or Sweater Vests With Business Suits

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MrDaniels, Jan 1, 2010.

1. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

What are the rules or accepted etiquette for wearing sweaters or sweater vests with suits. for me, they look a bit incongruous with a formal business suit and work more effectively with coordinated pants and a sport coat.

Also, what is the point of wearing a crew neck sweater with a tie? Always looks weird to me.

What does the peanut gallery say?

2. blackbowtie

blackbowtie Senior member

Also, what is the point of wearing a crew neck sweater with a tie? Always looks weird to me.

+1. *throwing peanuts*

3. Wrenkin

Wrenkin Senior member

To stay warm. Are you so worried about people assuming you aren't wearing a tie that you need to cut a v-shaped hole out of your sweater to drive the point home?

4. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

To stay warm. Are you so worried about people assuming you aren't wearing a tie that you need to cut a v-shaped hole out of your sweater to drive the point home?

Yes, it keeps me up nights as I compulsively fix the tie I wear with my three-piece pajamas.

5. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

It's bitterly cold in these parts and will remain so next week. I'm likely to add a sweater or sweater vest to my suits next week.

6. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Hate it!

Wear a wool tie to keep the front warm, and if its that cold wear a Cashmere overcoat and scarf.

Sweaters look OK with a sportcoat, but i dont really like that anymore ether.

7. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

I'm actually the opposite of Skinny, I used to be against the idea now I have a light grey button-up sweater I throw on under many suit and odd-jacket combos.

8. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I'm actually the opposite of Skinny, I used to be against the idea now I have a light grey button-up sweater I throw on under many suit and odd-jacket combos.
    I used to hate the look, too, and have never actually worn a sweater with a suit or blazer. It's really cold and I want to stay warm so I'm giving it some thought for next week. Besides, I have some nice sweaters that haven't gotten any wear this season.

9. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

I think Montesquei does the look really well.

My problem is that my suit/SC jackets are cut fairly trim that adding a sweater, even a thin one adds too much bulk.

10. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

My problem is that my suit/SC jackets are cut fairly trim that adding a sweater, even a thin one adds too much bulk.

In your case, I would wear the sweater over your jacket.

- B

11. Glados1984

Glados1984 Senior member

What are the rules or accepted etiquette for wearing sweaters or sweater vests with suits. for me, they look a bit incongruous with a formal business suit and work more effectively with coordinated pants and a sport coat.

What does the peanut gallery say?

I'd rather be warm. yes, needs to be V-neck though.

12. Chim12

Chim12 Senior member

For Dec - Feb I'll do a slim v-neck under the jacket (suit or SC) on the very cold days. Takes a bit of getting used to for the slimmer fitting suits, but it's a nice look that's become more popular

13. Wrenkin

Wrenkin Senior member

In your case, I would wear the sweater over your jacket.

Calvin Klein was apparently doing it for women in 1992. The 80s are played out by now, right...? New decade, new throwback decade.

14. lightsaber

lightsaber Senior member

If you can't see the tie then why wear the tie? A tie exists only as a visual adornment. Anyone who wears a crew-neck sweater with a tie is a fucking idiot.

15. Wrenkin

Wrenkin Senior member

If you can't see the tie then why wear the tie? A tie exists only as a visual adornment. Anyone who wears a crew-neck sweater with a tie is a fucking idiot.

Anyone who takes off their tie anytime they get cold & require a sweater is a masochist. If you want to talk about how lapels or collars or underpants are just societal conventions then there are other fora where you will find easy validation.