"Royal Wedding" attire

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by stanwelks, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Senior member

He is dressed in RL and he is wearing the OBE medal on the wrong lapel. But otherwise looks good. Of course, he always looks handsome, the lucky guy. Too bad the old lady can't smile. Kinda "wrong" of her to wear midnight blue since it looks like black to a wedding. But her hat is fun.

You sure the photo isn't a mirror image?

2. fabio1989

fabio1989 New Member

I'm a big fan of the wing lapel but think it's weird that he went with RLPL and not a Savile Row tailor

3. Sartorial1

Sartorial1 Senior member

The only critique I've heard so far about Becks is that he wore his medal on the wrong lapel.
    He was probably confused by the mirror as he got dressed.

4. VelvetGreen

VelvetGreen Senior member

I think the only thing that let Beckham down slightly was his slightly cheap silvery look tie. I would have gone for a deep burgundy or rich blue. The gentleman in the grey coat is none other than the King of Tonga. Very stylish. [​IMG] The Metropolitan Police also looked extremely smart. And Pippa M. Oh lordy. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Sartorial1

Sartorial1 Senior member

You sure the photo isn't a mirror image?
    Mirror image does seem to be common in published photos.

Just found a shot with enough background to determine if reversed. It is not.

6. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

james_timothy - that's Prince Albert of Monaco whose gray suit you put down. He's done a lot worse things than wearing that suit.... Fiancee looks stunning, anyway.
    Sometimes it is best not to know who you are talking about- surely one doesn't want to compare the King of Tonga with Prince Albert of Monaco. [​IMG] Still, the non-uniformed man in that image that I think I like the best is the gentleman third row back, behind the two uniformed men with blue sashes- dark coat, light vest. Him and the gentleman behind him, the one who looks like an elder-Binge. I like his tie.

7. Percy Trimmer

Percy Trimmer Senior member

The gentleman in the grey coat is none other than the King of Tonga. Very stylish. [​IMG]
    . . . and he's wearing spats!

8. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

[​IMG] Here's a better image of Prince Albert. On closer examination I still give the nod to the King of Tonga. But look in the background- it turns out my favorite looks is that the security guards favor!

9. GBR

GBR Senior member

The only critique I've heard so far about Becks is that he wore his medal on the wrong lapel. All that aside, I thought he looked alright.

Father of the bride looked, naturally, very respectable.

It is not a "medal", it is the insignia of an Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE).

10. GBR

GBR Senior member

An extremely well and properly dressed assembly of people.

11. Lafont

Lafont Senior member

Yes, veddy! I particularly relish the hats - especially the ladies'. No one does ladies' hats anymore like the British. When on a trip to Windsor in '07 the bus passed through a town near there and the guide pointed out a shop that specializes in renting out (selling also?) "wedding hats." Perhaps men's too. Big, big business in England.[​IMG]

12. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

I actually like Elton John's look there (non traditional color included). Not too many times in the last 40 years I would have been able to say that!

Head to toe traditional, apart from a tie that wasn't that far out of line with what other people were wearing.

I was expecting a sequined morning coat, or at least a gaudy waistcoat. I'm actually somewhat disappointed that that didn't happen.

13. Tristan.sf

Tristan.sf Senior member

Here's a better picture of Princess Beatrice's hat.

And here the evening wear; it looks like William is wearing brogues.. I do like double-breasted dinner-suits though.
    [​IMG]

P.S. And one more picture of the lovely Pippa Middleton.

14. OTM

OTM Senior member

+1 on the pippa

15. Melcombe

Melcombe Well-Known Member

I think the only thing that let Beckham down slightly was his slightly cheap silvery look tie. I would have gone for a deep burgundy or rich blue.

The gentleman in the grey coat is none other than the King of Tonga. Very stylish. [​IMG]

That is a truly epic morning coat - and the spats are just fantastic. HM The King of Tonga might just single handedly steer formal daywear in a very attractive direction.

Brilliant. Just brilliant.