• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RTW Tailored Clothes - Please Critique

KaiserSose

Reaction score
Okay.. first off, I promise this will be the last of these threads from me in a while.. If something comes to mind concerning anything, please let me know! I'm going to use your comments to apply similar alterations to all of my RTW shirts. Both of the shirts have been darted with the sleeves adjusted. The first shirt's sleeves are still half an inch to long to account for laundry shrinkage.

With the shirts I'm primarily concerned that they seem too loose from the armhole down to half way through my belly. I thought the darting would fix that, but perhaps I was confused with what darting accomplished. Is there any other alteration that could fix this? Does it need to be fixed?

With the pants I'm concerned that there might be too much break..and a little too tight in the thighs.. I dont know.. maybe at this point i'm looking for imperfections.

oh.. and i know my neck looks fat, lol.. I'm decently thin & muscular but it always looks god awful in photos.

Shirt 1

005.jpg

006.jpg

Shirt 2

002.jpg

003.jpg

Pants

009.jpg

007.jpg

GucciKid

Reaction score
I think the arms on both shirts are too baggy, especially on the first shirt.

They both also look a bit too big in the chest/waist...nothing horrible but a bit billowy.

That's my take.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Billowy at the armholes and biceps ( not horribly so) and the pants look fine. All in all nice looking.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the shirt looks good for the most part- billowy sleeves but that's one way to do it. I prefer tighter arm holes.

They may be just a tad long.

The first pair of pants are a bit long- the second look better on you. As far as thigh tightness- it's your preference. Doesn't look bad in the pics.

KaiserSose

Reaction score
Thanks all! Much appreciated!

I agree about the sleeves, but I'm not sure if it's worth it to me to get them cut slimmer.

The first pants are certainly long and something I will get fixed shortly (RTW BB with no alterations, not meant for the critique yet).

As far as the shirts go, what should I tell the tailor to do as far as tightening up the area around the armholes... "take it in some around the armholes down throughout the body".. can this be accomplished if darts have already been put in?

JimInSoCalif

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KaiserSose
Thanks all! Much appreciated!

I agree about the sleeves, but I'm not sure if it's worth it to me to get them cut slimmer.

The first pants are certainly long and something I will get fixed shortly (RTW BB with no alterations, not meant for the critique yet).

As far as the shirts go, what should I tell the tailor to do as far as tightening up the area around the armholes... "take it in some around the armholes down throughout the body".. can this be accomplished if darts have already been put in?

I never tell a tailor how to fix a problem. I explain the problem to him and expect that he knows how to fix it - that is why he is a tailor and I am not. The same thing applies to my doctor, dentist, and auto mechanic. I might ask him how he plans to fix a problem however.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The first shirt's sleeves are still half an inch to long to account for laundry shrinkage.
They don't look too long to me. Perhaps it's just the photo.

If you care enough to ask the question and to go to the trouble of taking and posting pix, then you should care enough to get the sleeves taken in. It doesn't cost much to make a good shirt great.

Originally Posted by JimInSoCalif
I never tell a tailor how to fix a problem... I might ask him how he plans to fix a problem however.
+1 If nothing else, I always ask if a particular alteration is reversible in case I don't like it. Apart from that, though, I let the man do his work however he sees fit. (Pardon the pun.)

P.S. Great screen name, KS.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads