• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rules for an odd jacket

Fly1296

Reaction score
While thrifting yesterday I came across a very nice 3-button navy with a narrow, subtle herringbone weave that fit me perfectly. However, the jacket was solo and a search of the pants (I've learned jackets and pants often get seperated) turned nothing up. I've been thinking it might work nicely as an odd jacket, perhaps with grey flannels but I've no experience with the odd jacket, only blazers/sport coats.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If there are no pinstripes, then you're good. I won't do pinstripes on an odd jacket. If it's a solid/herringbone weave, then you ought to be able to wear it with anything, except maybe pajama bottoms.

Fly1296

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acridsheep
Put some different colored buttons on it. Then it shifts categories.

By shift categories you mean it would become a blazer or sport jacket? I would have thought that the cut of this particular jacket would preclude that, but part of the reason I'm here is to broaden my sartorial knowledge.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fly1296
By shift categories you mean it would become a blazer or sport jacket? I would have thought that the cut of this particular jacket would preclude that, but part of the reason I'm here is to broaden my sartorial knowledge.

You may be right about the cut, but how would I know....
biggrin.gif

Roger Everett

Reaction score
Put some different colored buttons on it. Then it shifts categories.

This was my inital thought when I read OP. I'm not a 3 button man, But SCs and even blazers come that way. Ofcourse it should just plain navy. Even if it has pinstrip or detail or anything it might still work out good w/ jeans for a knock around, but I wouldn't go w/ blazer buttons then.

TheBurnOut

Reaction score
What sort of buttons would be appropriate?

I hear this suggestion a lot but it usually ends right there. Would you suggest horn buttons? Brass buttons?

Fly1296

Reaction score
You may be right about the cut, but how would I know....
biggrin.gif

I know...I'm going to pick it up this afternoon (I'll be able to get it for $7 on 1/2 price Wednesdays) and post pics later for opinions

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picture will help. On the button question horn or perhaps leather. No brass I'd say.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fly1296
I've no experience with the odd jacket, only blazers/sport coats.

An odd jacket and a sport-coat are the same thing. If it is an orphaned suit jacket, then it is neither of these things. Since it's navy you can likely still make it work, as it is somewhat close to a blazer; as mentioned above, changing the buttons would be a start. Personally I would put white MoP buttons on it, but smoked MoP would probably look good too, or just contrasting horn.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
An odd jacket and a sport-coat are the same thing. If it is an orphaned suit jacket, then it is neither of these things. Since it's navy you can likely still make it work, as it is somewhat close to a blazer; as mentioned above, changing the buttons would be a start. Personally I would put white MoP buttons on it, but smoked MoP would probably look good too, or just contrasting horn.

+1

if horn, I'd go for brown ones

Matt S

Reaction score
It's definitely a suit coat because it's solid. If it were a herringbone weave in navy and white then it would be okay. Brown horn is the best option, but it will still look like a suit coat.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone fill me in on exactly what separates a sportcoat/blazer from a suit coat without mentioning buttons? There may be some kinda subtle difference, but I've never seen one. The best I've seen is a tendency toward different materials (suits tend to be more subtle since they cover more area).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads