Rugby Shirts - With What?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Lafont, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Lafont

Lafont Senior member

I might be getting a Brooks Brothers rugby shirt in their coming BIG sale, starting Tuesday. I haven't had a rugby shirt for several years but recall it was always a hassle trying to come up with what should be worn under it. When I got my first one, also a BB, their salesman suggested a white shirt (assumably dress) would look snappy, but I don't even own a white dress shirt at the moment and am convinced it doesn't have to be that limiting. I know the classic rugby has a white collar so it would look good, but still....
    Basically I think of a casual, knit polo shirt - short or long sleeve - as being fine with a t-shirt underneath like, say, a flannel shirt. But not sure about a rugby shirt over a t-shirt. Seems it might not look too swift wearing a typically horizontally striped rugby shirt over a plaid shirt. I realize the shirt underneath is barely seen, but subtle is, as often, the name of the game.
    I notice BB doesn't show guys wearing rugby shirts in their catalogs; maybe they're confused too?

2. Spirit of 69

Spirit of 69 Senior member

Under it? Why would you want to wear anything under it?

3. Lafont

Lafont Senior member

I'd wear a rugby in our colder season, such as now, and I'd certainly want to wear more than just a shirt - on the heavy side though it might be. Like a flannel shirt or sweater. I'm talking northern Ohio here, and Oct.-Apr.

4. larsrindsig

larsrindsig Senior member

[​IMG] What happen? Why on earth would you want to wear a collared shirt under a rugby shirt?

5. fuji

fuji Senior member

2 collars would look very strange. I wouldn't wear anything under it.

6. TintinATL

TintinATL Senior member

A t-shirt at most.

7. Lafont

Lafont Senior member

I change my "seasonal" wardrobe twice a year - during April and during October - and there are only a few days a year I wear a winter shirt with nothing under it. Just not heavy enough. Wearing a dress white shirt under a rugby seems to be a traditional practice, and - particularly if it's a button down - I don't think the dress shirt's collar really distracts, if it's seen at all. Then there's a T-shirt possibility. But I wonder what others do.
    I'm sure a rugby shirt by itself is fine when the temperature is, say 40 or 50 degrees, but now when I'm walking or waiting for a bus around here on the oh-so-many colder days. It makes me uneasy even thinking of wearing only one shirt in our winters....

8. Taxler

Taxler Senior member

BB has an entire page of models wearing rugby shirts, and none of them are wearing anything under it. If you're cold, try a v-neck t-shirt that won't show.

9. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

white undershirt under a rugby shirt is a pretty standard casual combination. Here's yours truly wearing a US Eagles rugby shirt with standard crew neck undershirt underneath. [​IMG]

10. Spirit of 69

Spirit of 69 Senior member

No Lafont I'm still not with you on this. A rugby shirt is a rugby shirt, you possibly wear a jumper or jacket on top of it, I've done so in the past, but then again that was in England, where rugby shirts are worn properly [​IMG] But please don't wear another collared shirt or even a t-shirt underneath it. At most a breathable sports-thermal like runners wear if you're looking for extra warmth.

11. Lafont

Lafont Senior member

We seem to be running into cultural differences now. BYW, what is a "jumper?" Not a term used around here except a women's garment.[​IMG]

12. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

white undershirt under a rugby shirt is a pretty standard casual combination. Here's yours truly wearing a US Eagles rugby shirt with standard crew neck undershirt underneath. [​IMG]
    This is how I wear mine, though I tend to wear it untucked. Great for walking the dog and running errands.

13. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

We seem to be running into cultural differences now. BYW, what is a "jumper?" Not a term used around here except a women's garment.[​IMG]

Jumper (UK) = Sweater (US).

To extend the cultural translation, rephrase the question as 'What would I wear under a football jersey'?

14. Steggy

Steggy Senior member

i usually wear a white vneck and some light khaki's with mine.

15. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Senior member

I always wear untucked with a white t-shirt underneath.