1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Rudolf Scheer & Sohne

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Eustace Tilley, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

I'll be right outside Vienna for a wedding in April and was thinking of paying a visit to Scheer. They have an impressive reputation (brick-n-mortar not just an ireputation).

The shoes are fairly expensive though (3,000 euros) - would anyone have experience with this firm and, better yet, some pictures (I've only seen one to date on centipede's website).

2. Kuro

Kuro Senior member

My money is on Chikor.

3. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

fritzl?

You should also post this on LL, some people there have some Vienna experience.

4. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

Here is their web-site: http://www.scheer.at/ I have been inside the shop and talked to Marcus Scheer (the current MD). The premises have something of a monastery or church about them, all dimly lit and everything is spoken in hushed voices. On the ground floor you find the shoes and lasts of previous customers, strangely enough all emperors, kings, politicians. I could see no representatives of the arts: no Freud, Mahler, Karajan, no Hedwig Bleibtreu, Ernst Deutsch or Raoul Aslan (famous actors of the ‘Burgtheater’). Joie de vivre (in German: 'Lebensfreude') is obviously not their forte. Scheer (established 1816) must be the oldest bespoke shoemaker in the world, still run by members of the founding family.

5. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

On the ground floor
    you find the shoes and lasts of previous customers, strangely enough all emperors, kings, politicians. I could see no representatives of the arts:
    no Freud, Mahler, Karajan, no Hedwig Bleibtreu, Ernst Deutsch or Raoul Aslan (famous actors of the "˜Burgtheater').

How about Falco or Reinhard Fendrich? Do they have Sissi's last?

6. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

Lifetime complimentary recrafting, I believe, and if true, it would seem to dull the pain of the price substantially.

Lucky bastard.

- B

7. Sebastian

Sebastian Senior member

Lifetime complimentary recrafting, I believe, and if true, it would seem to dull the pain of the price substantially.

Lucky bastard.

- B

Lifelong service of any kind.

Recrafting, polishing etc.
    If you are in Vienna, you could take your shoes for a polishing service to Scheer once a week.

A friend of mine is a customer and owns several pairs.

I can't tell, if the 3000 Euro price is entirely justified, but after all I've heard, Scheer is a great shoemaker and the service is outstanding.

Surely this is only true once you ARE actually a customer. They don't need new ones and they sometimes let you feel that...

8. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

They don't need new ones and they sometimes let you feel that...

My like from afar is turning into love from afar.

- B

9. Cornellian

Cornellian Senior member

I'm a Balint customer, and have never tried Scheer. Their shoes look excellent from the window though (B-S is correct, the store has a church like feel). I went with Balint because the price was about a third less, and they provided excellent customer service. They also had the right attitude towards fit (for me).

Certainly though, you can't go wrong. Seems like a great product.

10. Eustace Tilley

Thank you all. I don't have an LL account but I'll do an archive search there.

Apart from the website pics, and the sole pair on centipede's site, has anyone seen any other pics on the internets?

11. Cornellian

Cornellian Senior member

Thank you all. I don't have an LL account but I'll do an archive search there.

Apart from the website pics, and the sole pair on centipede's site, has anyone seen any other pics on the internets?

If I can help you in any way (I'm about an hour from Vienna and visit often), let me know.

I don't recall seeing any other pics though, and don't know of anyone who has a pair. I bet Fritzl has access to some German p0rn sites with pictures... Calling Fritzl!!

12. Eustace Tilley

If I can help you in any way (I'm about an hour from Vienna and visit often), let me know.

I don't recall seeing any other pics though, and don't know of anyone who has a pair. I bet Fritzl has access to some German p0rn sites with pictures... Calling Fritzl!!

Thank you - I appreciate the offer. I shall pm you with any questions as I get closer to the date of departure.

13. RJman

German p0rn sites ...
    [​IMG] Don't go there!!!!

14. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG] Don't go there!!!!

You mean you don't like to see women eat shit?

15. RJman

You mean you don't like to see women eat shit?

I've never been to Atlanta.

16. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

Here is their web-site:

http://www.scheer.at/

I have been inside the shop and talked to Marcus Scheer (the current MD).

The premises have something of a monastery or church about them, all dimly lit and everything is spoken in hushed voices. On the ground floor
    you find the shoes and lasts of previous customers, strangely enough all emperors, kings, politicians. I could see no representatives of the arts:
    no Freud, Mahler, Karajan, no Hedwig Bleibtreu, Ernst Deutsch or Raoul Aslan (famous actors of the "˜Burgtheater').

Joie de vivre (in German: 'Lebensfreude') is obviously not their forte.

Scheer (established 1816) must be the oldest bespoke shoemaker in the world, still run by members of the founding family.

Seems like they like their fun too. If I could get to Wien often enough to make it worth while, I'd like to give them a try- their shoes have a very nice shape to them.

17. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Isn't John Lobb London still family run?

18. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Senior member

The premises have something of a monastery or church about them, all dimly lit and everything is spoken in hushed voices.

Mausoleum is another term that comes to mind. Here's a picture of Scheer:
    [​IMG]

19. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

Isn't John Lobb London still family run?

It is, but the company is some fifty years younger than Scheer.

Henry Maxwell can trace their history back to 1750, but the firm has had numerous owners since.

20. Sator

Sator Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One day I will order from them.