1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Rubinacci "...Best Bespoke Tailor on Earth..." article

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Texasmade, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

2. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

I read a while ago that Kiton can also offer a similar service (MTM) in a few days.

3. GBR

GBR Senior member

4. vida

vida Senior member

How so?

5. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

Anyone catch the tidbit at the end where you can actually stay at Rubinacci for 7 days/6 nights while they make your suit?

I've never been to Naples but is there enough stuff to do for that long there?

6. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Yeah I saw that. makes $5500 seem like a free suit.

7. gs77

gs77 Senior member

Of course there is. Napoli is a beautiful city, with a lot of... ahem... character. Pompeii is near by and I could spend 7 days only there. Amalfi coast, Capri and so on...

1 person likes this.
  8. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Interesting to see a suit cut by Andrea. I think he cut some things when Gennaro was still at the company, but as far as I know, this is one of the few photos of a post-Gennaro Rubi suit.

The photo at the end makes the lapels look slightly Tautz-ish, but David showed me a head-on photo yesterday. Lapel is more of a gentle peak. The shoulders also look slightly extended without the droop that sometimes happens on softer jackets.

Suit looks nice.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  9. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

For some reason or another, I personally do not care for the finished product. Could be the angle though.

[​IMG]

10. SartodiNapoli

SartodiNapoli Senior member

All those articles on main media are pure trash.

11. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

It's a cute article that was an easy 5 minute read with nice pictures. I'm not sure why guys like @GBR and @SartodiNapoli insist on hating articles like this. It's a lifestyle article in Bloomberg with nice pictures. it's a bit about tailoring, a lot about an escapist fantasy "Instead of being stuck on the A train back to Astoria. I could be eating linguine vongole and sipping espressos and discussing tailoring while my suit gets made at Rubinacci."

Anyone who takes umbrage at an article like this, just wants to hate things. Is it a prize winning, article? No. But it's not meant to be. It's a slightly informative, fairly well written, travel memoir. Resenting it doesn't make you seem smart or insightful or more clear-minded than other people. It simply suggests that there is very little joy and humor in your lives.

Incidentally, the writer often does not write the title of an article, FTW. Those are invariably written to get clicks by an editor.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    6 people like this.
  12. LA Guy

Agreed on the suit. It does look a bit more angular than a lot of jackets I've seen from Rubinacci, but definitely a very soft look. I like it. Would buy if I weren't saving that money for a new leather jacket and/or needed a suit for my winters in Capri.

13. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

It does look a little more angular than whnay and foo's stuff, but it doesn't look too different from iammatt's. A little hard to tell though cause the Bloomberg photo is at an angle and David is far away.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  14. LA Guy

It could be the photo, in either case. The stuff that I've seen of Matt's, in person, has a pronounced softness and roundness in the shoulders. I really think that judging anything from Internet photos is a bit of a mistake, not because it's impossible to capture a soft silhouette on line in a flattering way, but because it's much harder to do than to capture a flattering ultra masculine, broad-shouldered and small-waisted, image, so there is a tendency for people to select those to post online.

1 person likes this.
  15. SartodiNapoli

GBR is just a passive agressive disordered, he just hates himself.

I just dislike articles on main media that got no idea about tailoring or those usuals: 10 tricks to dress better. trick 1 red socks on court. Trick 2 black shirt always work etc. trick 3: on your black shirt, use a white tie. 4: Armani is the best.

1 person likes this.
  16. LA Guy

That article does not purport to be about the intricacies of tailoring, though, nor does it pretend to give any advice. It's a travel article wrapped up in a story about the author's experience at a well known tailoring house, in a city well known for it's good food and climate.

A writer does not need to have extensive experience or expertise in any specific subject to write an enjoyable article of this type, nor does a reader need any of the same to enjoy the article. Sometimes, it's all just for fun.

Incidentally, listicles are popular for a very obvious reason. They provide a framework for the reader to engage with the article. something like: "I agree with number 1-2, but disagree with 3. And 4 and 5? C'mon, seriously?" Yes, they are not though provoking articles, for the most part. They are brain candy. But again, nothing really worth the energy to hate.

1 person likes this.
  17. SartodiNapoli

I admit I didn´t click on wait as 99,9 of those are what I described since just the tittle is pure rubish.

Maybe Did I err on this one?

18. LA Guy

I think that it's usually a good idea to read the article before opining on it.

2 people like this.
  19. SartodiNapoli

You got me:[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

20. gs77

gs77 Senior member

I just took a walk with my wife, and while chatting o mentioned this article and how you can get a suit by Rubinacci and stay for 7 days in Napoli etc. And she said: "why don't you do it?". Like, hey we could go stay 7 days in Napoli, then you get that suit we could go visit Capri or something for additional few days....
    Hehehe, I might nurture this idea ;)