Router/switch - confused...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by wetnose, Oct 5, 2011.

1. wetnose

wetnose Senior member

Hi,

Presently my broadband modem and my wifi router is located in the basement. The router has 1 ethernet cable going in from the modem, and 2 ethernet cables going out: 1 to a laptop, and 1 to a PS3.

I've noticed that the signal is often poor in the second floor of the house, so I went to buy this:

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Power...ageNumber=5&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

It's kinda neat because I can plug one of them into a power socket in the basement then plug the other one into a power socket on the second floor then have a functioning network coming out of both powersockets.

I want to mount the wifi router on the second floor, so can I just run the ethernet line from the modem to a 5 port switch, then from the switch to the netgear adapter? Or should I get another router for the basement?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  2. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

just get a switch. it doesn't matter whether router/cable modem is upstairs or downstairs. You just plug a cable into a LAN port and from there to your new switch. you may/may not need a crossover cable to connect the back of the router to the switch depending on whether your switch has auto-sensing ports. if it doesn't the link won't come up between the devices so it's safest to just buy one.

I've never used powerline adapters before so i can't tell you how well they will perform but unless you're doing really high speeds it's probably fine.

3. BaaBaaBlackFleece

BaaBaaBlackFleece Active Member

from what i've read, performance is largely dependent on your home's wiring. i considered trying one out, but living in an older house, in an area with occasionally fluctuating power i decided against it.