• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Router sending both N and G signals out at the same time?

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Hi guys. Odd question for sf, but I'm 99% sure there has to be someone tech savvy around here. I was wondering if one router could send out both signals at once. My computer supports N, while my mother's doesn't, but I don't really want to lose out on the faster speeds I've been getting with N (unless, of course, this was all just in my mind), and I was wondering if there were routers that could send simultaneous signals. I read online in a cnet review that mine couldn't, but I was wondering how I would set it up on one that could, if it exists. Thanks!

Token

Reaction score
The Apple Airport Extreme is a dual-band router that can send both G and N at once. Don't have one, so I don't know how to set it up. I'm sure you can download the manual. Of course, N won't make your internet connection any faster.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^Yes, the Airport is dual band, but if both a G and an N user are simultaneously connected, the Airport throttles both down to the slower band, iirc.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
^Yes, the Airport is dual band, but if both a G and an N user are simultaneously connected, the Airport throttles both down to the slower band, iirc.

I see...is there any way that I could use both without having to compromise?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Please, no swearing or racial epithets in thread titles. Read forum rules or thread will be deleted.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The newer Airport Extremes can run both N and G without slowing down N. N runs at the higher 5GHz frequencies. I believe there are other dual-band routers out now, but I love my 2 AEx FWIW.

--Andre

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
The newer Airport Extremes can run both N and G without slowing down N. N runs at the higher 5GHz frequencies. I believe there are other dual-band routers out now, but I love my 2 AEx FWIW.

--Andre

I didn't know this, Andre.
Thanks for the info!

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
I didn't know this, Andre.
Thanks for the info!

You're welcome. The older ones (but same form factor as the current ones) that I have don't support dual-band, so be careful if you buy used.

--Andre

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have both Extreme and Express, but neither are new enough to handle both bands simultaneously.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads