• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rozsnyai shoes

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few months back I had this little idea, but since I want to make it seem more important, I’m going to call it a vision. I had a few pairs from László Vass, which were more than enough to convince me of the skill and finishing of the Austro-Hungarian school of shoemaking. I was sure the country housed more makers just waiting for discovery. Mind you, Vass is well-known thanks to the book 'Handmade Shoes for Men', yet I've never come across any advertisements of theirs on international business or lifestyle magazines. The same is true for other manufacturers, too. A quick search turned out some eight or nine cordwainers and artisanal makers retailing in Budapest. I chose Rozsnyai for the models and details on their website as well as the swell English their customer service spoke and wrote.

After a few emails I received leather samples in mid-brown shades for potential MTM orders along with instructions for measuring. A trip and visit was not possible for me, so I sent in my preferred details and measurements. Below's a few shots of my unorthodox (not the traditional swooping derby, but half-brogue) Budapester pair in the making. I'll update the end result soon.

Details:

-Fully handmade by healthy Hungarian hands
-Mid-brown buffalo leather
-Budapest last
-Half-brogue model instead of derby
-Dark purple lining
-Natural welt
-White goyser stitching
-Vibram Eton rubber sole

Rozsnyai_MTM_shoes_for_Ville.jpg

Rozsnyai_MTM_shoes_for_Ville02.jpg

Rozsnyai_MTM_shoes_for_Ville03.jpg

Rozsnyai_MTM_shoes_for_Ville04.jpg

Rozsnyai_MTM_shoes_for_Ville05.jpg

Rozsnyai_MTM_shoes_for_Ville06.jpg

Rozsnyai_MTM_shoes_for_Ville07.jpg

Rozsnyai_MTM_shoes_for_Ville08.jpg

Rozsnyai_MTM_shoes_for_Ville09.jpg

Rozsnyai_MTM_shoes_for_Ville10.jpg

Rozsnyai_MTM_shoes_for_Ville11.jpg

Rozsnyai_MTM_shoes_for_Ville12.jpg

Rozsnyai_MTM_shoes_for_Ville13.jpg

Rozsnyai_MTM_shoes_for_Ville14.jpg

Rozsnyai_MTM_shoes_for_Ville15.jpg

Rozsnyai_MTM_shoes_for_Ville16.jpg

thelonius

Reaction score
A few months back I had this little idea, but since I want to make it seem more important, I’m going to call it a vision. I had a few pairs from László Vass, which were more than enough to convince me of the skill and finishing of the Austro-Hungarian school of shoemaking. I was sure the country housed more makers just waiting for discovery. Mind you, Vass is well-known thanks to the book 'Handmade Shoes for Men', yet I've never come across any advertisements of theirs on international business or lifestyle magazines. The same is true for other manufacturers, too. A quick search turned out some eight or nine cordwainers and artisanal makers retailing in Budapest. I chose Rozsnyai for the models and details on their website as well as the swell English their customer service spoke and wrote.

After a few emails I received leather samples in mid-brown shades for potential MTM orders along with instructions for measuring. A trip and visit was not possible for me, so I sent in my preferred details and measurements. Below's a few shots of my unorthodox (not the traditional swooping derby, but half-brogue) Budapester pair in the making. I'll update the end result soon.

Details:

-Fully handmade by healthy Hungarian hands
-Mid-brown buffalo leather
-Budapest last
-Half-brogue model instead of derby
-Dark purple lining
-Natural welt
-White goyser stitching
-Vibram Eton rubber sole

They look really beautiful and I suppose they must be finished now. Are you satisfied with them ? I have the same urge to start getting to know Budapest from a shoe point of view.

Last edited:

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, yes, I had forgotten this thread.

Here are some photos of the finished pair:

Anatomy_of_Rozsnyai_Shoes_at_Keikari_dot_com.jpg

Anatomy_of_Rozsnyai_Shoes_at_Keikari_dot_com02.jpg

Anatomy_of_Rozsnyai_Shoes_at_Keikari_dot_com03.jpg

Anatomy_of_Rozsnyai_Shoes_at_Keikari_dot_com04.jpg

Anatomy_of_Rozsnyai_Shoes_at_Keikari_dot_com05.jpg

Anatomy_of_Rozsnyai_Shoes_at_Keikari_dot_com06.jpg

Anatomy_of_Rozsnyai_Shoes_at_Keikari_dot_com07.jpg

Anatomy_of_Rozsnyai_Shoes_at_Keikari_dot_com08.jpg

Anatomy_of_Rozsnyai_Shoes_at_Keikari_dot_com09.jpg

Anatomy_of_Rozsnyai_Shoes_at_Keikari_dot_com10.jpg

Anatomy_of_Rozsnyai_Shoes_at_Keikari_dot_com11.jpg

Anatomy_of_Rozsnyai_Shoes_at_Keikari_dot_com12.jpg

Anatomy_of_Rozsnyai_Shoes_at_Keikari_dot_com13.jpg

Anatomy_of_Rozsnyai_Shoes_at_Keikari_dot_com14.jpg

Anatomy_of_Rozsnyai_Shoes_at_Keikari_dot_com15.jpg

Anatomy_of_Rozsnyai_Shoes_at_Keikari_dot_com16.jpg

Anatomy_of_Rozsnyai_Shoes_at_Keikari_dot_com17.jpg

Anatomy_of_Rozsnyai_Shoes_at_Keikari_dot_com18.jpg

Instead of a review I wrote a presentation which can be found from the link below. It's a clean shoe with a few interesting details I haven't found from other makers. There are around a dozen skilled Hungarian firms besides Vass, and Rozsnyai has nothing to be ashamed of. If only they'd setup webstores so more men would give them a go.

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...and to round up a series, below are some photos from my other MTM pair from Rozsnyai. These are MTM austerity oxfords in orange-brown Italian buffalo leather with round but chiseled toe, natural welt with white stitching, dark purple lining, flush steel toe guards and single oak bark leather soles with beveled waist. The pair arrived in a sturdy gold colour box with dark green velvet lid and wooden shoe trees.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nicely finished Villi. Especially the Italian style soles. Reminiscent of Harris shoes.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From the photos, this is literally a 'bespoke' shoe isn't it...

I wonder if I sent my last to them what will happened.....

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you, meister. I only asked for a beveled waist and left them free hands in the execution. I do love the wheeling and signature, which won't be seen when worn but I'll know they are there. Just to show that care and effort were put into the pair.

add911_11, these are MTM shoes. I took measurements with the instructions sent to me and chose a readymade last to be modified accordingly. They were my first MTM pair and taught me how mistaken I was to think that I owned well-fitting shuus. Rozsnyai also makes bespoke shoes, but who knows what might happen if you'd loan them your last.

UnnamedPlayer

Reaction score
Prices seem resolvable considering outside the EU there is the 20% reduction of VAT.

What was the shipping cost?
This is where I find most foreign/online companies fall down.

I can tolerate $400 for a pair of handcrafted shoe, but I don't like paying $60 to deliver them.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Prices seem resolvable considering outside the EU there is the 20% reduction of VAT.

What was the shipping cost?
This is where I find most foreign/online companies fall down.

I can tolerate $400 for a pair of handcrafted shoe, but I don't like paying $60 to deliver them.
It costs a lot to ship overseas. Just from personal experience - a lot of these small makers have fairly low margins, and they really can't afford to eat the shipping. I think that spending a total of $460 for handcrafted shoes is a bargain, no matter how you cut it.

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great looking shoes! Might have to try them next; (Buday currently shipping) unfortunately, Atilla will only make shoes if you visit the shop for fitting so sending measurements is a good option. Thanks for the writeup VR

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
UnnamedPlayer, did your read the price list at all? You will find what you're looking for inside. You can always send a message and ask for a quote for a pair of your dreams.

OzzyJones, I'm sure Europe houses many talented makers just waiting to be discovered, though language barriers and lack of interest in marketing may hold back most. Shoemaking Forum alone (on Facebook) has some 4000 members and dozens of them have potential.

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

UnnamedPlayer, did your read the price list at all? You will find what you're looking for inside. You can always send a message and ask for a quote for a pair of your dreams.

OzzyJones, I'm sure Europe houses many talented makers just waiting to be discovered, though language barriers and lack of interest in marketing may hold back most. Shoemaking Forum alone (on Facebook) has some 4000 members and dozens of them have potential.

Good to know; tho I don't use FB

jamesryan123

Reaction score
The shoes you comissions from them, did they come to 530euro in total per pair? Just wondering if they add the made by measure 100euro on if you send them your measurements?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads