• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Row of stitching by lapel-roll

rexor12

Reaction score
What is the purpose of the stitching underneath the lapel, exactly at the roll or fold of the lapel. On one of my suits who i thought was fully fused i today noticed that it had visible dimples in a double row underneath the lapel, almost exactly where the lapels fold.
Is this really padstitching and my suit has canvassed lapels and fused body, or this this stitching serve any other purpose - like connecting the chestpiece to the lapels? Is this what someone called internal stitching?

I have some other suits that have the real type of what i call padstitching, lots of dimples on the underside of the lapel, and this is a similar stitching but there's just one row following the fold of the lapel

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
All fused suits, regardless of what you may have heard elsewhere, have what we call a "floating chest piece". It is affixed to the garment in the armhole and along the roll line. All suits (fused and canvas) have a piece of tape sewn along the roll line which is held short- some fabric has been drawn up along this tape to keep the roll line tight to the chest- we call this the bridle tape. In fused suits, this bridle tape serves a double purpose- to draw the roll line short, and to hold the chest piece to the front; what you are seeing is the two lines of blind stitching which holds the bridle tape and chest piece to the front.

J

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 275 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.6%