• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rugby polos

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not bad but I personally prefer more effiminate texture on my skin if that makes sense.

blush.gif

chronic

Reaction score
I prefer the long-sleeve ones w/ stripes for the fall. But that's just me.

hi-val

Reaction score
They're a fine accessory, better if they aren't plastered with A&F logos and stuff. I think they're nice worn over something else too. I've seen a blue shirt + red tie underneath a long-sleeve rugby shirt pulled off to great effect.

Rugby shirts are definitely part of a "look", and as such I'd be careful about what else I paired it with to balance the outfit and not look like someone wearing highschool clothes.

TheDroog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kidtwist91
Hey guys... what do you all think of rugby style polos during spring/summer? I have my eye on this one as it is on sale.

-KT

I like them; in my opinion they're just a slight variation on regular polos. So if you like polos, you'll like short sleeved rugbys. If you're on the thinner/athletic side, try to find a slim-fit version like the J.Crew one you have your eye on. About 5-6 years ago, before J.Crew started offering slim fits, I bought a short sleeve rugby from them. Nice thick cloth, rubber buttons, great look, but it was baggy around the chest.

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are not variations on a polo. They are specifically designed for the game of rugby, and calling them rugby polos makes no sense. Polos are for polo - rugby jerseys (or rugby shirts) are for rugger.
Get a shirt from CCC, Barbarian, Gilbert...even Adidas. At least someone who produces actual rugby gear and not just fashion imitations. They tend to have more classic designs and better construction anyway. That JCrew looks fine in terms of look (it has the traditional collar, reinforced placket and rubber buttons) and is a good deal for the sale price, though that awkward sailboat patch looks a bit strange...

Concepts_BLC

Reaction score
The Polo Rugby Flagship store on Newbury St in Boston has just about every type of rugby you could imagine. I am a big fan of the Polo Rugby's.

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

hustlenflo22

Reaction score
The Rugby line, branch of Polo Ralph Lauren, is a little too patch-worky for me, verrrrrry over the top old-school preppy, but à chaqu'un son truc

Oxnard

Reaction score
I would say that their slim fits are pretty true to size, do not size down one. I'm a medium with everything pretty much and I got a medium l/s polo from Canterbury, and while it was pretty slim through the arms and torso, the main thing is that it was almost too short. After getting some other items from them this is definitely a reoccuring trend i've noticed on them, overall the polos are pretty short in length. Point being, for Tiecollector, I would advise ordering your regular size.

jkennett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
For a slim fit should I still size down one?
You'd probably prefer the fit on a sized down shirt. I need to dig around and find my shirt to verify. I have the rugby in long sleeve, and I don't recall it being extremely close fitting. In fact.. I just remembered that I have a medium, and normally wear a large t-shirt, so... I'd def. size down. haha... damn! just saw the opposite said above. well... my shirt is a rugby shirt, not a polo, and it doesn't say anything about being slimfit... so, that may be the difference.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered a rugby from Polo in the custom fit in a medium and, like everything, had to have the sides tapered. The medium in custom fit fits quite nicely after tailoring. I guess there is only one way to find out. If they have a return policy I will probably try both.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads