• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ruined Clothing from Dry Cleaners

ebmk3891

Reaction score
Just had a brand new Hugo Boss shirt laundered and the front of collar looks like it got bleached. The shirt is a light blue color and I still have the receipt, so hopefully they'll reimburse me (at least some of it). Funny thing is, my cousin gave me a similar colored Hugo Boss shirt awhile back that he was going to donate. It was all wrinkled so I went to get it cleaned and came back the same way. I thought initially that the shirt was like that and didn't notice, but it's happened a second time (it was too big anyways). I know it's not the highest quality shirt in the world, but is it really the manufacturer or the cleaners?

Just wondering what bad experiences you guys have had?

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ebmk3891
Just had a brand new Hugo Boss shirt laundered and the front of collar looks like it got bleached. The shirt is a light blue color and I still have the receipt, so hopefully they'll reimburse me (at least some of it). Funny thing is, my cousin gave me a similar colored Hugo Boss shirt awhile back that he was going to donate. It was all wrinkled so I went to get it cleaned and came back the same way. I thought initially that the shirt was like that and didn't notice, but it's happened a second time (it was too big anyways). I know it's not the highest quality shirt in the world, but is it really the manufacturer or the cleaners?

This happened to me when a buddy borrowed a shirt from me and sweated on the collar. He didn't wash it for a couple of days. Needless to say the collar was bleached looking. I had him reimburse me full price but it was annoying.

This sounds like the dry cleaners screwed up though, take it back and ask for reimbursement.

Hollowthorn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ebmk3891

Should have checked it on the spot when you recieved it.

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you use medication, lotions, cologne or possibly perfume that mixed with the stuff they use to clean the collars could cause this reaction. Had the same problem with a TM Lewin shirt, luckily I can send it back.

ebmk3891

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beckwith
If you use medication, lotions, cologne or possibly perfume that mixed with the stuff they use to clean the collars could cause this reaction. Had the same problem with a TM Lewin shirt, luckily I can send it back.

hmm now that you mention that - that could be the problem. I use a moisturizer on my face and have noticed that some of my collars on tshirts are fading as well. Originally, I thought it was cologne since I was putting it on my neck, but I've stopped doing that. I do sweat a lot in general, but that particular day, it was really chilly. I'll have to run some tests to see if it is the moisturizer.

1) check the items at the premises
It was a bulk-order, but I'll be sure to do that next time.
2) why dry clean? just wash the shirt throw it in the washer
I have an iron, but no ironing board at the moment. If I need to iron, I use a towel on a table, but it's pretty annoying and tedious. I'm gonna pickup an ironing board.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
2) why dry clean? just wash the shirt throw it in the washer

My dry cleaner charges $1 to dry clean a shirt. They are almost next door to my house too. I figure the time I save ironing, washing, and drying more than makes up for the $10.80 I spend every 2 weeks.

thunderthighs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beckwith

+1

I've actually seen this happen with benzoyl peroxide based acne medications.

ebmk3891

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thunderthighs
+1

I've actually seen this happen with benzoyl peroxide based acne medications.

Looks like that is the cause. Just googled it and will bleach any form of fabric and has even been noted to bleach wall paint. I had been applying to my neck more recently due to some buildup, but I think it was a facial cleanser reacting to my skin negatively.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads