• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rugged winter coat recommendations

mr bunbury

Reaction score
Hey, I asked a similar question over in the men's clothing forum and thought I'd try it here too. I'm looking for a tough, _casual_ winter jacket. My ideal jacket is fabric- or leather-based (not a technical jacket), but also tough enough to stand some rain and snow. I'm 6'2", about 200 lbs, and I wear a 44-46" jacket depending on the cut. Because I'm a pretty big guy I tend to look silly in jackets (like M65s) that hit at the waist. I'm thinking of:

- The Engineered Garments Monty duffel in black, which I tried on at Drinkwater's and which is pretty cool;

main-s.jpg

- A peacoat from Sterlingwear or J. Press (J. Press has a nice one for $230);

P-COAT-MARINER-BLACK.jpg

- A Filson double mackinaw coat, weekender coat, or the 'holiday' plaid cape coat;

pFILSON1-2230887p275w.jpg

pFILSON1-2994228p275w.jpg

pFILSON1-3088286_filson1_p275w.jpg

- A Barbour waxed Beaufort with a lining (I have a down vest from another jacket that happens to fit in under the Barbour).

Today, for instance, it's a cold, cloudy day in Boston with a chance of showers, and I would love to take _one_ coat with me and not worry about it if it gets a little wet. I'm worried that the EG duffel, even though it seems tough, is too nice a coat to treat this way. This coat would what I take when I travel in the winter months or what I wear on the weekend around Boston. I already own a high-quality wool winter coat from Emile Lafaurie and I don't want to end up duplicating it, but with toggles. On the other hand, although it's more expensive it has more style (IMO) than the others. Ideally I'm going to wear this with my new standards, esp. with the overdyed black pair I own that's now fading into a very dark indigo.

Any ideas out there? Or opinions on these coats?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Monty will take lots of abuse and keep looking good. Melton and boiled wool are really good for this. Naturally water resistant, doesn't pill easily, if at all. If it gets wet, just shake it out, and you are good to go. There is a reason old winter workwear was often made of boiled wool - it's great for inclement weather. I personally think that the Monty has a lot of style compared to the other jackets shown. Sterlingwear peacoats are nothing to laugh at either, but they *will* pill more easily than the Monty.

mr bunbury

Reaction score
Yeah, I am pretty convinced by the Monty; the J. Press peacoat is also melton wool, so that's also attractive. Depending on whether or not any other ideas pop up I may be heading over to Drinkwater's tomorrow (or this afternoon).....

Reaction score
hey mrjosh

from personal experience, monty trumps beaufort w/ lining hands down; you will find the monty will accomodate layers better than the barbour w/ a down vest.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like the fourth one down....nice color, too.

raley

Reaction score
I really like the EG duffel. I can't believe that in the back of my mind I wish I lived in a colder climate just so I could wear it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads