• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ruined Clothing from Dry Cleaners

ebmk3891

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2010
Messages
196
Reaction score
1
Just had a brand new Hugo Boss shirt laundered and the front of collar looks like it got bleached. The shirt is a light blue color and I still have the receipt, so hopefully they'll reimburse me (at least some of it). Funny thing is, my cousin gave me a similar colored Hugo Boss shirt awhile back that he was going to donate. It was all wrinkled so I went to get it cleaned and came back the same way. I thought initially that the shirt was like that and didn't notice, but it's happened a second time (it was too big anyways). I know it's not the highest quality shirt in the world, but is it really the manufacturer or the cleaners?

Just wondering what bad experiences you guys have had?
 

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2010
Messages
3,319
Reaction score
50
Originally Posted by ebmk3891
Just had a brand new Hugo Boss shirt laundered and the front of collar looks like it got bleached. The shirt is a light blue color and I still have the receipt, so hopefully they'll reimburse me (at least some of it). Funny thing is, my cousin gave me a similar colored Hugo Boss shirt awhile back that he was going to donate. It was all wrinkled so I went to get it cleaned and came back the same way. I thought initially that the shirt was like that and didn't notice, but it's happened a second time (it was too big anyways). I know it's not the highest quality shirt in the world, but is it really the manufacturer or the cleaners?

Just wondering what bad experiences you guys have had?


This happened to me when a buddy borrowed a shirt from me and sweated on the collar. He didn't wash it for a couple of days. Needless to say the collar was bleached looking. I had him reimburse me full price but it was annoying.

This sounds like the dry cleaners screwed up though, take it back and ask for reimbursement.
 

Hollowthorn

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2009
Messages
113
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by ebmk3891
Just had a brand new Hugo Boss shirt laundered and the front of collar looks like it got bleached. The shirt is a light blue color and I still have the receipt, so hopefully they'll reimburse me (at least some of it). Funny thing is, my cousin gave me a similar colored Hugo Boss shirt awhile back that he was going to donate. It was all wrinkled so I went to get it cleaned and came back the same way. I thought initially that the shirt was like that and didn't notice, but it's happened a second time (it was too big anyways). I know it's not the highest quality shirt in the world, but is it really the manufacturer or the cleaners?

Just wondering what bad experiences you guys have had?

Should have checked it on the spot when you recieved it.
 

Beckwith

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
903
Reaction score
150
If you use medication, lotions, cologne or possibly perfume that mixed with the stuff they use to clean the collars could cause this reaction. Had the same problem with a TM Lewin shirt, luckily I can send it back.
 

ebmk3891

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2010
Messages
196
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by Beckwith
If you use medication, lotions, cologne or possibly perfume that mixed with the stuff they use to clean the collars could cause this reaction. Had the same problem with a TM Lewin shirt, luckily I can send it back.

hmm now that you mention that - that could be the problem. I use a moisturizer on my face and have noticed that some of my collars on tshirts are fading as well. Originally, I thought it was cologne since I was putting it on my neck, but I've stopped doing that. I do sweat a lot in general, but that particular day, it was really chilly. I'll have to run some tests to see if it is the moisturizer.

1) check the items at the premises
It was a bulk-order, but I'll be sure to do that next time.
2) why dry clean? just wash the shirt throw it in the washer
I have an iron, but no ironing board at the moment. If I need to iron, I use a towel on a table, but it's pretty annoying and tedious. I'm gonna pickup an ironing board.
 

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2008
Messages
8,103
Reaction score
56
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
2) why dry clean? just wash the shirt throw it in the washer

My dry cleaner charges $1 to dry clean a shirt. They are almost next door to my house too. I figure the time I save ironing, washing, and drying more than makes up for the $10.80 I spend every 2 weeks.
 

thunderthighs

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 8, 2010
Messages
93
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by Beckwith
If you use medication, lotions, cologne or possibly perfume that mixed with the stuff they use to clean the collars could cause this reaction. Had the same problem with a TM Lewin shirt, luckily I can send it back.

+1

I've actually seen this happen with benzoyl peroxide based acne medications.
 

ebmk3891

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2010
Messages
196
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by thunderthighs
+1

I've actually seen this happen with benzoyl peroxide based acne medications.


Looks like that is the cause. Just googled it and will bleach any form of fabric and has even been noted to bleach wall paint. I had been applying to my neck more recently due to some buildup, but I think it was a facial cleanser reacting to my skin negatively.
 

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 16 3.3%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 82 16.9%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 160 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 79 16.3%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 41 8.5%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 30 6.2%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 18 3.7%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 9 1.9%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 13 2.7%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 4 0.8%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 4 0.8%
  • 100+

    Votes: 28 5.8%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,588
Messages
9,201,152
Members
193,210
Latest member
Oeonireyru

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top