1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Rubinacci visiting NYC (May 27-29)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, May 21, 2008.

1. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

yup i cant wait to see picture's too!

I'll post pics later this week or weekend.

2. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

Do yourself a favor, either post a pic in the WAYWT thread with no mention that it's your Rubi suit or don't post anything because if you make a separate thread about it, here's how it will go:

1. You post pic
    2. Some will love it, some will go out of their way to post a crticism with the suit or your stylistic choice
    3. You put on your lawyer hat and cross examine them
    4. They then point out even more things that are "wrong" and compare your suit to a "perfect" fitting one from someone else.
    5. You can't see their argument and continue to drill down.
    6. They then start making snarky remarks about your height
    7. Thread is now on page 18

Get your suit, wear it, enjoy it and don't give a sh*t what some internet sartorialist wearing K-Mart boxers posts.

Wiser words were never spoken (on this board).

3. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

Mine get delievered tomorrow. [​IMG]

I'm waiting for two suits myself, my first from Rubinacci.

4. whnay.

I'm waiting for two suits myself, my first from Rubinacci.

Nice, what did you get?

5. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

Nice, what did you get?

Since it's my first bespoke, I went with basics: a navy nailhead and a grey sharkskin, both single breasted. I had my first and second fittings in Rome, the third fitting in London with Mariano himself. Trying on the basted navy suit was, for an incomplete garment, amazing. As much as people rave about the jackets, and justifiably so, I am embarrassed to admit that I was as equally struck by the fit of the pants. For double pleated pants, they're as slim fitting and sleek as any flat front pants I've ever had.

6. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

Nice, what did you get?

By the way, what did you get?

7. kcc

kcc Senior member

Since it's my first bespoke, I went with basics: a navy nailhead and a grey sharkskin, both single breasted. I had my first and second fittings in Rome, the third fitting in London with Mariano himself. Trying on the basted navy suit was, for an incomplete garment, amazing. As much as people rave about the jackets, and justifiably so, I am embarrassed to admit that I was as equally struck by the fit of the pants. For double pleated pants, they're as slim fitting and sleek as any flat front pants I've ever had.

Just out of curiousity, given the multiple locations did you order a draped or a lean garment? Did you, at anytime, personaly meet with your cutter?

Cheers.

8. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

yup i cant wait to see picture's too!

+1

9. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

Just out of curiousity, given the multiple locations did you order a draped or a lean garment? Did you, at anytime, personaly meet with your cutter?

Cheers.

I didn't specify, I figured I'd get the house cut, which is why I went there in the first place, and I didn't meet with the cutter. I talked to Mariano about some details, but that's about as pro-active as I was. I've not done this before and I happily deferred to his expertise and taste. I'll be in a better position to specify personal preferences next time, but I doubt there's going to be a whole lot of customization.

10. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

I didn't specify, I figured I'd get the house cut, which is why I went there in the first place, and I didn't meet with the cutter. I talked to Mariano about some details, but that's about as pro-active as I was. I've not done this before and I happily deferred to his expertise and taste. I'll be in a better position to specify personal preferences next time, but I doubt there's going to be a whole lot of customization.

I'll be really interested to see how this turns out. I strongly suspect that beyond the Milan/Naples divide, there are no pointed distinctions between 'types' of cut and most differences between samples can be explained by body shape, and, as Iammatt suggested to me, Mariano's mood on any given day.

I gave virtually no instruction to Mariano or Gennaro during any of my fittings, yet people seem to think my jacket is dramatically different from what Iammatt has.

Iammatt, are you around? This thread needs you [​IMG].

11. whnay.

I took the same approach with regards to styling and also never met with the cutter. As others have said, as good as these look in pictures (iammatt, mafoofan, etc.) they are much better looking in 3D.

For my first order I went with a 13oz. solid gray DB, 14oz. overcheck tweed SB jacket, and an 12oz. navy herringbone SB jacket.

My next order I think I'm going to go with a navy pinstripe SB and either a POW DB or gray SB.

12. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Iammatt, are you around? This thread needs you [​IMG].

I think he's busy spreading his smaller government, lower taxes rhetoric in Current Events

[​IMG]

13. mafoofan

For my first order I went with a 13oz. solid gray DB, 14oz. overcheck tweed SB jacket, and an 12oz. navy herringbone SB jacket.

My next order I think I'm going to go with a navy pinstripe SB and either a POW DB or gray SB.

Gutsy. I started with only one jacket before going into a larger order. I just got my charcoal SB suit; now I'm waiting on three SB sportcoats and a worsted flannel DB suit.

Addictive, no?

14. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

Gutsy. I started with only one jacket before going into a larger order. I just got my charcoal SB suit; now I'm waiting on three SB sportcoats and a worsted flannel DB suit.

Addictive, no?

Can we expect an update to the blog [​IMG] ?

15. mafoofan

Can we expect an update to the blog [​IMG] ?

I may take some pictures of the jacket by itself to show the workmanship, but my fiancee wants to wait until the wedding to see me in it.