• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rubber topsoles

MPS

Reaction score
Someone has recommended that I have rubber topsoles put on some of my leather soled shoes in order to make them last longer. Can anyone think of a reason not to have this done?

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've had this done on a pair of dress boots and it will make the shoes last longer and give you better traction, especially in wet weather. the only downside is that it will make your shoes less dressy, so this must be considered.

it seems to me that every time i have someone else shine my shoes, they inevitably recommend that i have them install these rubber topsoles. this may be a major source of income for shoe repairers, but in my experience, it is worth it. btw, i think i paid between 30 and 40 dollars for this.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That is what I picked up from a German web site. It is a different matter altogether if the rubber sole is part of the original design; then the tensions will be adjusted accordingly. I might consider it for an old run-about pair, but certainly not for a decent pair of shoes:

The addition of a protective sole changes the construction of the shoe and the tension on the uppers when rolling the sole. The additionally applied rubber sole would have to take the longest stretch when bending the foot (rolling the sole), although it does not. Compare this with the outside wheels of a car, going into a curve. These wheels will have to drive the largest distance. Since the sole hardly stretches, it will add rigidity to the bottom of the shoe and the coordination of the shoe's components will no longer exist. In a double soled, welted shoe, the total of the soles (inner, middle and outer sole) can be as much as one inch. The additional increase in the tension on the upper parts may well cause tearing of the uppers and the welt stitching.

Many manufacturers (Church and Green for example) refuse to repair shoes altered this way and no manufacturer would accept guarantees or complaints or would be willing to correct defects.

My View

Reaction score
I have about half my shoes added with a non-slip rubber sole. I have read instructions from the respective manufacturers not to do so, but walking (and slipping) in wet weather without that extra bit of friction is not fun. Moreover, I don't notice any difference in wearing comfort in shoes with and without add-on rubber soles (some people have said that because leather breathes, adding a rubber sole will prevent this "breathing" and will result in wetter feet at the end of the day).

Can someone else comment?

DandySF

Reaction score
The addition of a thin rubber sole to a new pair of shoes will increase the life of a leather sole immeasurably.  However, this very practical measure comes with two costs.  First, the acoustic aspect of a leather sole hitting the floor is completely lost when the rubber is applied.  Second, unless the rubber is applied expertly, the proflile of the shoe's edge may be altered.  

I most recently had the soles added to a pair of Fratelli Peluso loafers I purchased at Saks.  They've performed very well.  In years past I've also had the soles applied to thin-soled Ferragamo loafers.  Lately I've been buying shoes that come with the rubber sole.  Allen Edmonds has a number of shoes with this feature, although I do miss the authoritative sound a leather soled shoe makes.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When these rubber soles are added to the leather is the original sole still vivible? Also how is this process done?

Please forgive me for I am not familiar with this particular practice. Thank you.

MPS

Reaction score
The topsoles are rubber half-soles that are simply glued onto the leather sole, thus obscuring the front half of the latter.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Also how is this process done? I am not familiar with this particular practice.
We are talking about thin rubber soles (4mm; 1/8"), which get glued, on top (or underneath, depending, literally, on your viewpoint) of the existing leather soles. The original soles stay in place.

It has to be done with either new or relatively little worn shoes, because, once the soles are really worn down, you would need more drastic surgery: remove old soles, fix new ones.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads