• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rubbers addon on soles

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course, I like the squeaking sound of my bare leather soles when I walk around my office on my hal-inch deep wool carpet...
tounge.gif
However, for someone who happen to _walk_ to work, I'm more confident with a piece of rubber (topy) glued on my soles : especially when it rains. What's your take ? Does it really shortent the lifespan of shoes ? .luc

alchimiste

Reaction score
I wonder whether I should do this to my new shoes. But plastic layers are only good for wimpy rain. I'd need pilotis. So I wear cheap shoes outside and change when I get to my office. Yesterday morning when it started raining I was happy I wasn't wearing expensive leather-soled shoes.

Mathieu

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is good to have a couple of pairs with non-slip Topy or Vibram added for bad weather. I also prefer it when I am on business trip as I do a lot of walking on all kinds of surfaces. It gives me better grip and is easily replaced when worn.

My better leather-soled shoes are generally reserved for when I am in my home city, on dry days. I love both types for the different occasions that they are needed to serve.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's funny you mention this. I just started working, so I'm wearing shoes with leather soles everyday. I'm convinced that I'm going to break a hip. If it weren't for my cat-like reflexes, I think I'd end up on my back at least 3x week. Still, I can't stomach the thought of adding rubber to my 'nice' shoes. Maybe I'll change my mind after I go into traction for the first time...

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, in the metro in paris, there are some places where I wear brand new leather soled shoes and I feel like I'm doing some bad moonwalk type of dancing while I walk.

.luc

BjornH

Reaction score
I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, it sort of defeats the purpose of a leather sole to stick a piece of rubber under it. On the other hand, when time comes to hand over your worn leather soled shoes to a heavy handed cobbler you'll wish that you'd put rubber soles on. Furthermore, Stockholm is not a nice place to wear leather soles outside May to October. The rest of the time, it's covered either in snow or thick layer of gravel and sand and neither is healthy for the shoes or the wearer.

profjmb

Reaction score
I used to resist rubber add ons to my leather soles, but I have recently given in and am happy. No one can tell, except that your step isn't as loud as it used to be. Much more comfortable to walk on. Lasts much longer. My nice shoes still look great.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads