• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ruined cashmere... Need anti-moth recommendations

yywwyy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I never thought this would happen to me because I'm usually meticulous with my clothes and my cleanliness is said to be next to godliness. However, one of my drawers seem to be problematic and my cashmere sweaters have been eaten. This is the first time I've had this problem. I'm quite surprised because these sweaters were new and stored for wear this winter; I've heard moth larvae are attracted to the "nutrients" that's stuck to worn clothing.

In any case, I've done some searches but found them unsatisfactory. I've kept these sweaters with small cedar balls, but I was skeptical when I got them because they didn't smell much. Could you recommend some higher quality, specific moth-control products for me, that you know are effective based on experience? I really want to avoid those foul-smelling moth balls/products, unless they're the only solution. My main closet is air conditioned and I store my cedar shoe-trees there, and perhaps as a result, nothing in there have been damaged- However, I definitely want to reinforce my protection in every way possible.

Also, what should I do with potentially-affected clothing and furniture? Is there a way to kill any larvae that may still be hiding in my drawer? Are they even visible?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Johnboy

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Napthalene balls work very well but are toxic, and Camphor oil also works very well and may be a better option. Check them out on Wikipedia.

yywwyy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Napthalene balls are the white stuff that smells really badly, right? I want to avoid those as the smell gives me headaches. Will check out Camphor oil.

I've decided to pack my potentially affected woolens in plastic bags and store them in the freezer for a while, to kill any larvae that may be present on them. Has anyone tried this?

Artking3

Reaction score
I recommend cedar wood blocks. You do need to refresh cedar wood every few months by sanding them or spraying them with cedar wood spray.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that freezing for a long period will do the job. Drycleaning the items would also work. In my house, we send all of the cold weather wool stuff to the cleaners at the end of the season and then put the clean clothes in moth-proof bags or boxes. No casualties so far.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads