• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RTW summer suits! Where are you?

kdaust

Reaction score
As my fellow southern hemispherians and I cruise through the first few days of summer, it struck me as strange that noone appears to market summer suits in Australia. Sure I hear the occasional 'cool wool' phrase being mentioned, but why do I come up empty handed when I search for suits that wont be sweltering in the summer heat. Hell, I'd be happy with one I can walk to work in without looking like I just stepped out of a sauna.

Sure, I understand that when my weekly disposable income is enough to facilitate saving for a bespoke / MTM suit I'll have a range of summer fabrics to look forward to.

But in the mean time why can't RTW suit makers in warm climates get with the program?

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kdaust
But in the mean time why can't RTW suit makers in warm climates get with the program?

Most RTW suit makers are in the Northern hemisphere. When it's winter there, the winter collection is everywhere. If it makes you feel better, I've seen stores selling heavy Brioni overcoats in Dubai.
lol8[1].gif

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Absolutely shocking!

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kdaust
As my fellow southern hemispherians and I cruise through the first few days of summer, it struck me as strange that noone appears to market summer suits in Australia. Sure I hear the occasional 'cool wool' phrase being mentioned, but why do I come up empty handed when I search for suits that wont be sweltering in the summer heat. Hell, I'd be happy with one I can walk to work in without looking like I just stepped out of a sauna.

Sure, I understand that when my weekly disposable income is enough to facilitate saving for a bespoke / MTM suit I'll have a range of summer fabrics to look forward to.

The answer is simple - suits (or even 'fashion') are simply not a part of our national psyche. Suit-wise, Australia is sartorial wasteland for the greater part - one only need walk through the CBDs of Syndey or Melbourne at lunchtime should one need any confirmation. A panoply of ill-fitting suits and absolutely horrible 'Aladdin' shoes.

It just makes no sense for RTW manufacturers to bring out 'pure' summer lines when the market simply isn't there - instead, they go for 'summer wool', which is wearable throughout the year.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
Most RTW suit makers are in the Northern hemisphere. When it's winter there, the winter collection is everywhere. If it makes you feel better, I've seen stores selling heavy Brioni overcoats in Dubai.
lol8[1].gif

If you've been to Australia, you'd know that any 'international' label here merely imports the leftovers from spring/summer seasons from countries in the northern hemisphere. Our current 'in' looks as seen in magazines and the like are exactly staggered 6 months from you fellows in the northern hemisphere. For example, the PRL in my locale has the all the hacking jackets from the USA spring/summer '08 season stocked. In other words, the savvy Australian fashionista can anticipate what the next 'look' for the next season will be, and make overseas purchases accordingly.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
How dare you ruin a good rant with your "facts"
smile.gif

kdaust

Reaction score
Yeah, I realise all the above.

And I have admired Casa Adamo on more than a few trips to Leichardt. And read your opinions of Sam Disano As a recent grad though, its just not an option at the moment.

More of a rant than a topic for discussion I guess.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
The answer is simple - suits (or even 'fashion') are simply not a part of our national psyche. Suit-wise, Australia is sartorial wasteland for the greater part - one only need walk through the CBDs of Syndey or Melbourne at lunchtime should one need any confirmation. A panoply of ill-fitting suits and absolutely horrible 'Aladdin' shoes.

It just makes no sense for RTW manufacturers to bring out 'pure' summer lines when the market simply isn't there - instead, they go for 'summer wool', which is wearable throughout the year.

- mmm, I have travelled globally extensively & except for the minority it is the same everywhere.. Sure you get high lights in major cities but anywhere with a mall culture or access to MTV is pretty much the same.
- I'm from Sydney & I see enough well dressed people (where I frequent) per capita as any other major international destination.

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
- mmm, I have travelled globally extensively & except for the minority it is the same everywhere.. Sure you get high lights in major cities but anywhere with a mall culture or access to MTV is pretty much the same.
- I'm from Sydney & I see enough well dressed people (where I frequent) per capita as any other major international destination.

ABC's (Australian) Lateline had some stories from Naples on over the last two nights and the locals were not any better dressed than what I've seen in Sydney. So, as PG has said, you get highlights, but for the most part we as Australians aren't that bad: the whole world sucks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads