1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Rudimentary (black) shoe quesion.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JonnyD, Mar 19, 2006.

1. JonnyD

JonnyD Member

Hello all. I'm a new poster who began consulting the forum just before The Crash- everyone seems very cool and helpful! I'm in need of a black balmoral shoe (I own 1 brown dress and 0 black). My budget is ~$300.00, and I'm looking to wear the shoes with suits or dark trousers. For many years. I've found these two Allen-Edmonds models at Nordstrom:

http://store.nordstrom.com/product/p...tyleID=2766604

http://store.nordstrom.com/product/p...tyleID=2873240

Anyone have an opinion or model/brand suggestions for a good basic shoe? If I needed to wear the shoes with a formal (tuxedo jacket) getup on infrequent occasion should I stick to plain cap-toes? Making the most out of this purchase is my goal.

Thanks!
    Jon

2. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I like both of the models that you link to, and given your budget, you could do far worse than to buy an Allen-Edmonds shoe. However, if you want to be able to wear these shoes with a tuxedo, I would urge you to do for a plain-toe balmoral model, such as these from Alden:

[​IMG]

3. JonnyD

JonnyD Member

Thank you. A store near me stocks that model; and if a starlet invites me to the Oscars next year I will be covered.

4. jml90

jml90 Senior member

Thank you. A store near me stocks that model; and if a starlet invites me to the Oscars next year I will be covered.
    Why you could just wear brouges [​IMG]

On a serious note I like the Allen Edmonds Park Avenue, Hastings, and Westgate.

5. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I have heard that Allen-Edmonds is going to introduce a plain-toe bal similar to the Alden offering in their fall lineup. Should be somewhat less expensive than its Alden counterpart.

6. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have heard that Allen-Edmonds is going to introduce a plain-toe bal similar to the Alden offering in their fall lineup. Should be somewhat less expensive than its Alden counterpart.

I like the sound of that, and would be quite tempted to pick it up.