• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RRL fit

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Wow that makes no sense...I stand corrected. So out of all the RRL jeans, the only non-selvage are the straight cuts which retailed for the same price as their selvage counterparts. I'll go out on a limb and say this is probably from their American line and similar to what cmf purchased in the states. They run true to size and it don't say "Made in Japan" or "Ring Spun Denim" like some of the newer pairs that clearly are selvage.
1d2b_12_sb.JPG
1b80_12_sb.JPG
smw356, I wonder if RRL lost their material source for whatever reason but kept the design and construction the same for the straight leg. Then once they got the material again, the continued on business as usual. In the photos in the link you posted, you can even tell they even stuck with the chain stitching. I also question this seller's tags. He's got a pair of slimboots with slim fit tags on them.

smw356

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Wow that makes no sense...I stand corrected. So out of all the RRL jeans, the only non-selvage are the straight cuts which retailed for the same price as their selvage counterparts. I'll go out on a limb and say this is probably from their American line and similar to what cmf purchased in the states. They run true to size and it don't say "Made in Japan" or "Ring Spun Denim" like some of the newer pairs that clearly are selvage.
1d2b_12_sb.JPG
1b80_12_sb.JPG
smw356, I wonder if RRL lost their material source for whatever reason but kept the design and construction the same for the straight leg. Then once they got the material again, the continued on business as usual. In the photos in the link you posted, you can even tell they even stuck with the chain stitching. I also question this seller's tags. He's got a pair of slimboots with slim fit tags on them.

I think its probably just the wash (which is even uglier in person than in pictures) with the sandblasted upper leg with grass stain kinda overtones to it that isnt selvage. Last time i was at a RL outlet they had 3-4 pairs that wash, all no selvage, a few of the same fit darker wash that was selvage, and a few of the hyper tapered + gay back pocket slimfits. Everything else was selvage.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I gotta check out the rrl store, what should I look for fellas I didn't know there were several types. I haven't followed any of the RRL threads can someone give their expert opinion werd up.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
It looks to me that the latest generation have some lame stitchwork on the backpockets but run true to size. Let us know the price.

Quality-wise you get a lot of bang for the buck if you can find them discounted. They're double-good if you're looking for something that takes a lot to wear out the indigo. These babies fade sloooooooooooooooooowly.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Wow that makes no sense...I stand corrected.

So out of all the RRL jeans, the only non-selvage are the straight cuts which retailed for the same price as their selvage counterparts.

I'll go out on a limb and say this is probably from their American line and similar to what cmf purchased in the states. They run true to size and it don't say "Made in Japan" or "Ring Spun Denim" like some of the newer pairs that clearly are selvage.

1d2b_12_sb.JPG
1b80_12_sb.JPG

smw356, I wonder if RRL lost their material source for whatever reason but kept the design and construction the same for the straight leg. Then once they got the material again, the continued on business as usual. In the photos in the link you posted, you can even tell they even stuck with the chain stitching.

I also question this seller's tags. He's got a pair of slimboots with slim fit tags on them.

nothing like what i purchased. mine were selvage and probably a couple years old since i found them at burlignton coat factory on clearance. not the same as any ive seen on here or ebay actually. i think mine were made before they moved production to japan.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
First wash after 6 months since they were getting a little funky. Decided to go overboard on details and photos to fully document the process so that hopefully there'll be fewer newbie questions. You'll notice a hole on the (my) right pocket and several whiter patches along the knees from the Fight Club encounter back in Sept. and not surprisingly most, if not all, of the blood and mud disappeared over time. Other than that, I wore them nearly every single day in a fairly comfortable climate meaning I hardly sweated in them. Hot soaked in a plastic bin for 30 mins with a few squirts of Dr.Bonner's to clean things up but not enough to make it sudsy. "Hot" means turning the knob for "hot" in my bathroom, filling the bin, and it being warm enough for me not to want to stick my hand in there for longer than a few seconds. Water turned a very cloudy light blue (bluer than seen in the photo) and took a few cold rinses to clean out completely. Pressed through a towel to remove excess water (tip ala Cheap). Hung to dry for a few hours then worn to reset the creases while still a little damp. Voila! Denim was still a little damp when after pics were taken but clearly the hot wash didn't do too much in terms of contrasting and very little in terms of shrinking except for the back patch. When fresh they were a little snug on me but not tight and stretched out at least 1.5"-2" in the waist and a bit in the thighs over the course of 6 months. Washing them did NOT bring them back to their original size or smaller, but did bring it back to a tighter fit that I like. I like how the whiskers around the waist/crotch are coming out, the light lap fading, and as I discovered this morning, the front knee creases. Honeycombs still aren't set but as I've seen on older/more-used RRL's, they're a motherbitch to fade. Towards the bottom I took a photo of one of the shins in an attempt to highlight the hairyness of the denim. The jeans were originally like that and because of a lack of contact/wear in the lower legs remained that way pre/post-wash, that is to say, the wash didn't exaggerate the appearance. Here's to another 6 months.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nice pics whodini:

I really like my RRLs, they're in my top 3 favorite jeans at the moment with my tailored SSDS and my Ande Whalls. They've stretched out to be a slim but somewhat comfortable fit.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Nice pics whodini:

I really like my RRLs, they're in my top 3 favorite jeans at the moment with my tailored SSDS and my Ande Whalls. They've stretched out to be a slim but somewhat comfortable fit.

Give them another month and they'll fit even better. They're very flexible.

G&H

Reaction score
Very nice whodini! I can't wait to see these when they've been washed a couple more times, they'll be amazing. By the way, where did you pick up the Dr. Bronners? Did you order online? I haven't seen Bronners in any of the major supermarkets.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I picked up a pair of RRL slim fits today on ebay. OMGZ they are tight even though the waist measurement from the seller was 2" above my waist size. They are really low rise (I guess this is the model whodini got) probably like 9" or so, and they are very slim. I can get them on (barely) but they are incredibly slim and need a lot of stretching to be a comfortable fit. Guess it will take some work and wearing them at home haha

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
man can I ever not wait to own these jeans. i thought I bought exactly the same ones as yours off ebay, whodini, but mine have a little "RRL" up in the righthand corner of the right back pocket... did you seam-rip that **** away, or are mine possibly not 1st gen Japaese? Drizzt, I know you own like 4 pairs now, do you have any intel on which generation has the little logo on the pocket and the RRL leather patch (no other backpocket stiching or horrid leather belt-patch embroidery though)? Edit: here's what I mean
3zr00gy.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads