• We are thrilled to welcome Capra Leather to the Styleforum family of official Affiliate Vendors.They are a hand crafted, made to order leather goods family company. Their products have unique designs with a aesthetic that blend minimalism, tradition and functionality. Focused on sustainability they offer a lifetime warranty on every piece.

Give Capra a warm welcome on their Official Affiliate Thread

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

RTW suits with shorter than average sleeves

Casaubon

Reaction score
Good people of Styleforum, can you recommend RTW brands for suits that, as the title says, have slightly shorter sleeves than usual on average? My arms being relatively short, I have to shorten the sleeves on every jacket that I get to an ideal length of about 59cm. The problem is that since a few months ago there are no proper tailors in my town that do corrections, just ones that make MTM and bespoke clothing. That means that I can only turn to the alteration stores, which shouldn't be a problem for such a minor intervention, but none of them (and I called about a dozen) have the specialized machine that can make fake buttonholes. Since the sleeves are usually shortened so much that buttons have to be moved, I ended up without buttonholes a few times. Other than asking for shortening from the sleeve head, which I'd rather avoid, my only option is buying something that already comes shorter than usual. I wear a size 36/38, the jacket length ideally around 74cm. So, are there any such brands?

St1X

Reaction score
Suitsupply and S&M have short sizes. However they come with a shorter jackets.
P.S. Regular sewing machines can do fake buttonholes

Casaubon

Reaction score
As I said, shorter jackets are not going to work for me. But I can't believe I should take the MTM route just for wanting normal looking sleeves. As for the sewing machines, that seems plausible, but I actually did phone about a dozen different shops and they gave me the exact same answer. I don't know, maybe it's not worth the effort to them, alterations here are quite cheap.

coloRLOw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm also in size 36/38 w/ short arm. In my experience, Sartorio occasionally makes some short arm jackets, but still a bit longer than 59cm

chrfi

Reaction score
I once had a alternation store shorten sleeved of a jacket, not moving the buttonholes so they were right at the edge of the sleeve. Hated that look and never wore that jacket... I''ve ended up getting MTM jackets.

Casaubon

Reaction score
i'm also in size 36/38 w/ short arm. In my experience, Sartorio occasionally makes some short arm jackets, but still a bit longer than 59cm
Thanks for the tip. But from what I saw, Sartorio jackets come without the buttons. If I could find a tailor who is competent enough to cut surgeon's cuffs, then I would also have one competent to sew fake buttonholes and wouldn't have to go through all the trouble.

I once had a alternation store shorten sleeved of a jacket, not moving the buttonholes so they were right at the edge of the sleeve. Hated that look and never wore that jacket... I''ve ended up getting MTM jackets.
That happened to me once as well, then I took the jacket to another place to have the buttons moved only to end up without the buttonholes. I can't believe I have to consider going MTM for this.

Featured Sponsor

What time of the year do you spend the most money on clothes?

• Spring

• Summer

• Fall

• Winter

• No difference

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr.DealSeeker