• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rugby Shirts - With What?

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I might be getting a Brooks Brothers rugby shirt in their coming BIG sale, starting Tuesday. I haven't had a rugby shirt for several years but recall it was always a hassle trying to come up with what should be worn under it. When I got my first one, also a BB, their salesman suggested a white shirt (assumably dress) would look snappy, but I don't even own a white dress shirt at the moment and am convinced it doesn't have to be that limiting. I know the classic rugby has a white collar so it would look good, but still....
Basically I think of a casual, knit polo shirt - short or long sleeve - as being fine with a t-shirt underneath like, say, a flannel shirt. But not sure about a rugby shirt over a t-shirt. Seems it might not look too swift wearing a typically horizontally striped rugby shirt over a plaid shirt. I realize the shirt underneath is barely seen, but subtle is, as often, the name of the game.
I notice BB doesn't show guys wearing rugby shirts in their catalogs; maybe they're confused too?

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd wear a rugby in our colder season, such as now, and I'd certainly want to wear more than just a shirt - on the heavy side though it might be. Like a flannel shirt or sweater. I'm talking northern Ohio here, and Oct.-Apr.

larsrindsig

Reaction score
confused.gif
What happen? Why on earth would you want to wear a collared shirt under a rugby shirt?

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2 collars would look very strange. I wouldn't wear anything under it.

TintinATL

Reaction score
A t-shirt at most.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I change my "seasonal" wardrobe twice a year - during April and during October - and there are only a few days a year I wear a winter shirt with nothing under it. Just not heavy enough. Wearing a dress white shirt under a rugby seems to be a traditional practice, and - particularly if it's a button down - I don't think the dress shirt's collar really distracts, if it's seen at all. Then there's a T-shirt possibility. But I wonder what others do.
I'm sure a rugby shirt by itself is fine when the temperature is, say 40 or 50 degrees, but now when I'm walking or waiting for a bus around here on the oh-so-many colder days. It makes me uneasy even thinking of wearing only one shirt in our winters....

Taxler

Reaction score
BB has an entire page of models wearing rugby shirts, and none of them are wearing anything under it. If you're cold, try a v-neck t-shirt that won't show.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
white undershirt under a rugby shirt is a pretty standard casual combination. Here's yours truly wearing a US Eagles rugby shirt with standard crew neck undershirt underneath.
11-05-08_1123.jpg

Spirit of 69

Reaction score
No Lafont I'm still not with you on this. A rugby shirt is a rugby shirt, you possibly wear a jumper or jacket on top of it, I've done so in the past, but then again that was in England, where rugby shirts are worn properly
smile.gif
But please don't wear another collared shirt or even a t-shirt underneath it. At most a breathable sports-thermal like runners wear if you're looking for extra warmth.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We seem to be running into cultural differences now. BYW, what is a "jumper?" Not a term used around here except a women's garment.
confused.gif

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
white undershirt under a rugby shirt is a pretty standard casual combination. Here's yours truly wearing a US Eagles rugby shirt with standard crew neck undershirt underneath.
11-05-08_1123.jpg

This is how I wear mine, though I tend to wear it untucked. Great for walking the dog and running errands.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lafont
We seem to be running into cultural differences now. BYW, what is a "jumper?" Not a term used around here except a women's garment.
confused.gif

Jumper (UK) = Sweater (US).

To extend the cultural translation, rephrase the question as 'What would I wear under a football jersey'?

Steggy

Reaction score
i usually wear a white vneck and some light khaki's with mine.

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
I always wear untucked with a white t-shirt underneath.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads