• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rucksack for Work

AxlJack

Reaction score
Been lurking around for a bag for work. Decided on a rucksack in which I can carry my jacket, umbrella, lunch and documents, since felt a briefcase couldn't fit all that and is too dated for both my work and age.

My requirements have been:

1. Light (So no Leather)
2. Waterproof (Waxed canvas maybe?)
3. Close to being formal (just need to be able to take it to meetings (not on the back during those))
4. Can get it in the UK or EU

The only one I've been able to find that fits my needs so far is Makr
http://makr.com/farm-ruck-sack-brown

Any experiences or recos?

Last edited:

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for ***** sake man, don't do it.

get a good briefcase and at absolute worst a messenger bag.

AxlJack

Reaction score
lol i have been going through this debate for the past couple of months. I'm too small to carry a big briefcase that can fit all that, and a messenger bag hurts my shoulder......

Septimus

Reaction score
It depends on your job, but generally using a backpack for work makes you look like a dweeb (as does using a briefcase for school). A nice messenger bag could work for both.

I have trouble even picturing a backpack/rucksack that would be appropriate for taking to meeting, especially if it is not leather.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

lol i have been going through this debate for the past couple of months. I'm too small to carry a big briefcase that can fit all that, and a messenger bag hurts my shoulder......

You're pretty difficult to please then.

Wear the bookbag, but realize you're gonna appear pretty dorky

AxlJack

Reaction score
Just to give you guys some context. My workwear consists of a shirt and trousers. No Tie, Sports blazers etc.

I was gonna pull the trigger on a leather briefcase, but after thinking about it realised that (I know I'm gonna get stones thrown at me for this... and I dnt want this to turn into a debate) my dad (55+ years old) used to take a briefcase to work 20 yrs ago. Nowadays he doesnt. Even around my work there are many oldschoolers who stopped using a briefcase 6-7 yrs ago and instead use a laptop bag.

This made me come to a grave conclusion that the traditional briefcase might be replaced by a hybrid or something else.

That being said the traditional briefcase does have its place, unfortunately not in my situation.

southbound35

Reaction score

1. Get messenger bag.
2. Go to gym.

Look into Filson. There is a huge thread about the brand on this board. I believe they're available in the UK.

Last edited:

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Get the messenger bag and hold it like a briefcase instead of wearing it over your shoulder. Looks more masculine to me anyway.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Backpacks are for children.

Actually, you can get away with a backpack if it's heavy leather and you're riding a motorcycle. Otherwise you'll look like you're twelve.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brands like Tumi make back packs which are suitably styled for the modern business environment. Sitting on a desk or chair they are indistinguishable from a laptop briefcase.

Contrary to the above comments nobody is going to give you piss for using a backpack. That said a briefcase is a more classic option. Forget about messenger bags entirely. They are bad for your back and you will be tempted to stuff them with items you do not need.

If what you need to carry is more weight that you can carry one handed, either use a back pack or carry less.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Brands like Tumi make back packs which are suitably styled for the modern business environment. Sitting on a desk or chair they are indistinguishable from a laptop briefcase.
Contrary to the above comments nobody is going to give you piss for using a backpack. That said a briefcase is a more classic option. Forget about messenger bags entirely. They are bad for your back and you will be tempted to stuff them with items you do not need.
If what you need to carry is more weight that you can carry one handed, either use a back pack or carry less.

I'd give him piss for using a backpack.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're on the Internet. For all he knows, you are a 14-year-old girl.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Considering he's a 12 year old boy my opinion should weigh heavily with him then.

AxlJack

Reaction score

Thanks for that they do have a decent selection. Any experience on durability?

Btw thanks for turning me into a lusting 12yr old boy....

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Backpacks are for children.
Actually, you can get away with a backpack if it's heavy leather and you're riding a motorcycle. Otherwise you'll look like you're twelve.

If it's a Little Mermaid, Finding Nemo, Captain America, Transformers, Angry Birds. Avengers, Pokemon, Bob the Builder, Thomas and Friends, Pleasant Goat and Big Big Wolf,, Teletubbies, etc. backpack...yeh. definitely, and probably best avoided for work.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads