1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

RTW shoe last comparison thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kolecho, Apr 11, 2008.

1. jjl5000

jjl5000 Senior member

Thanks, now tor some trickers or sargents we all know you have ...
    Compared to the 606 or 888 would do nicely imo.

Here's an Alfred Sargent on the 87 last in 'F' alongside the Tricker's 1829 last (4537) in a '5':

[​IMG]

Comparative shots with the 888 & 606 to follow.

2. citoyen

citoyen Senior member

Those are eerily similar. Take away the medallion and a color-blind guy might think you had a pair.

i strongly disagree on that.
    the eg has a much broader toe/forefoot and it is less curve-shaped in the transition of middlefoot to forefoot.

and besides the toeshape when you compare the u throats the g&g throat looks more like a humerus head whereas the eg resembles more of an "u". [​IMG]

both look good, but i like the 888 better.

citoyen

3. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Keep in mind that pics with the shoes pointing 'up' are not much use for comparison as the angle distorts the toe shape. Also, sizes should be noted as that affects overall shape.

4. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

For my money, the G&G chisel beats the 888.

5. jjl5000

jjl5000 Senior member

EG 606 'F' & Tricker's 4537 '5':

[​IMG]

C&J 337 'E' & G&G MH71 'F':

[​IMG]

6. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

Santoni FAM (last number?) vs EG 606.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Which is EG 606?

7. benjamin831

benjamin831 Senior member

C&J 348 and EG 82 are two of the most beautiful lasts out there.

8. speedster.8

speedster.8 Senior member

Which is EG 606?
    Updated

9. hangten

hangten Senior member

OK, I finally get to add something useful. Hopefully the pics aren't too bad:

Lobb 8695 vs Martegani 42 last
    [​IMG]

Lobb 8695 vs Vass 3636
    [​IMG]

Martegani 42 vs Martegani 3B
    [​IMG]

Lobb 8695 vs Lobb 7000
    [​IMG]

EG 808 vs Martegani 3B
    [​IMG]

10. TKDKid

TKDKid Senior member

Now for some comparative shots of a Stuarts Choice (Grenson MP) & EG or C&J ...

Grenson 92 (UK 6F) vs C&J 337 (UK 6E):

[​IMG]

Grenson 91 (UK 6F) vs Stuart's Choice 91 (US 7D -> UK 6.5E):

[​IMG]

C&J 238 (UK 6E) vs C&J 337 (UK 6E):

[​IMG]

11. speedster.8

speedster.8 Senior member

Thanks a lott.

Really appreciated the
    Lobb 8695 vs Lobb 7000
    Grenson 92 vs C&J 337
    EG 606 'F' & Tricker's 4537 '5'

12. kryn13

kryn13 Senior member

Martegani 75 last vs. the 46

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    75 - Siena
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

Allen Edmonds Nr 5 vs Edward Green 202:

[​IMG]

Digging up this thread to add another side-by-side shot: EG Chelsea 202 last size 8.5/9D on the left vs. AE Park Ave #5 last size 9D on the right.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Observations:

-The Chelsea is actually longer than the PA (strictly comparing the uppers), but EGs are known to have a welt and sole that are trimmed very close to the uppers, whereas AE are on the opposite end of the spectrum.
    -The widest point (ball of foot) is further forward on the Chelsea than the PA and it is also wider than the PA at its widest point.
    -While the #5 last is AE's longest, I consider the PA to fit very tts. Otoh, I would need an 8/8.5D on the 202, perhaps even an 8/8.5C.

14. srivats

srivats Senior member

^ PA (and its cousin the Fifth Avenue) are my favourite AEs of all time (well apart from my 2 vintage pairs).

The above picture is DEVASTATING. Cue people coming in and saying photos are '2D' and you need to see the shoe in real life to appreciate the '3D' nature of them.

15. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I'm not an AE fan in general, but that picture really shows that some AE shoes compare well with the more expensive English brands. However, what kills it for me is the huge amount of excess sole material around the edge. If AE could trim that down, this would be a killer killer shoe.

16. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

I'm not an AE fan in general, but that picture really shows that some AE shoes compare well with the more expensive English brands. However, what kills it for me is the huge amount of excess sole material around the edge. If AE could trim that down, this would be a killer killer shoe.

Fwiw, Nick V. of B. Nelson says he often sands down welts/soles on AE shoes for his customers (would love to see a pic Nick). Likely something any competent cobbler can do.

17. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I'm really glad to hear that! I was thinking of sending a pair of Aldens his way for a metal toe tap and they could use a trimming for sure!

Do you have any idea on the cost?

On edit: Does the AE shoe have a 360 degree welt? If so, you can't compare sleekness without photographing that!

18. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

On edit: Does the AE shoe have a 360 degree welt? If so, you can't compare sleekness without photographing that!

Most AEs, including the PA, have a 360 welt, resulting in a huge flat and wide heel stack. They now produce a limited number of styles on their (still fairly) new 270 welt.

19. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Ok, that's what I thought. That just kills kills kills any comparison between that EG and AE shoe. IMO a cap toe balmoral with a 360 welt is all kinds of wrong.

Maybe AE will transition this shoe to the 270 welt in future. That move and a trimmed down sole/welt would produce a winner. Anyone at AE listening?

20. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

Ok, that's what I thought. That just kills kills kills any comparison between that EG and AE shoe. IMO a cap toe balmoral with a 360 welt is all kinds of wrong.

Maybe AE will transition this shoe to the 270 welt in future. That move and a trimmed down sole/welt would produce a winner. Anyone at AE listening?

Not according to AE's CEO
    http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...87#post1037987