1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

RRL fit

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jul 16, 2006.

1. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

wow, this is so confusing. finally looking to pull the trigger on two pairs of these but it looks like my reasoning is a little faulty.

i'm a larger size and it sounds like i should size down at least 2 sizes if i want to do the wait 6 months and wash deal.

for the second pair i was going to get a larger size and do a shrink to fit treatment. but now i'm reading the jeans are sanforized and won't shrink all that much?

thoughts anyone?

-Jeff

2. nastyandy

nastyandy Senior member

wow, this is so confusing. finally looking to pull the trigger on two pairs of these but it looks like my reasoning is a little faulty.

i'm a larger size and it sounds like i should size down at least 2 sizes if i want to do the wait 6 months and wash deal.

for the second pair i was going to get a larger size and do a shrink to fit treatment. but now i'm reading the jeans are sanforized and won't shrink all that much?

thoughts anyone?

-Jeff

I would still size down, at least 1 size. Even if they shrink after washing, they will expand again after you wear them.

I got my slim bootcuts in size 30 and I wear a 31. They are now larger in the waist, but they still fit comfortably, especially as I have muscular legs.

3. smw356

smw356 Senior member

they dont really shrink, maybe like half an inch on the waist and half an inch on the inseam. Don't buy these based on tagged size make sure you get all the measurements, because different batches of these fit really different. You should be able to figure it out from waist/theigh/hem/knee/inseam measurements. They dont really stretch out a whole lot in the hips/thiegh area either so don't really count on that.

4. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

The two I own are tagged 32 (I'm a 34 waist, they are the RRL Slim fit boot cuts) and they are an inch too big in the waist but the thighs and calves fit great. I'm hoping to get at least a 1/2 of shrinkage in the waist when I wash and dry them.

5. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

sweet. as usual, you guys rock! just picked up a pair of 34s. [​IMG]

-Jeff

6. jean_connoisseur23

jean_connoisseur23 Senior member

does the polo store sell RRL's??

7. whodini

whodini Senior member

As mentioned before, you really should get full measurements on RRL's before buying a pair as there are different "generations." It seems the more current ones are either spot or an inch or two big on the waist while the older pairs are several inches big (4-5"). I've also noticed that sizes on the old pairs vary by cut (bootcut or slimcut).

My slimcut had a great fit around the thighs/legs and were a little loose around the waist at the begining. 3 months later they waist has expanded at least an inch or more (haven't taken any serious measurements lately). Can't wait to wash them so they'll shrink a bit.

As for RRL's in the store, people have said on the other SF that they've found the distressed versions of the RRL's at outlets. That must be why so many are popping up on ebay these days. Certainly don't see a lot of the one-wash ones like we did 4 months ago. Also noticed that the new slimcut one-washes are sporting a new stitch design on the back pockets. Looks a little girly to me.

8. smw356

smw356 Senior member

Also noticed that the new slimcut one-washes are sporting a new stitch design on the back pockets. Looks a little girly to me.
    They're also extremely tapered, ones with a measured 34 waist taper down to around a 7.25 inch hem.

9. whodini

whodini Senior member

10. whodini

whodini Senior member

Updated pics, now in month 4/6 no washes, although they're getting a little dirty from the mud. Some lighter patches formed around the knees post-Fight Club night, same with pinhole by pocket. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

11. tundrafour

tundrafour Senior member

The day before yesterday, I realized I'd had my bootcuts since February and decided to wash them for the first time. In spite of the fact that I've worn them out and about quite regularly since buying them (almost everyday for a roughly three or four month period, I'd guess), I still have very little fading other than on the knees and the back right pocket (from my wallet). The water was pretty gross, though; I was glad I finally got around to washing them. I didn't quite realize how long I'd had them.

I still have a pair of the straight legs that have been worn maybe a dozen or fewer times. Considering how well the bootcuts are holding up, it'll be years before I wear them out enough to start wearing the straight legs!

Awesome jeans, especially considering, having bought them pretty early on, I was able to get them for less than $30 a pair.

12. whodini

whodini Senior member

No pics? Tease.

13. tundrafour

tundrafour Senior member

No pics? Tease.
    Haha. As soon as I have wear interesting enough to justify breaking out the camera, I'll post some pictures. Maybe I'll have bought a better camera by then, too; it'd be a nice coincidence.

14. Largo

Largo Senior member

Did anyone ever have any luck shrinking these down significantly?

I got a pair with a 32 waist off o' eBay and they're easily an inch+ too large. They fit fine with a belt, and the fit isn't too baggy (I think), but I'm wondering if I should bounce 'em back on the intraweb, or if they'll come in a little.

15. whodini

whodini Senior member

They'll shrink a little (4% max I'd say), but then you'd still have the problem of having them stretch back just as fast.

Bounce them.

16. Seafinch

Seafinch Senior member

whodini,
    are the rrl's you've got selvage? I usualy wear a 33 - do you think a 29 in these will work? Thanks.

17. whodini

whodini Senior member

I'll make a definitive list for you and others I'm sure will ask after you regarding RRL's: 1) Read this thread from the very beginning. It goes over roughly 99% of any question you might have. http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=17761 2) GET ACTUAL (READ: NOT JUST TAGGED) MEASUREMENTS BEFORE YOU BUY. There are many generations out there on the market, many without rhyme or reason to the tagged size vs. actual size. 3) Measure the waist of your favorite pair of jeans and compare it to the measurements on the RRL's. Depending on how you want your jeans to fit in the long run, either get your exact size for a regular fit or a size or two down for a tighter fit. 4) If you go for a tighter fit, THEY WILL STRETCH OUT anywhere from two inches or more. Once you've worn them in as much as you'd like to, washing them will bring them back to the original size or smaller. 5) Although SANFORIZED, they MIGHT shrink up to 4-5% (MAX) after the wash. If your pair is LOOSE to begin with, it's going to stay that way or even become looser. After the wash, they will stretch back out to the waist size you want. 6) ALL RRL jeans are selvage.

18. smw356

smw356 Senior member

6) ALL RRL jeans are selvage.

all except some of the pre-distressed authentic straights

19. Seafinch

Seafinch Senior member

20. whodini

whodini Senior member

all except some of the pre-distressed authentic straights
    I'd like to see examples of where you've seen that. Otherwise, RRL uses the same selvage material for all their jeans. Here's an example from their more current line: http://cgi.ebay.com/Ralph-Lauren-RRL...QQcmdZViewItem