Rudimentary (black) shoe quesion.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JonnyD, Mar 19, 2006.

1. JonnyD

JonnyD Member

Hello all. I'm a new poster who began consulting the forum just before The Crash- everyone seems very cool and helpful! I'm in need of a black balmoral shoe (I own 1 brown dress and 0 black). My budget is ~$300.00, and I'm looking to wear the shoes with suits or dark trousers. For many years. I've found these two Allen-Edmonds models at Nordstrom:

http://store.nordstrom.com/product/p...tyleID=2766604

http://store.nordstrom.com/product/p...tyleID=2873240

Anyone have an opinion or model/brand suggestions for a good basic shoe? If I needed to wear the shoes with a formal (tuxedo jacket) getup on infrequent occasion should I stick to plain cap-toes? Making the most out of this purchase is my goal.

Thanks!
    Jon

2. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I like both of the models that you link to, and given your budget, you could do far worse than to buy an Allen-Edmonds shoe. However, if you want to be able to wear these shoes with a tuxedo, I would urge you to do for a plain-toe balmoral model, such as these from Alden:

[​IMG]

3. JonnyD

JonnyD Member

Thank you. A store near me stocks that model; and if a starlet invites me to the Oscars next year I will be covered.

4. jml90

jml90 Senior member

Thank you. A store near me stocks that model; and if a starlet invites me to the Oscars next year I will be covered.
    Why you could just wear brouges [​IMG]

On a serious note I like the Allen Edmonds Park Avenue, Hastings, and Westgate.

5. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I have heard that Allen-Edmonds is going to introduce a plain-toe bal similar to the Alden offering in their fall lineup. Should be somewhat less expensive than its Alden counterpart.

6. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have heard that Allen-Edmonds is going to introduce a plain-toe bal similar to the Alden offering in their fall lineup. Should be somewhat less expensive than its Alden counterpart.

I like the sound of that, and would be quite tempted to pick it up.