• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rugby Ralph Lauren Replacement

Charlesmbush

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a pretty slim guy (34R jacket most places, 36R in Rugby, 28x30 pants), and I was seriously dismayed at the demise of Rugby Ralph Lauren in February (My wife bought me a couple sweaters for Christmas, and I hadn't looked on there since, so I had no idea until it was too late).

Rugby was pretty much my one-stop-shop for shirts and sweaters, and even jackets and sportcoats. Their 36R jackets fit me like a glove, and I've not been able to come close to the fit from any other OTR brand without tailoring. I also especially liked their Oxfords (unmarked or with the "R"), wool sweaters (crazy prices for the quality, fit, and materials), and dress pants (great fit and as good or better quality than PRL for me).

So far, I've just begun to rebuild my supply lines for these things now that Rugby is gone. PRL Custom Fit Oxfords are a good alternative, but I pay almost $30 more, and I have to live with the ubiquitous pony on the front. Is there anything that compares to an unmarked Rugby oxford shirt for around $60-70?

I've almost given up on jackets, Caurso sportcoats for under $500 with that pristine fit just seems too good to be going on elsewhere. Nonetheless, do you guys have any recommendations for similar quality and fit under $500?

The sweaters are what I will miss the most. Being on the small side, I feel the cold pretty quick, and so I am a big proponent of wool. Of course, I also like sturdy construction and a trim, non-puffy fit. Are there any thin (their Shetland wool sweaters) or medium-thick (their shawl-collars for example) sweaters out there for under $150 and $200, respectively?

I've found their pants easy to replicate in fit, but I have either been forced to go much lower down the quality ladder, or pay close to $200 per pair to get similar results. Are there any solid lines of both cotton and wool pants with varied styles (trousers, chinos, cords) and fabrics out there with Rugby quality and fit under $150/pr.?
I would like made in U.S.A., but I realize that’s asking a lot for my price range.

Thank you guys in advance, I hope I can discover some nice new duds soon, J. Crew just doesn't stack up for more cash.

Charlesmbush

Reaction score
Brooks Brothers for what? Their shirts are pretty billowy, even the extra slim fit, from what I have read. I didn't see a slim-fit pant, and their sweaters are as billowy and shopping-mall drab as it gets. I may try one of their shirts if I can find them in person, but nothing grabs me enough to chance it for the price.

Speaking of which, shirts seem to be fairly cheap for MTM, and so should be easy to replicate in fit. How does the quality of MTM sources like Luxire, My Tailor, and Proper cloth compare to Rugby?

Also, are there any reasonable dress pants and trousers out there that have a slim fit (I actually thought of Rugby as too slim) with high quality fabric and construction for around $150?

surrender

Reaction score
Extra slim fits are absolutely not billowy, especially the dress shirts. They're currently 40% off for orders of 4+.

Pants: Uniqlo and Brooks Brothers Milano fit.

Charlesmbush

Reaction score
Uniqlo is pretty low quality stuff, I've had some of their pants, as well as Express, and I count them as comparable to one another, but definitely a step or two down from the likes of PRL and Rugby. Brooks Brothers only list sizes down to 30/30 on their site, and I wear 28/30. I have the same problem with J. Crew, which only offers 32" inseams with their 28" waist. I would have to hem every pair of pants I would buy from them, and I was hoping to skip that. PRL may be my only recourse it seems.

I notice Luxire offers MTM trousers as well as shirts, any feedback on quality or experience in comparison to Rugby/PRL (in regards to either shirts or pants)? I like the looks of Nialma for MTM shirts as well, though that's edging out of my budget. Proper Cloth has a nice site, but I've read mixed reviews.

Charlesmbush

Reaction score
I feel your pain. Rugby Ralph Lauren was awesome...

You're telling me, after I found Rugby, it was hard to even consider much else. They had (almost) everything I was looking for. I hope something rises up from RL to replace it's quality, fit, and value. D&S is a step down in my experience, and Club Monaco just doesn't have the kind of pieces I really dug from Rugby.

jhwendland

Reaction score
Brooks Brothers for what? Their shirts are pretty billowy, even the extra slim fit, from what I have read. I didn't see a slim-fit pant, and their sweaters are as billowy and shopping-mall drab as it gets. I may try one of their shirts if I can find them in person, but nothing grabs me enough to chance it for the price.

Speaking of which, shirts seem to be fairly cheap for MTM, and so should be easy to replicate in fit. How does the quality of MTM sources like Luxire, My Tailor, and Proper cloth compare to Rugby?

Also, are there any reasonable dress pants and trousers out there that have a slim fit (I actually thought of Rugby as too slim) with high quality fabric and construction for around $150?
Where are you getting this information? The extra slim-fit shirts are far from billowy. I'm fairly skinny, and I actually wish they'd let them out a bit. Same for the sweaters. For the last few years, I've bought mine almost exclusively from Brooks Brothers. I especially like the merino crewnecks. Everything else on the market pales in comparison. Not a fan of their polos, and I can't recommend their pants, as I have no first-hand experience with them.

surrender

Reaction score
As a basis for comparison: I recently had to donate a bunch of Brooks Brothers ESF size 14.5 oxfords because I put on weight (muscle, I swear) and they were skin-tight in the chest and stomach, while my size S Band of Outsiders shirts still fit, albeit a bit snugly in the chest. YMMV, of course.

White Lotus

Reaction score

Depends. What is your height & weight?

I thought so too after trying out BB ESF Small. It was pretty baggy. I bought BB ESF X-small and it fits my frame perfectly. I am 5'7 ~147lbs. I had experience with RL Rugby as well. I was a size small in their flannels. Rugby size small shirts = BB ESF Extra small. Rugby is slightly slimmer and longer.

Last edited:

ajsmit11

Reaction score
Depends. What is your height & weight?

I thought so too after trying out BB ESF Small. It was pretty baggy. I bought BB ESF X-small and it fits my frame perfectly. I am 5'7 ~147lbs. I had experience with RL Rugby as well. I was a size small in their flannels. Rugby size small shirts = BB ESF Extra small. Rugby is slightly slimmer and longer.
Really? I wear BB ESF 15.5/34 and medium, but I wear almost all smalls in shirts from Rugby and a medium in their sweaters. Hmmm.

Last edited:

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Things I've found that have/haven't worked so far.

Scotch and Soda has pretty slim fitting button downs, but hard to tug in, and wierd buttons.

Vineyard Vines shorts are great, a little on the big side, Polo RL shorts work fine for the most part.

RLBL 36R is not the same as Rugby RL 36R, but light tailoring makes it work, armholes are low and wider than rugby's, I like the high and narrow armholes on Rugby

Just ordered J Press York St Cricket Sweater in a sz Small, they tell me it's 18" chest, we'll see soon enough....

I'm afraid of GANT/Rugger, people give me mixed reviews. a Size 36R/ XS in rugby should be what size in GANT, 46? I'm afraid they say it's that size but it ends up being bigger than expected, and that the quality isn't on par for the price.

BB Red Fleece has some good fits for button downs, but the top button below the collor button is a little too low for me, but negligible if wearing a tie. Red Fleece has fun belts and what not that you could mistake for something Rugby or PRL might've done..

I like Korean brand Hazzy's, wish they'd sell here, although I'd rather not go for them, the stuff seems marketable similar to Rugby, and guessing they run small, but not much else going on there. (it was more Rugby-ish a year ago, now that I inspect their site, it doesn't seem that amazing as before)

So I'm caught i- between what my next move will be, currently unsure if I'll be looking for a brand and sticking to it, or will I start picking from here/there and create ensembles that way. I used to tend to buy a whole 'look' for the most part.

Club Monaco seems like a decent alternative, but I always feel like I'm in an upscale Banana Republic in one of those, big turn off.

I've said a lot of money not buying clothes from Rugby though, I guess that's one good thing...

Last edited:

ajsmit11

Reaction score
I'm afraid of GANT/Rugger, people give me mixed reviews. a Size 36R/ XS in rugby should be what size in GANT, 46? I'm afraid they say it's that size but it ends up being bigger than expected, and that the quality isn't on par for the price.
Have you tried Rugger's Hugger fit OCBD? It fits a lot like Rugby's, maybe even a bit slimmer with higher armholes

Last edited:

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have you tried Rugger's Hugger fit OCBD? It fits a lot like Rugby's, maybe even a bit slimmer with higher armholes

I might have to give it a shot, suggesting to just order the same size as Rugby? XS/14.5? I was really more concerned about their tailored offerings since I'm clearly at a loss in that arena, BB will never quite fit me without a good amount of tailoring. Rugby in 36R had extremely minimal to no tailoring for it to fit me. It's a good thing I have like 4 suits and 7 or so sportcoats/blazers from them. Maybe I don't need more haha..no I do....i do..

But in all seriousness, I'll give rugger hugger fit a try the next time I see something I like, will cross my fingers.

Last edited:

xxxamazexxx

Reaction score
Nothing. There's no replacement for Rugby. I'm in the same situation and the best I can do is go on eBay.

If you want close alternatives, they are dime a dozen. Polo's shirts and pants are pretty similar to Rugby's except for the fit and the pony logo. J.Crew occasionally has preppy-looking sweaters and jackets. BB and J Press offer similar styles, but quality is all over the place.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads