• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RRL fit

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
I posted this last night without realizing it was in the buying/selling forum. My bad.

--

I've seen quite a few RRL's on ebay but have heard about 47 different stories about sizing. Either you wear them for 90 days and dry clean, or you can wash them in cold water, or they "shrink to fit", or they're famously mislabeled.

I just wondered if people who actually own/wear these jeans could clear up the sizing, namely what I should be looking to get if I'm normaly a 32/32.

Just wanted a nice clean pair of jeans for a few bucks less than APC. Thanks.

gza

Reaction score
All the RRL's I've seen on ebay are either washed (distressed) or one-wash. The sizing depends on the model. I have the one-wash "Lowrise Bootcut," which is probably the screwiest in terms of sizing. It's tagged a 29x34, but it measures over 35 inches in the waist. I am normally a 32x34, and this pair fits me well (the larger waist works because the rise is a mere 9.5 inches), so I'd recommend a 29x32 for you in this cut. I can't help you with the "Slim Bootcut" or any of the other models, though.

Interestingly, the styling is incredibly similar to the 5EP Low Down Boot (or whatever they're calling it these days), and Brian SD discovered that it was the same person who designed both jeans.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of RRL slim fit, one wash. The size is 26 bit it actually measures close to 31." Whatever you buy, make sure you get the measurements.

jubei

Reaction score
I just sold my slim fits... they have a similar silhoutte to Dior Hommes though not nearly as tapered. Denim is super thick, comparable to Sugarcane.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Great, thanks for the advice. I figured something was up when I saw quite a few 26 and 27s running around. Gza, I found a 28 which according the measurements have a 32" waist. Did these shrink/stretch at all after washing? Here's the link:http://cgi.ebay.com/RALPH-LAUREN-POL...QQcmdZViewItem

gza

Reaction score
They stretched about an inch with wear. I haven't washed them yet, but I'm pretty sure they'll behave like any other sanforized denim: Washing will bring them back to their original size, and then they'll stretch out very quickly again after being worn.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
its funny... the rrls i have fit true to size. they are made in the us tho, not in japan, so they are older models.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Finally got my RRL's in. I went for the slim fit 28x32 since it had a little more leeway (I think it was measured at 32 1/2 waist) and space in case it shrinks later. Doesn't fit loosely, but I do have about an inch or so of slack around the top. Getting into them was a little interesting a first, though. I thought I'd ***** about having the leg openings being tiny but it actually goes well with the whole look and with the low shoes I wear. Go figure.

Yup, cardboard it is, though. So February 7th, watch out...

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am expecting a one-wash pair to come in. They are tagged 26 * 34, actual size is approximately 30.5 * 33.5! Talk of crazy sizing.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
I am expecting a one-wash pair to come in. They are tagged 26 * 34, actual size is approximately 30.5 * 33.5! Talk of crazy sizing.
Yeah, I don't know why they go large (26=30.5) and then small (34=33.5). Oddly enough, on my 28-32 pair, they really measure 32.5x33. Huh? Here's the before pics on RRL slim fit:
dscn3928gj1.jpg
dscn3930ji6.jpg

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After the ridiculous stretching my first 31*x32 pair took up, I sized down. A LOT. My waist is around 31-32, so I have two inches worth of stretching I'll need to do there
crazy.gif
The ones I sold (31*32) ended up sized almost 34 after a bit of wear and a soak. P.s. I really like the plain & anonymous pockets and the nice heft to the material. Those RRLs are nice.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Yeah, zero stitching to advertise the brand. The weight reminds me of a pair of diesels I got a few years back. Same color wash, just not raw. Very similar fit, too. Wonder I happened to them...

So they really stretch that much? Figured it would a little but then shrink after wash.

BTW, would you recommend soaking these now or wearing them until their baptismal wash?

Edit: Nevermind. Rookie mistake: presoak for non-sanforized.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
whodini, looks good.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Yeah, zero stitching to advertise the brand. The weight reminds me of a pair of diesels I got a few years back. Same color wash, just not raw. Very similar fit, too. Wonder I happened to them...

So they really stretch that much? Figured it would a little but then shrink after wash.

BTW, would you recommend soaking these now or wearing them until their baptismal wash?

I soaked them anyway because the seller was under the impression these would show some degree of shrinkage. Ended up being negligible on my old pair (especially compared to the super Dhalsim-from-Streetfighter-could-wear-these-jeans stretching they showed
biggrin.gif
)

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini

they are sanforized, so wear till they smell like a rotting dog.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads