1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Rugby Shirts - With What?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Lafont, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Lafont

Lafont Senior member

Just looks bad to tuck in anything thick. Ditto the sweater - even a relatively lightweight one. Next someone will argue for tucking in a sportcoat. Cheesh![​IMG]

2. Lafont

Lafont Senior member

Much up to 60% off, with some of their better things - e.g. hats, non-iron shirts, the aforementioned rugby shirts, duffel coats, certain slacks, etc. 50% off. I noted as late as this a.m. BB's website still had only the sale which began 12/26 but they should be changing this very soon (as long as they mention it doesn't begin 'til Tuesday).
    A young lady at one of our BB's had told me their "biggest sale" begins the day after xmas but she was wrong - Tuesday's is larger (although, obviously, some of the items one wants might be gone by then).

3. hadamulletonce

hadamulletonce Senior member

I nice slim fit t-shirt under it. Rugby shirts look great year round.

4. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

Just looks bad to tuck in anything thick. Ditto the sweater - even a relatively lightweight one. Next someone will argue for tucking in a sportcoat. Cheesh![​IMG]

I'm with you on the sweater but not the rugby. Rugbys looks good tucked in with jeans and nice shoes, or untucked with jeans or chinos with say boatshoes. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this point. [​IMG]

5. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

In the 80's, very a polo under a rugby was common...

6. smoothie

smoothie Senior member

Hmm depends, my personal taste is if you wear a rugby with a white collar shirt underneath the rugby should be a solid color. WHen im wearing a rugby with rugby stripes, i usually wear a tshirt matching the darkest color stripe.

7. Lafont

Lafont Senior member

Yes, I could see that if you have color t-shirts and of a color very close. I asked one of my main salesmen at BB today what to wear underneath and his immediate response was a knit polo. The two collars doesn't bother him too much, apparently, and then, again, it barely shows.
    BTW, how about over a rugby? Sweater? Maybe a cardigan but what about a pullover? Under a sportcoat, such as a blazer?[​IMG]

8. ccffm1

ccffm1 Senior member

I love my rugbies and usually wear either an OCBD or a polo shirt underneath them.

9. Narciso

Narciso Senior member

A collared shirt under a rugby shirt seems utterly ridiculous to me. I've never seen it. Perhaps it's some weird regional styling? A polo shirt gets a pass from me, but there's a reason most people consider the 80s the high point of kitsch.

10. Hanseat

Hanseat Senior member

I love my rugbies and usually wear either an OCBD or a polo shirt underneath them.

+1

11. VictorC

VictorC Senior member

No Lafont I'm still not with you on this. A rugby shirt is a rugby shirt, you possibly wear a jumper or jacket on top of it, I've done so in the past, but then again that was in England, where rugby shirts are worn properly [​IMG] But please don't wear another collared shirt or even a t-shirt underneath it. At most a breathable sports-thermal like runners wear if you're looking for extra warmth.

Ive never worn a jumper over a rugby shirt but maybe i will try it someday. Can it be any v neck jumper? And i would never tuck a rugby shirt into jeans as well.

12. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Ive never worn a jumper over a rugby shirt but maybe i will try it someday. Can it be any v neck jumper? And i would never tuck a rugby shirt into jeans as well.

Yes and yes....

I fully agree with Victor...

A rugby shirt can be at best casual chic...

Don't tuck it into your jeans,please...

13. VictorC

VictorC Senior member

Do people think a long sleeved shirt under a rugby shirt is stylish or the done thing?
    Crew clothing websites and models do it as do a few others i believe.

14. otacon

otacon Senior member

Pics of someone wearing a collared shirt (tennis, button-down, whatever else you can think of) under a rugby shirt? I want to see this [​IMG]

15. P. Bateman

P. Bateman Senior member

As a rugby player this thread makes me sad.

Under a rugby you can wear pads, an undershirt, or nothing. A second collar, be it a polo or button down, is an afront to the sport and the heritage of the garment.